diy solar

diy solar

Which all in one system has the fewest software issues?

This is one of the things I like about Hoymiles microinverters —
I have 4 of the HMS-2000-NA units.

Don’t have them in production because my configuration changed but I did hook up 4 panels to one just as an input into my Sol-ark gen port.

They definitely produce at lower light, shade and longer in the day.

The DTU is simple to setup and works on either 2.4 or Sub-1G.

If you just want simple production, no hassles, simple installation then these work.

Only draw back is if whatever is forming your grid goes out then so do they.
No battery tie in capability.

my hope would be if I bought a good quality product I wouldn’t run into future bugs.
Yes but the opportunity of constant improvement is compelling. In a high tech world new technology is also emerging and I want some of my devices to be able to utilize that technology withing reason if the hardware supports it.

If you want to completely avoid the common issues. I would recommend that you wait at least 50 years.
That is true….but By then , the big whigs will be timesharing the suns output per human unit.. or per sq yd or something….. and we will have to pay heavily…it’s what they always do..
They are the Ubermen..The overlords…

Plus the new software by then will be so complex ,only Lockheed or Boeing will be able to build it.
In my life one has always had to pay a premium to have the new stuff that’s out…and then fight with it …
..when they finally get it to work they bring out something newer so we can fight with that..and etc etc…

Plus , Does anyone really think that the largest source of perfect power ever in history will just be allowed to just sit up there churning out a zillion tons of power per day and supply “us turkeys “ for FREE…..????
One day where we are now will become known as the “good old days of solar“.
Where men were mostly free to do as we wished..

but hey, maybe I’m a pessimist.
J.

I still consider my old tp6048 in the reliable and hassle free department. I forget its even out there. Thats the best compliment I can think of.

I think the 6000xp is already on firmware revision 3 or 4
I hate sol-ark but I’d probably choose them based on the desire of all-in-one with fewest software issues

I think the 6000xp is already on firmware revision 3 or 4
I hate sol-ark but I’d probably choose them based on the desire of all-in-one with fewest software issues
Yeah, you know deye ( and thus sol-ark/sunsynk ) bring out various model firmwares about every month ?

Don't get me wrong, I actually think that is a good thing

Yeah, you know deye ( and thus sol-ark/sunsynk ) bring out various model firmwares about every month ?

Don't get me wrong, I actually think that is a good thing
Interesting. Foot in mouth I suppose. 😅
I just never hear about endless updates.
I appreciate progressional improvement for sure just don’t like constant firmwares released within 90 days of equipment release, it reads to me that said item may be premature

Interesting. Foot in mouth I suppose. 😅
I just never hear about endless updates.
I appreciate progressional improvement for sure just don’t like constant firmwares released within 90 days of equipment release, it reads to me that said item may be premature
It's called continues development

"If you just want it to work well day after day, and you want the firmware/software to get out of the way and just do its job, others here can suggest options. Victron for sure, but I'm guessing maybe Schneider as well. "

Thank you for putting it that way! Thats exactly what I want. I don't mind spending money to get a quality basic off grid ground mount system. Our average monthly use is only around 1000 KWH. I thought I had it all figured out with the equipment mentioned above and 3 Brightmount ground mount kits. Looks like I'll have to find a professional who designs and installs Victron or Schneider. Any suggestions for the Placerville California area?

Almost everyone I know in most occupations says software issues are in the top 5 of the biggest problems they deal with now. I don't remember it being that much of an issue until recently.

For a quality large off-grid system, consider Sunny Island with Sunny Boy set to "island" (offgrid).
2x or 4x SI for split-phase, 3x SI for 3-phase. Up to 12kW of Sunny Boy per Sunny Island.

MSRP and street prices are high, but you can get a box with 2x SI and ancillary equipment for about $4000 delivered (liquidation on eBay), and you can get SB used or old stock at a range of prices.

Right...
This is why 10 year old Tesla's still receive updates..
Or my wife's 2014 vw gets new software every service.

You're living an illusion my friend

I just commissioned a new in the box SMA Sunny Island 5048US, with 2008 firmware.
No reason to ever update that, unless I want closed-loop communication with BMS for lithium.

From SMA I have found one firmware bug, SB 10000TL-US-12 when set for "backup" didn't implement frequency-watts.
I've attempted firmware update once. Sunny TriPower 30000TL-US didn't talk to WebBox, and didn't display an option called "Rule-21".
After firmware update of TriPower, still didn't talk to WebBox (maybe the latter needs the upgrade), and still didn't show the label "Rule-21", but still had parameters which performed frequency-watts.

Documentation, including regarding configuration and which updates do what, seems to be the shortcoming. But firmware is pretty solid.

Cars - our 1997 Sable I took in for firmware update once, emissions recall. Still driving it.

Test equipment, I'm using HP and Tektronix equipment with GPIB dating back to the 1980's.

Furnace and A/C, 24VAC thermostat controls. The thermostat is now digital programmable.

Key to timelessness is self-contained function with no communication, simple analog interface, or standard digital protocol with documented command set.

My Growatt's have never received any updates. Heck, they have never been connected to the internet or even a computer.
I just took them out of the box and hung them on the wall. Hooked them up and turned them on.
They have always worked flawlessly. I see no reason for fixing something that isn't broken.

It's called continues development
And I prefer my electrical system to function like my pre 2020 vehicles.
They continue to operate in the same fashion they did when leaving the assembly line.
Now the new stuff has over the air failures and you can’t drive.
I know it’s not entirely the same, but that’s my rub with these new machines with constant updates.

Schneider XW pros aren’t needing 20 updates a year for example. Victron, Outback, etc etc etc.

Things like the new 6000xp generator boost is a cool “add on” but a hot fix that people then say “oh don’t do it, mine has bugs”

I’ve got zero desire to introduce that into my day to day life.

I’m unfortunately all too familiar with continuous improvement by way of Toyota manufacturing and six sigma black belt training.
Ironically both my last company and current company found that they were not yet in a place to implement those pathways

Continuous Integration / Continuous Development is now standard practice in many industries. Even Victron releases a new VenusOS for the Cerbo every few months, although it is debatable whether you call VenusOS firmware, IMHO.

Things to consider for firmware updates:

1. Is there a rollback capability built in?
2. Is the firmware signed cryptographically and can you verify it?

If #1 or #2 are not in place for a particular device, then they are not doing it properly. Without #1, you may brick your device if something goes wrong.

3. You may want to implement an N-1 rule, where you only update to the previous firmware release, never using the latest except for security patches and other critical issues.

Standard server vendors (Dell, etc al) do #1, #2.

Back