diy solar

diy solar

Which charger+inverter?

math says the Victron ip22 12/30 pulls about 3 amps AC when charging at 30A 12v DC
My 1012LV-MK has a 60A charger.
The monitoring meter on the ‘incoming’ 120VAC from champion generator is typically 7.6-7.8A or a bit over a quart of gasoline for one hour (60Ah) of charging

Hope that helps.

For anyone looking at using the most powerful charger they can using a generator that might not be sized to put out enough power, the Victron multiplus has a current limiter feature that will keep the generator from stalling.

Even though I haven't used it, on paper it sounds like exactly what I need. A generator will lose power when going up in elevation and in my case a Yamaha is2200 is the largest I want to carry around. At lower elevations it should be able to supply enough current for the 120amp charger, yet when I go up to 10k', the current draw can be lowered in the multiplus settings to keep the generator from stalling. See 2.2 Input AC Current Limit https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

To configure the current limiter, the MK3-USB is needed and a laptop. As an aside, when charging the inverter draws from the AC input so whatever juice is used for the inverter needs to be subtracted from the AC load to determine how much AC is actually used for charging.

Fyi, I've been using a Magnum 3000w hybrid inverter/ charger since April 2016 everyday and hasn't been turned off without issue.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/p...dc-pure-hybrid-inverter-charger-msh-rv-series

It can be set for the ac incoming. If using my EU2000I or eu2200i generator I'll set the incoming to 15a and it will charge the batteries at 100a. Even at elevation of 7,000'.

Depending on the loadsharing it can be adjusted from 5a-50a depending in incoming source. All adjustments are made from the me-arc (remote controller).

Fyi, I've been using a Magnum 3000w hybrid inverter/ charger since April 2016 everyday and hasn't been turned off without issue.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/p...dc-pure-hybrid-inverter-charger-msh-rv-series

It can be set for the ac incoming. If using my EU2000I or eu2200i generator I'll set the incoming to 15a and it will charge the batteries at 100a. Even at elevation of 7,000'.

Depending on the loadsharing it can be adjusted from 5a-50a depending in incoming source. All adjustments are made from the me-arc (remote controller).

Looks nice for lead acid batteries.

Using the me-arc it's programmable.

Favorites (can be changed to personal taste)
F1_ Bat amps - PT ADC (present be produced)
F2_ AC output - 121 VAC/ 60.0 HZ
F3_ AC input - Amps= 15a (adjustable with incoming power)
F4_ Load amps - 0 amps AC
F5_ AC Amps - -2 amps

CRTL
01_ AC in Control - Auto Connect
02_ CHG Control - Multi Stage
03_ Gen Control - Off
04_ PT Control
• a_ PT Chg CTRL 1 - Multi Stage
• b_ PT Aux Relay - Control= Disengage
• c_ PT Alarm - Control= Off
• d_ PT Mppt Ctrl - 15 min sweep

METER
Inverting_ DC (present time reading)

01 DC Meters
• a_ DC volts (present time reading)
• b_ DC amps (present time reading)
02 AC Meters
• a_ AC output (present time reading)
• b_ Load amps (present time reading)
• c_ Input AC (present time reading)
• d_ Inv/ Chg amps (present time reading)
• e_ Input AC1 (present time reading)

SET UP
01 System Set up
• a_ Set Clock
• b_ Screen set up (press select) _ Brightness (50%), Contrast (100%), Power save (1 min)
• c_ Temp select - Fahrenheit
• d_ Max charge- Amps 200 adc
• e _ Link PT Chg - setting - yes

02 Inverting/ Inverter set up
• a_ Search watts - Off
• b_ LBCO setting - 12.0 vdc
• c_ AC In time - 6:00am-6:00pm
• d_ AC In VDC - 11.O-14.1 vdc
• e_ AC In SOC - 80%-100% SOC
• f_ Power up - Always off

SET UP INVERTING
03 Charger Set up
• a_ AC Input - Amp= (can be set to available shore power/ generator incoming power)
• b_ VAC Drop out - 80 VAC
• c_ Battery type - Custom (with in here absorb voltage can be adjusted)
• d_ Absorb done - Time= 0.1 hrs (minimum, can't be turned off)
• e_ Max charge - Rate= 100%
• f_ Max charge - Time= 12.0 hrs
• g_ Final charge - Stage= Multi
• h_ EQ Reminder - Days= Off

04 AGS SET UP - No AGS Present
05 BMK SET UP - No BMK Present

06 PT SET UP (Magnum pt controller follows Magnum inverter settings)
• a_ Battery Type - Linked
• b_ Absorb Done - Linked
• c_ Maxed Charge - Rate= 100%
• d_ Max Charge - Time= 12.0 hrs
• e_ Bulk Start (press select)
- select Bulk Start, Daily / sun up= yes
- set Bulk Start, Volts= 12.0
- set Bulk Start, SOC= 80%
• f _ PT Aux Relay - 10.0 to 14.0
• g_ PT Alarm - 10.0 to 14.0
• h_ Power Save PT - Display= 15 min

TECH
01 Temperatures (press select_ scroll)
- Inv BTS (present time reading)
- Inv TFMER (present time reading)
- Inv FET'S (present time reading)
- AGS Sensor 0ff
- ACLD Temp 32f
- PT BTS (present time reading)
- PT Inductor (present time reading)

The following parameters are for programming the ME-ARC Version 4 advanced control.

Setup 02B LBCO Setting: Volts = 12.0v
Setup 03C Battery Type: = Custom
Set Absorb Volts: = 14.1v
Set Float Volts: = 13.6v
Set EQ Volts: = 14.1v
Set EQ Done Time: = 0.1
Setup 03D Absorb Done Time: = 0.1 (minimum)
Setup 03E Max Charge Rate: = 100%
Setup 03G Final Charge Stage: = Float

I ordered the Progressive Dynamics 60 AMP charger to cut costs vs the Victron Multiplus and to do separate components.

With the 60 amp converter charging the the pack off the generator, it pulls about 12 AMPS (plus computer gear). Its running at 4k feet now so when running at 10'k feet the generator should put out enough power.

Its temporarily connected with solid copper nomex cables that you'd find in a house for AC. I'm trying to figure out cable lengths and if it would make sense to pay for an Anderson connection setup so that I can charge both the LIFEPO4 pack or my SUV battery.
gA8cOih.jpg

BLmSFhV.jpg

RDMjtOE.jpg

I ordered the Progressive Dynamics 60 AMP charger to cut costs vs the Victron Multiplus and to do separate components.

With the 60 amp converter charging the the pack off the generator, it pulls about 12 AMPS (plus computer gear). Its running at 4k feet now so when running at 10'k feet the generator should put out enough power.

Its temporarily connected with solid copper nomex cables that you'd find in a house for AC. I'm trying to figure out cable lengths and if it would make sense to pay for an Anderson connection setup so that I can charge both the LIFEPO4 pack or my SUV battery.
gA8cOih.jpg

BLmSFhV.jpg

RDMjtOE.jpg
What SUV would you be charging?

Is the ‘computer gear’ why its using 12A120VAC? Because that seems high for charging 12V at 60A.
The gear probably uses 2A. I'll need to test it out. How much should it use? I really wanted their 80A charger, but it requires a 20A circuit. All I have is 15A and at 10k' more like 12A.

The gear probably uses 2A. I'll need to test it out. How much should it use? I really wanted their 80A charger, but it requires a 20A circuit. All I have is 15A and at 10k' more like 12A.
Well my 1012LV-MK does about 8A at 120VAC using its 60A charger.image.jpg

Last edited:
Is the ‘computer gear’ why its using 12A120VAC? Because that seems high for charging 12V at 60A.
I measured just the draw of the 60A charger and it started pulling 9A, then after a minute or less it leveled off to 7.5A.

The cooling fan stays on for an impressive time after power is pulled from it and I'm wondering if that extra draw surge is to refill the capacitors.

cUepPAo.jpg

Back