diy solar

diy solar

When 440 watt panels make 500 watts?

Skypower

Solar Wizard
Today is a cloudy day with some rain but something weird happened. The clouds thinned out and let the sun poke through in places. When that happened I could hear the inverter fans start to whine. Then I heard a pitch I never heard before and glanced at the Watts and was confused by what I saw. Apparently, when the sun got a small clear shot at the panels AND the clouds were thin and back lit by the sun which greatly increased the total solar energy. That and the panels were very cool helped too. When the clouds were well away from the the sun, the panels were back to the normal sub 440 Watts. Has anyone else ever noticed this phenomenon?

Yep, the old cloud edge effect.. I’ve had my array for 5 years but the other day the charge controller said 6950w from my 5660w array from the sun poking out.. That’s the highest I’ve ever got out of it. sun must be stronger these days.

Thanks guys! “Cloud edge effect” got to remember that one. Thought I’d seen it happen once before, but I thought I’d had too many beers. Wrote it off as beer fog.

Thanks guys! “Cloud edge effect” got to remember that one. Thought I’d seen it happen once before, but I thought I’d had too many beers. Wrote it off as beer fog.
I believe that would be "beer fog effect".
My cloud edge effect and beer fog effect don't usually coincide, but when they do... Look out

Back