diy solar

diy solar

Why is grounding so HArrrd!!!

So I should run a bare copper wire from the panels to the grid supplied ground or to the inverter? my mppt does not have a ground connection.
Personally, if you are using 10gauge solar cable, I would just run another 10gauge insulated cable and connect it up to the ground of your home system somewhere convenient.. ideally near where the solar charge controller and inverter is located so you can have similar cable lengths / resistances. Doesn't really matter if it "meets code" or not, because your system doesn't meet code anyway.

So I should run a bare copper wire from the panels to the grid supplied ground or to the inverter? my mppt does not have a ground connection.
I would install a ground bar close to the inverter and charge controller. Connect this bar to the existing grounding system. And connect everything else to the bar.

Its like crack to me! my system has been up and running for 7 days and I am about to start my third makeover. First it was 20a mppt then it was 30, 100w x2 panels now its 300wx2. Next its more battery so I can actually utilize my inverters full potential. I love this entire website and have read it from top to bottom several times. My next home will be off grid!
Be careful if you have an addictive personality… you may end up living in a van down by the river and can only see your kids 2 weekends a month…..

Personally, if you are using 10gauge solar cable, I would just run another 10gauge insulated cable and connect it up to the ground of your home system somewhere convenient.. ideally near where the solar charge controller and inverter is located so you can have similar cable lengths / resistances. Doesn't really matter if it "meets code" or not, because your system doesn't meet code anyway.
I suppose it does not. its basically an RV setup chilling in my garage. I built it to introduce myself to the solar lifestyle. I was only about 80% sure it would work :p I sold my gas backup generator, so I'm balls deep now.

I would install a ground bar close to the inverter and charge controller. Connect this bar to the existing grounding system. And connect everything else to the bar.
Thats probably the best idea instead of having a bunch of misplaced potential problems.

I suppose it does not. its basically an RV setup chilling in my garage. I built it to introduce myself to the solar lifestyle. I was only about 80% sure it would work :p I sold my gas backup generator, so I'm balls deep now.
Ahhh , the river and van await ……

If you still have gas vehicles, it's easy to couple them up to your solar system batteries either with dc to dc chargers or an inverter and then an ac charger. So you still have some gas generators most likely.

If you still have gas vehicles, it's easy to couple them up to your solar system batteries either with dc to dc chargers or an inverter and then an ac charger. So you still have some gas generators most likely.

Are you guys even allowed gas genos over there now ?

great! now I need a dc-dc charger, thanks for helping me go broke ?

If it's not getting inspected, it doesn't have to meet code. But it's still important to follow standard practices. And never cut corners on safety.
Sure, in relation to the suicide cord. Is a 10awg insulated solar ground wire fine if using 10awg insulated solar cables? You don't need to run bare 6awg do you, for safety?

great! now I need a dc-dc charger, thanks for helping me go broke ?
Personally I think the inverter/ac charger is the better way to go.. longer wire runs.. gives you a separate AC system in the car for backup as well. Just make sure the AC charger and inverter you select for the car combo, don't exceed what the poor car can do. Smaller is better than bigger sometimes.

I'm no expert on grounding so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt. So my understanding of how you should ground your panels would absolutely be to your homes main panel.
Now the reason for that is if you were were to install a second grounding point such as a ground rod at or near your panels and ground them to it. Then if you were to have a nearby lightning strike there would be the potential for a large amount of electrical energy that could travel up that ground rod and spread through your houses electrical system via your solar panel wires. It would likely cause a lot of carnage.
Now the same thing could happen if it's grounded to you main, but it would likely take a direct strike to your array rather than just a nearby strike.

Why is grounding so HArrrd!!!​

Because we use the same word for 3 different meanings which causes a LOT of confusion. Add to that the fact that so many things out there want to do N-G bonds for you but only in certain situations it's like you're expected to tear into your main house panel every time you go back and forth between systems.

Then there's the argument about where panel wires should go. All the way back to your copper-in-the-dirt connection? To you main panel's screw-strip? To a stick in the dirt at the panels? Where does the lightning-protector wire go? When is it OK to use local dirt over the water pipe under the house? 100ft? 1000ft?

Everyone has a different answer because we're using the same word for multiple meanings and never sure which meaning you mean!

I feel your frustration dude, I feel ya.

diy solar

diy solar
Back