diy solar

diy solar

Why don't electric cars come with PV tops ?

I can't speak for the EV manufacturers out there but if I built my own EV you can be sure that it would have a bit of solar on the roof, if even just to offset the parasitic load of the electronics.

Ok I get it your not going to charge it in a few hours but I thought the things were supposed to be all green and stuff.

How much power does it take to charge a electric car? On average, an electric vehicle uses around 30 kWh to travel 100 miles.

It would really add up if it was built into all the roofs.

View attachment 110939
some do, check the lightyear

some do, check the lightyear

1662823102134.png
""Forget Tesla, Nikola and the others - in my view, the Netherland’s-based Lightyear could be the most game-changing car company on the planet. Why? Their first car concept, Lightyear One, is a hyper-efficient car with solar cells integrated into the bonnet and roof of the car - which means no need for an entire grid infrastructure to power electric vehicles. www.forbes.com/sites/afdhelaziz/2020/11/19/why-lightyear-is-the-most-game-changing-car-company-on-the-planet/

It’s built like no other electric car, charging on-the-go and gaining up to 70 kilometres of range per day from the sun alone.

See how I can never think of anything first?

Let me try again.

I am thinking a solar RV would work better. The ratio of surface area on a motor home to collect solar vs wind resistance has to be better then a car.

I am thinking a solar RV would work better. The ratio of surface area on a motor home to collect solar vs wind resistance has to be better then a car.

A serial RV hybrid would be awesome. It's too bad RV's seem to be stuck 20-30 years behind the curve.

This one does:

I have one on order. ETA between 2023 and 2024.

If you order the full compliment of solar cells, it's expected (grain of salt...) to add 40 miles a day. Since most people drive less that 30 miles a day, in theory, you never have to plug in to recharge.

There is a rumor, and many who have one on order have asked for it, that external panels can be directly plugged in. I'm hoping and anticipating that, because I will be garaging my Aptera. Garage roof mounted solar panels will supply the charge, whether directly or thru a battery/inverter.

I was going to post this same video. If they're able to deliver this vehicle in their target price range, it will be a game changer.
I have one on order. ETA between 2023 and 2024.

If you order the full compliment of solar cells, it's expected (grain of salt...) to add 40 miles a day. Since most people drive less that 30 miles a day, in theory, you never have to plug in to recharge.

There is a rumor, and many who have one on order have asked for it, that external panels can be directly plugged in. I'm hoping and anticipating that, because I will be garaging my Aptera. Garage roof mounted solar panels will supply the charge, whether directly or thru a battery/inverter.

If they can deliver them for what they are claiming I will be ordering one. My kids are both nearly moved out so 2 seats is just fine 99% of the time. Im in Canada so it is really only usable for about 6, maybe 7 months each year but worth it IMO. Fingers crossed.

If they can deliver them for what they are claiming I will be ordering one. My kids are both nearly moved out so 2 seats is just fine 99% of the time. Im in Canada so it is really only usable for about 6, maybe 7 months each year but worth it IMO. Fingers crossed.
I suggest you reserve one now if you have any desire, even if you cancel later. $100 refundable deposit to get your place in line. I made my deposit back in June, and I'm number 25580 on the wait list. The low price they show is a basic no-frills model. Mine with a 40kWh battery pac, custom paint colors, 3 wheel drive and self-driving option clocks in around $36k.

Click the green "Reserve Now" button on the top right.

I’m going to look into one of these if they come to the US. Where I live I need 4wd.

Last edited:
Back