diy solar

diy solar

Where can I save a few bucks without putting myself in danger?

va3atr

Hi all, it's my 1st post, super newbie.

Which components is it okay to buy cheap/off-brand options when assembling a basic power system for a van. For example: Cheap solar panels are okay but cheap inverter could catch fire. Just wondering where I can save a few bucks.

I need solar panels, 300-400 amp hours of lith batteries, inverter/charger combo (so as to retain shore power capability). I’ve already decided on Renogy’s DC-DC w/solar MPPT combo. I'd like to retain the option for shore power, so an inverter/charger combo is appealing. This is for an old campervan, used mainly for weekends. I’m looking to power our 12v fridge and recharge laptops and phones.

I hope this topic hasn't been covered.

Thanks for your thoughts, Anthony

Well, just as a quick list:

Tier-1: Victron, Midnite, Sunny - Top tier but you pay for it.

Tier-2: Renogy, Epever, HQST - Best value for turning solar DC into battery DC. Pretty well regarded and MUCH cheaper.

Tier-3: PowMr, Ecoworthy, NeverHeardOfYou - Cheaper and mostly does the job as long as you don't really push it. Not a good value as they're not that much cheaper than Tier-2 stuff.

You might look at a mpp aio like the 1012lv this gives you a charger from shore power, a scc for your panels and a 1000watt inverter in one package for a little over $400 or possibly a growatt

these are not tier 1 but decent quality

The whole market has turned to 48V as a base standard so there is not strange that MFGs are not focusing the 12V market anymore ^^.
The new customer in the market today should really not buy anything else than 48V especially when planning ahead.
You will also save on thinner cables with 48 vs. 12V so that is also a plus considering the high cost of copper.

The whole market has turned to 48V as a base standard so there is not strange that MFGs are not focusing the 12V market anymore ^^.
The new customer in the market today should really not buy anything else than 48V especially when planning ahead.
You will also save on thinner cables with 48 vs. 12V so that is also a plus considering the high cost of copper.

True, but there are still those in need of a 12v bus for things like campers, RV's, vanmods, etc. Being as that most 3Kw units on 24v are asking for 150-ish amps, it's just a little disappointing that nobody is doing a 12v system with 150-ish amps and a 1500w inverter.

A guy can dream, right? ;)

OP:
/coffee
/popcorn

Awaits gory solar related injury pictures incoming bcz. saving a buck ^^ :)

OP:
/coffee
/popcorn

Awaits gory solar related injury pictures incoming bcz. saving a buck ^^ :)
lol, yes, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to make the news! Was just asking where/if a Chevrolet will do the trick as opposed to the Cadillac.

Well, just as a quick list:

Tier-1: Victron, Midnite, Sunny - Top tier but you pay for it.

Tier-2: Renogy, Epever, HQST - Best value for turning solar DC into battery DC. Pretty well regarded and MUCH cheaper.

Tier-3: PowMr, Ecoworthy, NeverHeardOfYou - Cheaper and mostly does the job as long as you don't really push it. Not a good value as they're not that much cheaper than Tier-2 stuff.
That's really helpful - Thank-you.

Hi all, it's my 1st post, super newbie.

Which components is it okay to buy cheap/off-brand options when assembling a basic power system for a van. For example: Cheap solar panels are okay but cheap inverter could catch fire. Just wondering where I can save a few bucks.

I need solar panels, 300-400 amp hours of lith batteries, inverter/charger combo (so as to retain shore power capability). I’ve already decided on Renogy’s DC-DC w/solar MPPT combo. I'd like to retain the option for shore power, so an inverter/charger combo is appealing. This is for an old campervan, used mainly for weekends. I’m looking to power our 12v fridge and recharge laptops and phones.

Hello Anthony, my best suggestion would be to spend many hours reading this forum, and focus on those manufacturers that you DON'T see mentioned very often, meaning they do not have as many problems. Don't cheap out on buying components for a solar system. This system will be powered up virtually EVERY day, and you want to have ultimate confidence in your systems safety and longevity. How many people here have issues that you really don't want to put up with during the next decade or more? @Rednecktek, above, listed several good companies to buy from, and I'll add another - Schneider/Xantrex. My personal experience with my inverter, charge controllers, and SCP has been great. I just turned 'off' my inverter after 11 years of constantly being 'on'. I added another charger controller for an additional array that I will be adding shortly, as well as replacing my 11 year old Concorde Lifeline AGM batteries for 2 lithium 220ah Trophy Batteries. After I finished the install, the inverter powered right up, and after changing some parameters on the SCP, the system began performing just as it had for the past 11 years.

I know people have budget concerns, or wife issues (like me), but please try to buy quality components & be sure you are confident in the install. Shop carefully and you can save quite a bit.

Good Luck,

Philip

For me in almost all the DIY projects I undertake, the cost saving comes from my own labor.
I do it myself and save the money I would have to pay a pro.
In each new task I usually start as a newbie, I offset my savings by purchasing premium parts and sometimes better tools.

IMO purchasing quality parts that are fit for purpose is generally less expensive.
My advice is to spend the time to figure out your system requirements before you start purchasing things.

Last edited:
Hello Anthony, my best suggestion would be to spend many hours reading this forum, and focus on those manufacturers that you DON'T see mentioned very often, meaning they do not have as many problems. Don't cheap out on buying components for a solar system. This system will be powered up virtually EVERY day, and you want to have ultimate confidence in your systems safety and longevity. How many people here have issues that you really don't want to put up with during the next decade or more? @Rednecktek, above, listed several good companies to buy from, and I'll add another - Schneider/Xantrex. My personal experience with my inverter, charge controllers, and SCP has been great. I just turned 'off' my inverter after 11 years of constantly being 'on'. I added another charger controller for an additional array that I will be adding shortly, as well as replacing my 11 year old Concorde Lifeline AGM batteries for 2 lithium 220ah Trophy Batteries. After I finished the install, the inverter powered right up, and after changing some parameters on the SCP, the system began performing just as it had for the past 11 years.

I know people have budget concerns, or wife issues (like me), but please try to buy quality components & be sure you are confident in the install. Shop carefully and you can save quite a bit.

Good Luck,

Philip
Thanks Philip, that's useful advice. It hadn't occurred to me that the brands you hear most about are those who advertise and those with lots of issues.

For me in almost all the DIY projects I undertake, the cost saving comes from my own labor.
I do it myself and save the money I would have to pay a pro.
In each knew task I usually start as a newbie, I offset my savings by purchasing premium parts and sometimes better tools.

IMO purchasing quality parts that are fit for purpose is generally less expensive.
My advice is to spend the time to figure out your system requirements before you start purchasing things.
That's actually the same approach I took with auto repair. Buy good stuff and do the work myself. Sometimes I make mistakes but at least I've learned something. :)

My impression so far is that I could make some VERY expensive mistakes when it comes to electrical business. eek! It's intimidating.

Va3atr,
I am in the Victron camp, I full-time in an RV. I designed & installed my own system. Yes it it more expensive, but worth it (to me).

The data I get is priceless. Watch a few YouTube videos on the Cerbo/touch or CCGX. Knowing how the power is flowing and the status of the batteries, from just a glance at the screen is part of what makes life easy when using it. The other part I really like is when troubleshooting, each part reports it’s own data so it can help with finding issues.

For solar, roof space is ultra premium! So find good panels that fit your space the best.

Good Luck with your project!

Va3atr,
I am in the Victron camp, I full-time in an RV. I designed & installed my own system. Yes it it more expensive, but worth it (to me).

The data I get is priceless. Watch a few YouTube videos on the Cerbo/touch or CCGX. Knowing how the power is flowing and the status of the batteries, from just a glance at the screen is part of what makes life easy when using it. The other part I really like is when troubleshooting, each part reports it’s own data so it can help with finding issues.

For solar, roof space is ultra premium! So find good panels that fit your space the best.

Good Luck with your project!
I switched over to victorn SCC after using epever. They seem much faster and I haven't had any "bugs" yet with hardware or software.

Back