diy solar

diy solar

Where is @Will Prowse?

will, sent you a pm with a question and idea for video but maybe the open forum would be better.

i have a bluetti 300 coming to replace a phonosolar power hub that protected my freezers, the power hub inverter is shot i believe.

i wanted to get several batteries with it but due to lack of fun tickets, i could only afford 1 battery. I purchased a pair of power queen 200ah batteries because i thought the powerhubs issue was dead batteries, I would really like to use them on the bluetti. i have seen where you could up the voltage and feed the bluetti but i really want to have the system treat them like a regular bluetti battery. maybe a video would go over good because i dont think i am the only one that would like to do this.

My latest 48V system was the most fun I have had in the last year on the channel. And I am trying to think of ways to improve that system. It seems perfect. I am running 13kW daily intermittently daily (two ac's and the ev charger) at high efficiency, and not a single hiccup. The system has been running 24/7 since I built it, and I just hit 2 mega Watt hours. I love it. Especially for the price versus a sol ark or victron. I still have not been able to kill a MPP or any other all in one unit. They just keep on working. I have destroyed inverters in the past too, but these units have not given me issues.

I think modular 12V systems that can fit in a van (think milk crate system on steroids) may help a lot of people. I saw some van life systems last week and people may need more help in that area. Most of the youtube videos covering van systems are super boring and there is zero new information being posted on this topic. Might be fun to think of a new way to build those systems.
I built a "milk crate" system (12v 280Ah) and it's brilliant, based on your video. Perhaps a newer video, with a parts list and detailed schematic would be useful. Mine currently powers my garage lights, ebike and power tool charging, and fan. I put a 4 wheel dolly under the crate and a leash to enable me to pull it out of the garage and into my Scamp camper. It's messy looking, but works fabulously.

Will needs to get up with Kidder on evtv.me and do the Jack Rickard thing with complete telsa m3 packs. That will work his board brain..

I'm always present here or checking the channel. Trying to think of a new fun direction to take with the videos. Have done a few hundreds videos now and I feel like I'm repeating myself. I actually filmed some videos this month, but didn't post them because they were not very useful.
Looking for you to test Ionic LiFePO4 batteries

Series vs. parallel? Those half-cell panels are parallel-serial internally, which will hang up a lot of MPPT algorithms with partial shading. Could be good to demonstrate that.
In a series string, perhaps, but half-cut panels are ideal for parallel strings that suffer from partial shading. Half panels are either clear of shade or they are cut out of production, but you’ll get full production levels from every half-panel that is clear through the day.

Very easy for the MPPT because it’s just staying at Vmp all day long…
Parallel strings of different orientations - SMA published results showing only 2% less than having them on separate MPPT, but have since taken it offline.

The mobile crowd usually has flat panels on their roof. Any quick to erect & secure for driving tilt setups suitable for them?

@Will Prowse
In one of the recent videos you commented that low-frequency inverters are good for large start-up surge currents for things like motors.....but you also pointed out that a properly sized high-frequency inverter can work just as well. How about a video that dives into how to 'properly size' for start-up loads? This is a common discussion point on the forum so I bet a lot of folks would be interested in your thoughts on it.

P.S. It has been 3 weeks without a new video..... some of us may start to go into withdrawal soon. :ROFLMAO:

I'm always present here or checking the channel. Trying to think of a new fun direction to take with the videos. Have done a few hundreds videos now and I feel like I'm repeating myself. I actually filmed some videos this month, but didn't post them because they were not very useful.
A video on the cheapest solar system that will power a full size refrigerator nothing else.

My fun videos get downvoted. Or if I share opinions or entertain. Technically, instructional videos get the upvotes, and I'm here to appeal to the masses. Need to find the next thing that can really help people. I don't want to entertain. I want to help people. Without wasting their time.
Why not do a long format series of videos consulting on a real world off grid DIY project.

Start with a site survey and use case video, then a sizing analysis video, followed by a basic schematic, product selection, detailed schematics, build/test….

Think HGTV or DIY network format style but with lower production quality.

View attachment 104224
I saw this one on Youtube, and I really like it. It's the same racking as I mentioned for the Parking curbs but he used footings and 4x6s. I think it looks great though, but I wouldn't want to dig all those holes or mix the concrete.
That looks like a little less work than digging holes! :). I saw that one and thought about doing it, but I chickened out because I’m in Oklahoma and we get crazy stupid straight winds a lot. Of course, a tornado and game over anyways. ??

@Will Prowse You haven't done enough Victron equipment. Do the expensive stuff that none of us can afford. In true Victron fashion, get yourself a large ocean capable boat, put it in your driveway and see what your neighbors think about it.

Best comment on thread ? ????

Best part about it is that he lives in Nevada. If they say anything or give him weird looks he can just say that he's preparing for the future and we'll see who gets the last laugh.

He needs to expand his operation and hire an assistant. Will could do the higher end server-racks and whatnot, while the assistant will be tasked with opening and testing every single 100ah LFP battery that hits the market. :)

I'm still hoping he grabs that old Growatt grid tie box and makes up a micro-grid AC tied system for funsies. He's got the parts and it wouldn't be yet ANOTHER Chins teardown.

Or how about a review or two on the higher amperage motorcycle/ATV drop-in LFP batteries with UberBMS StartingAmps!

Or how about a review or two on the higher amperage motorcycle/ATV drop-in LFP batteries with UberBMS StartingAmps!

Already covered - starts from about 2012 over on advrider:

Funny - obviously different application, but the same sort of overall questions. Even an fla-forever haunter active 10 years later to this very day! :) Uncover the bogus "PbEq" specification that manufacturers used in a confusing attempt to help consumers switch - usually too small!

Even manufacturer participation - with the usual arrows on their backs. Different application, same lack of respect...

Last edited:
I'm curious to find a single lithium battery to replace my 2x lead acids in my diesel. Save weight and increase space in the engine bay.

Anybody know of any with more than 1800 CCA?

I'm curious to find a single lithium battery to replace my 2x lead acids in my diesel. Save weight and increase space in the engine bay.

Anybody know of any with more than 1800 CCA?
Engine compartment is too hot for LiFePO4 batteries.
CCA is a lead acid starting battery parameter. LiFePO4 battery max discharge is limited by the BMS max amp capacity.

He needs to expand his operation and hire an assistant. Will could do the higher end server-racks and whatnot, while the assistant will be tasked with opening and testing every single 100ah LFP battery that hits the market. :)
Yes, the assistants could actually perform the battery cell drill and puncture testing.

diy solar

diy solar
Back