diy solar

diy solar

Need help with EG4 18kpv - Not discharging batteries

lucl

Hey guys,

I have the EG4 18kpv inverter with latest firmware (LCD version 11) and 6x LifePower 4 batteries in a rack hooked up to the inverter. Also running the latest firmware.

I have a grid-tie setup with the backfeed breaker approach. In other words, the inverter will supply power to the main panel from either solar or batteries.

During the day the system will charge the batteries from solar, and use a combination of Solar / Battery to feed the loads in my house, with the grid providing whatever is needed on top of that. Everything works perfectly during the day and the batteries always get topped off.

At night, I have it setup to "Forced Discharge" starting at 19:00 (7 PM) so that it uses my batteries to power the loads (with a stop time at 23:59 and another one after that). My time is properly synched. The batteries are always fully charged. But it never uses batteries. As soon as there is no solar available from the panels it just uses all grid power for the loads (so the inverter is not doing anything since it's just showing me the grid/panel box interaction based on CTs).

When I click on "Debug" and select "Why are batteries not discharging" I get "Waiting to qualify Grid Voltage, FQ, ISO etc" as a hint. See screenshot. The odd thing is that once in a while it does tap the batteries for a few minutes and then randomly goes back to using the grid. Btw, I took that screenshot before upgrading firmware but the message is the same after it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2792.JPG
    IMG_2792.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have the EG4 18kpv inverter with latest firmware (LCD version 11) and 6x LifePower 4 batteries in a rack hooked up to the inverter. Also running the latest firmware.

I have a grid-tie setup with the backfeed breaker approach. In other words, the inverter will supply power to the main panel from either solar or batteries.

During the day the system will charge the batteries from solar, and use a combination of Solar / Battery to feed the loads in my house, with the grid providing whatever is needed on top of that. Everything works perfectly during the day and the batteries always get topped off.

At night, I have it setup to "Forced Discharge" starting at 19:00 (7 PM) so that it uses my batteries to power the loads (with a stop time at 23:59 and another one after that). My time is properly synched. The batteries are always fully charged. But it never uses batteries. As soon as there is no solar available from the panels it just uses all grid power for the loads (so the inverter is not doing anything since it's just showing me the grid/panel box interaction based on CTs).

When I click on "Debug" and select "Why are batteries not discharging" I get "Waiting to qualify Grid Voltage, FQ, ISO etc" as a hint. See screenshot. The odd thing is that once in a while it does tap the batteries for a few minutes and then randomly goes back to using the grid. Btw, I took that screenshot before upgrading firmware but the message is the same after it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
I can help you out are you connected to the internet with the WiFi dongle. If not I will try to assist you here

I don't have wifi on it right now so please assist here if possible. Thanks!

Turn force discharge off. Turn all first charge settings off. Set inverter to charge according to soc/volt. And you are all good to go

thanks. but unfortunately it did not work. it still says "Waiting to qualify Grid Voltage, FQ, ISO etc" and it will occasionally use the batteries for an hour or two and then switch to not using them the rest of the night.

Just a quick update to this thread. Markus_EG4 and EG4_Ty (both EG4 techs) were able to get this resolved for me. They connected remotely to the inverter via the wifi dongle, and with my permission changed settings they thought needed to be changed to fix the "waiting to qualify grid voltage" error. There was a setting related to grid voltage that I would have never thought to mess with that I think fixed it, along with a few other settings.

Thanks guys! It's been a few days and it's working exactly as expected.

Just a quick update to this thread. Markus_EG4 and EG4_Ty (both EG4 techs) were able to get this resolved for me. They connected remotely to the inverter via the wifi dongle, and with my permission changed settings they thought needed to be changed to fix the "waiting to qualify grid voltage" error. There was a setting related to grid voltage that I would have never thought to mess with that I think fixed it, along with a few other settings.

Thanks guys! It's been a few days and it's working exactly as expected.
@Markus_EG4 For other people on the forum following the thread (or finding it later) can you mention what you changed to resolve this?

Hey guys,

Any ideas?

Thanks!
My batteries will not power the loads. I saw my batteries get charged to 100% SOC and now my loads are all powered from grid. Could you remote into my inverter and correct the issue?

Yes I can PM me your station name
I seem to be having similar problems to the above description. Batteries just keep charging (although showing at 100% SOC and 55v) and will not discharge. 18kPV inverter continues to send GRID power to both load and batteries (even though more than sufficient PV available for both). I tried setting both SOC and VOLT limits but neither stops the charging. I tried a forced discharge and it doesn't work either. It would make sense for you to remote into my inverter and try to correct my issues. Finally had to just switch off the GRID. Running on EPS. I've PM'd my station name to you.

I seem to be having similar problems to the above description. Batteries just keep charging (although showing at 100% SOC and 55v) and will not discharge. 18kPV inverter continues to send GRID power to both load and batteries (even though more than sufficient PV available for both). I tried setting both SOC and VOLT limits but neither stops the charging. I tried a forced discharge and it doesn't work either. It would make sense for you to remote into my inverter and try to correct my issues. Finally had to just switch off the GRID. Running on EPS. I've PM'd my station name to you.
Are your CTs installed?

Can you share the charge settings?

I am having the same issue. It will only discharge if i force discharge or charge if I set a time 00:00 - 23:59 for AC charge. Why are you the only one to see that setting? Why we don't have admin access to our own devices?
Are your CTs installed?

Back