diy solar

diy solar

Where's WILL?

My deliveries are delayed. Waiting on 2 gauge copper for next video. I'm doing great, just working out and studying a ton.

Feels great to make less videos for a couple weeks. They can be extremely taxing to crank out all the time. I need to take more breaks.

But it's not about you Will.

It's all about me, why doesn't anyone in the world understand that? :cool:

LOL... You get NO TIME OFF, you work from home all the time eh ! Probably a big bonus given the current situation. Sure is nice to take a break once in a while and get refreshed & reinvigorated. I bet the job jar is still as full as it was before you took your break though... funny how the least pleasant tasks always get stuck at the bottom of the job jar. (just don't tell missus it's glued there)

Yeah, working at home and cranking out videos can easily become a 24/7 job at times, and it's not healthy. I will edit videos at 2am, get 5 hours of sleep, then re-film a segment in the morning and edit the things I missed the night before. Then on to the next video. Over and over.

I actually "start" making videos all the time, but if they do not provide enough utility to my viewers, I delete them. I have started, and failed to finish 3 videos in the last two weeks for this reason. They were not useful enough.

What trips me out is that when I stop posting videos, my older videos rank higher and I make more money (my older videos are more beginner friendly compared to my recent videos, and usually get more views). So taking a break usually causes a pleasant increase in income, surprisingly.

I have noticed my more "technical" and educational based videos rarely get as many views, even though I think they are most useful. It's a bummer when I spend a week on a video and I think that it will help the world, and no one cares for it at all. Then I do a quick product review, and people are praising it for months. Really strange. Ahh well, luckily I love building and teaching about solar power systems for fun regardless, so it doesn't bother me.

No romantic distractions yet. I have too many projects in my life right now to be distracted with a relationship. I would rather be alone and focus. Women can easily distract from work, that's for sure :D

Last edited:
Yeah, working at home and cranking out videos can easily become a 24/7 job at times, and it's not healthy. I will edit videos at 2am, get 5 hours of sleep, then re-film a segment in the morning and edit the things I missed the night before. Then on to the next video. Over and over.

I actually "start" making videos all the time, but if they do not provide enough utility to my viewers, I delete them. I have started, and failed to finish 3 videos in the last two weeks for this reason. They were not useful enough.

What trips me out is that when I stop posting videos, my older videos rank higher and I make more money (my older videos are more beginner friendly compared to my recent videos, and usually get more views). So taking a break usually causes a pleasant increase in income, surprisingly.

I have noticed my more "technical" and educational based videos rarely get as many views, even though I think they are most useful. It's a bummer when I spend a week on a video and I think that it will help the world, and no one cares for it at all. Then I do a quick product review, and people are praising it for months. Really strange. Ahh well, luckily I love building and teaching about solar power systems for fun regardless, so it doesn't bother me.

No romantic distractions yet. I have too many projects in my life right now to be distracted with a relationship. I would rather be alone and focus. Women can easily distract from work, that's for sure :D
Honestly for me the reviews are much more helpful because I think I know everything LOL. What seems to me though is the reviews get you started on a product and then the learning comes later for those of us who really want to understand things. I think people don't try to learn about things they do not know about. So the reviews are like a gateway drug then some get addicted and want to learn more.

I know I have droned ad nauseam about the virtues of my repurposed UPS, my apologies. For anyone on a severe budget they are a gateway drug great for learning. There are a few UPS as inverter videos on YouTube but none are overly relevant or informative.

You create all kinds of comparison reviews for high-tech inverters, and a used low-tech UPS would make an interesting comparison for us DIY followers. They are cheap, perfect-sine, bullet-proof and idiot-proof (I have confirmed the latter). Battery charging and transfer switch functions are built-in. Ensure you find one rated for continuous operation by virtue of the external battery connectors.

Last edited:
Will, I find your technical and educational videos exceptionally helpful. As a beginner at this I have a tall learning curve, but your videos, while sometimes difficult to follow, help flatten that curve. Please keep them coming.

Women can easily distract from work, that's for sure :D

And honestly we use it to our full advantage !!!! ...

As a sidenote though --Its kinda funny - in LA everyone went out of their way to treat females as equals -- out here in West Texas they go out of their way to treat us like women -- its hard to explain -- but honestly -- I prefer the West Texas way much better -- also allot less snowflakes and for the most part only the women are wearing makeup .. LOL )

As far as your videos - I am hoping that you don't ever get burnt out doing it and you keep up the same enthusiasm and - well innocence is the only word that I can think of. Also i learn allot from the comments that ppl leave on the video ... so its sort of a WIN-WIN for me ...

With that said though -- I am going to bet your upcoming CHARGERY video is going to be great -- the issue is that its such a damn good BMS (although i wished it had Bluetooth)(Jason said they are looking at fixing that) that one simple 15 minute video is not going to barely cover it ...

And honestly we use it to our full advantage !!!! ...

As a sidenote though --Its kinda funny - in LA everyone went out of their way to treat females as equals -- out here in West Texas they go out of their way to treat us like women -- its hard to explain -- but honestly -- I prefer the West Texas way much better -- also allot less snowflakes and for the most part only the women are wearing makeup .. LOL )

As far as your videos - I am hoping that you don't ever get burnt out doing it and you keep up the same enthusiasm and - well innocence is the only word that I can think of. Also i learn allot from the comments that ppl leave on the video ... so its sort of a WIN-WIN for me ...

With that said though -- I am going to bet your upcoming CHARGERY video is going to be great -- the issue is that its such a damn good BMS (although i wished it had Bluetooth)(Jason said they are looking at fixing that) that one simple 15 minute video is not going to barely cover it ...
I think I MAY have the bluetooth worked out I just need to figure out how to decode the Chargery's data then create an app that actually works. Jason gave me the sheet on how to decode but its all a learning experience for me.

I think I MAY have the bluetooth worked out I just need to figure out how to decode the Chargery's data then create an app that actually works. Jason gave me the sheet on how to decode but its all a learning experience for me.

That would be great ... honestly not having Bluetooth or some other means to remote the monitor - is the only major thing I wish it really had ...

Holy cow!! Are you around Las Vegas? I only need 20 feet of black and red for video. How do you have so much?
I had a online forum friend from a different forum tell me he could have made the cables I need, just pay the shipping. This was after I posted about making some cables for my rig. Once I figure out my layout for an inverter, he's gonna make me some 2/0 cables for it.

Back