diy solar

diy solar

Battleborn vs Epoch Batteries (thread migration)

Does it mean anything that Epoch 460 batter only has 230 Max Continuous Charge and battleborn 270 has 300 Max Continuous Charge? Sounds like BB would charge faster with the second alternator that can go to 280 amps? Thank you.

Does it mean anything that Epoch 460 batter only has 230 Max Continuous Charge and battleborn 270 has 300 Max Continuous Charge? Sounds like BB would charge faster with the second alternator that can go to 280 amps? Thank you.
3 Epoch can take in 690a.
4 BB can take in 1200a.
Alternator can only put out 280a.
Nope, doesn't make any difference. ;)

Anytime you start thinking about really throwing a big charge on a battery bank, it’s always a good idea to have a second dedicated Alternator. Alternators that have remote fan cooled rectifiers can fit where large cases can’t. I really like giving the engine/chassis is own system.

3 Epoch can take in 690a.
4 BB can take in 1200a.
Alternator can only put out 280a.
Nope, doesn't make any difference. ;)
Ohhhhhhhh since i am getting multiplies, it ADDS them up? If I was only getting ONE, then it would matter? I think I understand! Woo slowly but surly I am getting there, lol.

Ohhhhhhhh since i am getting multiplies, it ADDS them up? If I was only getting ONE, then it would matter? I think I understand! Woo slowly but surly I am getting there, lol.
Right
With the combined capacity of either choice.
There wouldn't be a difference, until you tried to charge at more than 690a.

One place you can save a few bucks…
Instead of one PowerIn and one Distributor get two PowerIn’s - then look at YouTube for a video on how to add fuses to the PowerIn.

You lose the led electronics board that will tell you if a fuse is blown. Or look at YouTube for a video on how to power that (uses 5v if I remember correctly)

Make sure you use big enough cables for the main line - either 4/0 or a pair of 2/0 (so 2-reds & 2blacks) that goes to the inverter and between the bus bars.

Do a drawing of everything-equipment, wires,fuses, etc. you will understand it better, your installer will follow your plan, and on the road, you will have drawings to understand how it was built in case you have issues/problems.

Post your drawing here and we can help fix any issues.

Vans and travel trailers I would imagine are a big 12v market. Is BB affiliated with Thor, as they see, to be the defacto instal in a lot of systems. Their new battery and multiplex is unique.
looking to see f a 280 will squeeze into an older airstream tongue box as opposed to two G2.
great thread.

Back