diy solar

diy solar

Why are these fans so Freaking Noisy?

John.DS99

What in the #$%%* is up with power related hardware that it has to be so LOUD! WHETHER IT IS A CHEAP POWERSTATION OR AN EG 6500EV all in one system, these damn things are so loud I can't hear myself think.

Just a rhetorical question.

I mean, 30 years ago, I was putting together computer systems that had fans that were so quiet you would never know...

Now here we are in 2000 and something, and these things sound like the alpha version of the first ventilated Victrola.

For those of you viewing on an iPhone, the word Victrola isn't a spelling error. Go to an antique store and purchase a dictionary.

It's a combination of physics and cost savings. Much like in wind turbines the larger the blades the slower the fan has to spin to move $n CFM of air. Well, when you're trying to pack a bunch of stuff into a small space you have to use a physically small fan. Physically smaller blades means higher RPM's to move the amount of air the components need to stay cool. Same with inverters and AIO's. If you had a 6ft wide inverter there would be plenty of space to mount a big slow fan, but who wants a 6ft inverter when this 6in version does all the same thing?

Add in that when your fan is kind of an afterthought it's just not worth it to buy high end perfectly balanced Noctua fans when you can get bulk cheap-but-works for a few cents a piece.

It's not an uncommon project to replace the fans in AIO's and such with higher end fans that run quieter.

Put the Chinesium in a shed where it belongs. I wouldn’t even want tier one equipment in my house or important buildings. Look up “critical asset lists” and apply it to your life. IMHO.

I found on some devices that most of the fan noise was from the grill/mesh over the fan. Blade passing frequency generates the noise. Removing this made a massive improvement. May not be your solution.

I found on some devices that most of the fan noise was from the grill/mesh over the fan. Blade passing frequency generates the noise. Removing this made a massive improvement. May not be your solution.
I found the same with my Growatt SPF 3500ES - the fans in this AIO are high performance models, however most of their energy is spent just holding high static pressure inside the chassis, trying to squeeze a bit of air through the tiny set of exhaust holes at the top. This higher static pressure increases turbulence around the fan blades, and therefore noise.
I've since replaced them with nearly silent fans, the unit is now whisper quiet with only a minor increase to internal temperatures. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Reactions: JRH
I mean, 30 years ago, I was putting together computer systems that had fans that were so quiet you would never know...

Now here we are in 2000 and something, and these things sound like the alpha version of the first ventilated Victrola.

For those of you viewing on an iPhone, the word Victrola isn't a spelling error. Go to an antique store and purchase a dictionary.
Ya mean the megaphone looking speaker device , with the white bulldog sitting on the floor next to the record player console?? … yea they’re cool….I messed with one once as a boy….

Here’s how I solve solve the 1st world problem of noisy fans…( and I agree the can be noisy)

turn your stereo up louder…
drink more while around them…
By increasing both of the above items as needed , at some point the fan won’t be audible…

I really don't get it. MY pc ramps up the fan as it gets hotter. My Sol-Ark 15 comes on full speed then slows a little. Don't get it.

I really don't get it. MY pc ramps up the fan as it gets hotter. My Sol-Ark 15 comes on full speed then slows a little. Don't get it.
It’s checking for temp after it starts and then adjusts appropriately as needed.……

Back