diy solar

diy solar

Where is @Will Prowse?

To install my Hoymiles microinverters, all I need is a fused AC Disconnect switch and a line-side tap connection to the meter panel. It's like a 1-hour job for an electrician that coordinates the shutdown with the utility. Once the switch is installed, I would just need to connect the output of my microinverter sub-panel (AC combiner) to the switch. Done!

Solar panels, a bucket of rocks, plug-n-play microinverters, a combiner panel, and a switch? It can't get much easier than that, honestly!

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, and I would hire a master electrician into my business as legally required to do electrical parts of the work that require it, as well as advise me, because I'm not an electrician, etc..

That being said, am I missing the part in the above quote where the Hoymiles available at an affordable cost would be zero export so you don't have to get a grid connect agreement?

And wouldn't you have to pull a permit in many jurisdictions to do that easy one hours worth of work anyway? I'm not as familiar with the electricians side of things as I want to be, but from my reading of various laws (in Texas) anything involving a new circuit or installation of a subpanel requires a permit and possibly an inspection?

This is hard to allow the way US wiring is done. You could do it if the electrical meter could communicate with the microinverters, but you still need to make sure they are connected in a place where they won't overload any wiring.

As for comparing solar to other hazards that we tolerate, it would likely be much easier to do if equipment was more standardized and had better "inherent safety" measures.

Yes, that would be the easy connect port I mentioned. Think of something like a portable generator connect port, but not 30 amps, that can securely hold a cable in a water resistant housing, for a single microinverter with a single solar panel, each plug would probably only need to be what, 2-4 amps worth at 120v, less at 240v?

The lacking standard is exactly the problem, we need a standard that is easy and inexpensive and bypasses much of the existing regulatory system in place for permits and inspection. The electrician installs the standard connection device, and from that point on, until the number of plugs are used up, panels can be added, etc..

Before anybody mentions it, I know things like extension cords, generator hookups, etc.. aren't meant for permanent connections.. these are things to be solved / worked around for the good of adoption, not commandments on stone tablets.

Shading is only an issue for location of panels.
With bypass diodes built into every panel, these days. You wire the panels for efficiency. Highest safe voltage strings possible. Paralleled to desired amperage.
Other than making sure you're beneath a safe threshold of what your wiring and inverter can safely handle, is there any reason to change amperage at all?

Other than making sure you're beneath a safe threshold of what your wiring and inverter can safely handle, is there any reason to change amperage at all?
No
Once you set it up, you're done.
Unless you change the system, at a later time.

I'm always present here or checking the channel. Trying to think of a new fun direction to take with the videos. Have done a few hundreds videos now and I feel like I'm repeating myself. I actually filmed some videos this month, but didn't post them because they were not very useful.
I realize this may not be fun, nor new, but I have searched and searched for info about the Epcom LiFePo 48V server rack battery, but can't find ANY reviews! They are one of the few batteries that "compete" with the batteries available in the US, but I live in Mexico. I'm pretty sure they are also available in the US, but I have yet to find a review - good or bad. If you can get your hands on one of those, I'd love to see what you think. https://www.syscom.mx/producto/RLB-100-48-EPCOM-POWERLINE-194923.html

Attachments

• RLB10048-l.png
    RLB10048-l.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 3
I'm always present here or checking the channel. Trying to think of a new fun direction to take with the videos. Have done a few hundreds videos now and I feel like I'm repeating myself. I actually filmed some videos this month, but didn't post them because they were not very useful.
Just for the record I find reviews of current products very helpful. Many of us can’t afford the top of the line stuff. Often the price difference between well built and works and total junk is minimal if no difference at all but how can you tell the difference? Certainly not from the manufacturers advertisements. Your honest opinion about products ant their limitations is very helpful.

My fun videos get downvoted. Or if I share opinions or entertain. Technically, instructional videos get the upvotes, and I'm here to appeal to the masses. Need to find the next thing that can really help people. I don't want to entertain. I want to help people. Without wasting their time.
Hi Will new member [Australia] here I sub on youtube and have learnt alot from your videos thanks. I hear you on feel like repeating you do a lot of battery teardowns. it would get repetitive.
I also sub to Adam Welch and loved his charge controller teardown and reviews maybe you could do some of those

Haha! Yes I still need to do sol ark videos.

I just get tired of doing the same videos over and over again. My channel views do not change much regardless of if I post or not.

Other channels are doing similar tests that I did when I started out, so I want to mix it up and do something different.

While I'm filming I tend to say the same line from at least ten other past videos. Gets a bit repetitive. Want to mix it up. I've done hundreds of videos on the topic now, so the burn out is real.

Also my current system rocks ? it works so well and I love it. Just passed 2 megawatthours.
I'm waiting on two EG4 6.5 for my shop. I'm totally off-grid on two Sol-Ark 12K for my home. I'm looking forward to getting them working soon.

Absolutely! You hit the nail on the head
An old saying that may apply here….

” Dance with the one that brung ya”

Dont forget what made you a rockstar in this industry….
Dont stray to far to either end of the spectrum , high or low .

You can’t survive pleasing just the elite , there’s not enough of them on that ” heady level”.
You can’t survive off the bottom feeders ,their goals are different in life…

The huge bulk of the future of solar will be in the mid ground portion of people.. the everyday guy, the working and thinking guy , as solar creeps into his life, and as solar becomes more accepted and main stream ,your audience will grow exponentially. Keep it fun ,keep it light ,keep your spirit and enthusiasm …..but expect to be criticized by the few no matter what you do.

What you have done is remarkable. It will be a hard act to follow, for you ..or anyone coming behind you.
Good luck in finding that balance.….
Jim….

Here is an Idea will why not play around with hydro or wind power just for fun vids.

How about testing one of these plasma devices?

1658909467035.jpeg

Photo of a plasma reaction experiment conducted by Randell Mills. The unique plasma reaction that he is developing has the potential to produce nearly inexhaustible clean energy.

:)

Will, a very interesting video would be to see the results of adding a highly reflective material under a quality Bi-Facial panel like Mylar sheets or something similar. I have not seen anything on this a I know a lot of people would love to see it.

Back