diy solar

diy solar

Why not CIGS?

What a piece of garbage. Cigs are supposed to be much stronger than other flex panels. I'm removing them from my site and the link on the video. This pisses me off.

Mine is in Vegas sun and no delamination yet. Not sure why mine are holding up so well. Very strange.

check it out. rich solar 80W.
1645218620411.jpeg
1645218657247.jpeg
1645218671362.jpeg
What a piece of garbage. Cigs are supposed to be much stronger than other flex panels. I'm removing them from my site and the link on the video. This pisses me off.
this is after not even a full year outside. admittedly they are not attached to a surface with the adhesive backing, but that's not what failed.
Mine is in Vegas sun and no delamination yet. Not sure why mine are holding up so well. Very strange.
of four 80 W panels, the ones exposed to water the most have the worst delamination.

water seems to wick into the sides and then evaporates and delamination occurs.

in vegas sun, i conjecture that the panels might dry off faster and be dry for more time, which might imply less water intrusion delamination effect.

sealing the edges and wiping flush seems like an obvious way i could mitigate this.. disappointed given the claims and the price.

unfortunately it has already progressed far enough on two that i might prophylactically decommission it. second and third photo.

1645218820582.png

1645219040110.png
1645219144142.png

source :

it is not ambiguous to me what claim was made about the nature of resistance to water exposure.

?

Thanks for the info.

mine only receive a few hours of direct sun a day, and are exposed to some amount of water almost every day. the water often does not fully evaporate by the end of day.

Very sad that CIGS get a bad rap through flexible panels. But I had flexible panels, and they all failed within 2-4 years.
for sure. the packaging failed, but that's not specific to CIGS of course.
The rigid glass CIGS I got are 12 years old and work perfectly.
good to know! in the future, Rigid CIGS is what I'll try. Lately all the CIGS panels I've found are flex type.
Pros:
  1. Durable
while not specific to CIGS, the packaging on flexible rich solar 80W CIGS panels is poor.

I still fully believe in CIGS as a technology, even with slightly less power density per area.

anyone got recent recomendation for Rigid CIGS panel?

There is another thread on this site about the delamination and also burn spots.

1645232152731.jpeg

wow!

my gut told me to execute a protective preemptive decommissioning of my deployed 80W CIGS rich solar panels.

this thread cemented it!!!

so glad that these were installed for everyday inspection. it's so early in the failure mode.

the other thread mentions that rich solar might have become aware of the manufacturing issue around October 2021

Update: Latest response from Rich Solar says they originally didn’t understand the severity of the problem and they are now contacting the manufacturer.

for reference, the rich solar 80W CIGS flex panels in the photos i shared were delivered around May 2021.

it's so early in the failure mode that shipping them back is undesirable for me. much less than 1% of the area has been compromised from a casual visual inspection. have gasket maker around and would happily apply it and skip the shipping. anyways. yeah, it is a letdown given the MSRP.

i'll try to update with outcome of communication.

good to know! in the future, Rigid CIGS is what I'll try.
like I said early in this thread, great low light performance. Work actually best when you got a lot of scattered light, with clouds.

Rigid CIGS panel?
The panels I got are from Würth Solar, in Germany. But they got bought out a while ago.

You can still get the panels second hand, but probably not worth shipping depending where you are on the globe.

I just looked at the racking system just remembered- it's a really cool design - the panels are sitting inside the rail they get pushed in from the side. They are not screwed down. Only laying in the the rack channels and both ends are getting closed.

I just googled around and found those:
No idea if they are any good.

a week ago, rich solar published this video instructing users of their weatherproof CIGS flex panels to affix "outdoor weatherproof tape" to "create a proper seal"

I saw that, and I didn't seal it properly at all. Mine looks fine. Lots of heat out here, but no moisture. Maybe moisture is the culprit?

i never sealed any of mine due to the weatherproof claim. i mistakenly assumed their adhesive would stand up to regular moisture.

having operated four of the 80W panels, two were sprayed lightly on by sprinklers regularly, experienced severe failure of seal, actually exposing the PV material to outside world. those two are decommissioned for safety right now.

the two that did not get sprayed on by sprinklers have experienced practically no failure of the edge seal.

as far as i am concerned, the failure mode is directly related to how long the panel is exposed to water/moisture.

it is not weatherproof if being lightly rained on once a day causes the panel to become unsafe and failing within a year.

now operating two of the 160W CIGS in place of the four 80W. they work great. i know if they are exposed to weather that involves water, the edges MUST be retrofitted with supplementary sealant if lasting more than a year is the goal.

cheers

I saw that, and I didn't seal it properly at all. Mine looks fine. Lots of heat out here, but no moisture. Maybe moisture is the culprit?
Florida here, lot's of rain and humid. Panels didn't last 3 years.

My glass Cgis panels in Germany are getting rained on every other week. A decade later no problem.

The flexibility nature and two different materials makes a seal really hard. So I can see why they fail. Sure when you are in the dessert that process is slower. That's why people store aircraft and old cars in that climate. Water deteriorates everything faster.

Back