diy solar

diy solar

Which mppt

Floriane

Hello folks, I hope you are good !
I am refurbishing a campervan to leave off grid build a farm in the uk and have few questions that needs enlightenment.
I bought two of these Solar panel rec 260 pe

I have a ac/dc 1500w(that I can still return, it might not be enough) and plan to buy a 200ah battery . My system would be in 12 v and I struggle to find out which mppt buy with this configuration. Anybody can help? Tks a lot. Xx

The 40a renogy rover im currently using seems like it would be sufficient for your setup, hopefully some more experienced members can give more insight though :)

I have a ac/dc 1500w(that I can still return, it might not be enough) and plan to buy a 200ah battery . My system would be in 12 v and I struggle to find out which mppt buy with this configuration. Anybody can help? Tks a lot. Xx
You mean an inverter? If you've got a 1500w now you're getting pretty close to the top end of what 12v is safe for (1500w / 12v = 125a). Rule of thumb is "Keep it under 200a" because around 300a your fuse becomes a flamethrower. You should think about a higher voltage setup if you're looking at needing 2500+ watts.

You're going to need a 50a MPPT controller at least to utilize all that panel on a 12v system. Going larger now might be worth the cost to allow more panels later since the price difference between 50a and 60a is not much. The Victron fanboys will tell you that it's Victron or nothing, but unless you really need the BT and WiFi and online monitoring and dog washing and car waxing functions, there are plenty of options out there that will turn solar panel DC into battery DC. EPEver is pretty well regarded as is Renology, PowMr will do the job decently enough, or you can spend the extra for Victron or MidNite quality if you want.

Your panels are almost 40v each on their VoC so if you plan on adding in more panels, most of those will only allow a 2s string.

Here's a hint though: If it's got USB ports on the front/side, it's not really a MPPT controller, it's a dirty, dirty LIAR!

I bought two of these Solar panel rec 260 pe
My system would be in 12 v and I struggle to find out which mppt buy with this configuration.
2 260W panels on a 12V system means up to 2 x 260W / 12V = 43A of charge current possible. Since these will be flat mounted on the roof of a van you will rarely, if ever, get 100% out of the panels. So a 40A MPPT charge controller will be just fine unless you think you might add more panels to the roof in the future.

If you don't have any shading issues on the roof of the van you can put the two panels in series. Given the Voc of 37.8V of each, this will be 75.6V. In colder temperatures this could get to over 90V. So be sure the MPPT SCC that you get can support 100V of max PV input voltage.

If you do have shading issues on the roof then you can put the two panels in parallel. Now you only need half of the mx PV input voltage, or 50V. Though most 40A controllers will support 100V. That's fine.

Thank you so much everyone!! I found my solution!
I am going to buy two mppt 30a to isolate the two panel! All the best to all of you. ?

Thank you so much everyone!! I found my solution!
I am going to buy two mppt 30a to isolate the two panel! All the best to all of you. ?
Just out of curiosity, which MPPTs?
And why 2 different MPPTs?

I think if you want redundancy for reliability you should start with a top quality unit. No real need to run 2 (or is there more we do not know)?

Back