diy solar

diy solar

Need help with EG4 18kpv - Not discharging batteries

I'd like to tack onto the end of this thread, as I'm seeing a similar problem. I've been trying to work with an EG4 tech, but we're not having a ton of success.
Issue: I'm running 6 LP4 batteries, and I'm having to keep 'forced discharge' set overnight. My goal is to run off of solar when there's sufficient sunlight (I've got 42 panels, so I'm making plenty of energy), and to run off of batteries when it's cloudy, or overnight. During the day, excess from home use should go to battery charging, and the only time I should be pulling in from the grid is if the batteries don't have capacity AND solar isn't functional. This seems like it would be a straightforward usecase, but I was in a situation similar to OP, where my batteries would remain topped up, like the system was treating them as a last resort reserve. Using 'Forced Discharge' doesn't seem like the solution to me, as I should have enough capacity in them to last a couple of days, and I'm just dumping them overnight.
The eg4 tech worked with my installers to get the latest updates on my batteries, and is saying that I need to have a particular comms cable from batteries to inverter (that should be coming my way soon). I'm hoping that's all it is. But, if there's someone willing to review my situation, it would be appreciated

I'd like to tack onto the end of this thread, as I'm seeing a similar problem. I've been trying to work with an EG4 tech, but we're not having a ton of success.
Issue: I'm running 6 LP4 batteries, and I'm having to keep 'forced discharge' set overnight. My goal is to run off of solar when there's sufficient sunlight (I've got 42 panels, so I'm making plenty of energy), and to run off of batteries when it's cloudy, or overnight. During the day, excess from home use should go to battery charging, and the only time I should be pulling in from the grid is if the batteries don't have capacity AND solar isn't functional. This seems like it would be a straightforward usecase, but I was in a situation similar to OP, where my batteries would remain topped up, like the system was treating them as a last resort reserve. Using 'Forced Discharge' doesn't seem like the solution to me, as I should have enough capacity in them to last a couple of days, and I'm just dumping them overnight.
The eg4 tech worked with my installers to get the latest updates on my batteries, and is saying that I need to have a particular comms cable from batteries to inverter (that should be coming my way soon). I'm hoping that's all it is. But, if there's someone willing to review my situation, it would be appreciated
Please don't hesitate to send me a DM with your station name and serial number for the inverter, and I'll take a look at it for you.

Where are your CTs installed?

Please take a photo of the 18Kpv home screen.

Next, if you are comfortable...open the 18Kpv front cover and take a photo of the circuit board (top left) and the area around where the wires connect.

Please take a photo of the 18Kpv home screen.

Next, if you are comfortable...open the 18Kpv front cover and take a photo of the circuit board (top left) and the area around where the wires connect.
Note that the comms cable isn't currently hooked up. I'm waiting for the replacement, as mentioned.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpeg
    IMG_0479.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0478.jpeg
    IMG_0478.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 7
I'd thought I had. Let's try this again.
Have you done a system restart?
What version firmware?

I'm reaching here but It's possible that your unit may be stuck in AC charge mode (yes I see that setting is disabled) seeing that you had it set to 56v stop. Can you enable AC charge and set voltage stop to 52v

I had a similar experience when I first commissioned my 18Kpv. I'm not sure what I did to fix it. I made multiple changes.

@Markus_EG4 can you look at the AC couple settings.

Edit to say I'm not familiar with the nuances of AC couple settings.

Last edited:
Have you done a system restart?
What version firmware?

I'm reaching here but It's possible that your unit may be stuck in AC charge mode (yes I see that setting is disabled) seeing that you had it set to 56v stop. Can you enable AC charge and set voltage stop to 52v

I had a similar experience when I first commissioned my 18Kpv. I'm not sure what I did to fix it. I made multiple changes.

@Markus_EG4 can you look at the AC couple settings.

Edit to say I'm not familiar with the nuances of AC couple settings.
Model: 0009ADC0
Firmware: fA1.0
Build: fAAB-1717
To clarify, you're thinking toggle AC Charge on, and set to 52, disable force discharge, and see if the reason it was never discharging on it's own is because the AC charge stop voltage was at 56?

Back