diy solar

diy solar

Why does 18kPV import power despite ample solar and battery?

cowduck

Here is the picture. Zero cloud cover day, battery is one powerpro 100% charged.

Why is power being imported still? Usually it’s 0.1kWh, but lately it’s been 0.3kWh.

18kPV is on the latest firmware and so is the powerpro battery.IMG_6640.jpegIMG_6641.jpeg

Don't worry about that small of a number.
This I think has to do with fluctuations. Every time a dip/fluctuation occurs, some energy flows in from the grid before the Inverter has time to respond and adjust.

Also have a look at your graph to see when it’s drawing power from the grid. Maybe your battery doesn’t make it all the way through the night or a high wattage device needs to draw a little juice at some point during the 24hr period. But yeah it’s such a little that I wouldn’t worry about it unless you are planning on switching to completely offgrid. I have a similar setup and pull in a few kw everyday as well because of this.

I thought in other thread(s) this was to help prevent any selling back of power to the grid. Originally when it was set too low there was still potential for power to be sold back to grid even when you weren't allowed too. Upping the amount of power being imported "fixed" the issue. This sounds like a hardware design issue since the new Midnite AIO claims that this will never occur.

I got this installed in December of 2023. That month 0.1 kWh was used always.
In February it became 0.2kWh.
Now in April it is 0.3kWh.

Sounds like a design issue and is getting slowly worse over time. Can it not be fixed with fw update?

I wouldn't mull over some decimals of KWh a day in exchange of the convenience and peace of mind it brings.

Back