diy solar

diy solar

Will Solar charge controller work.

Willowflowage

I bought 2 of these used 330watt panels.will this charge controller work ok with my 12 volt lifepo4 battery.
It's a 20 amp 12/24 volt. I'm afraid the amps could exceed the 20 amps in full sun. I bought the controller for 2 -100 watt panels wired in parallel. I will now use the 2 -330 watt panels instead. If wired in series would it then be 24 volts and ok on a 20 amp controller?
Link to controller....
HQST MPPT Solar Charge Controller 20 Amp Negative Grounded Controller with Bluetooth LCD Display, 12V/24V DC Input Solar Panel Regulator for Gel Sealed Flooded and Lithium Battery https://a.co/d/hScpHWB

Attachments

• image000000_polarr_1_polarr.jpg
    image000000_polarr_1_polarr.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 6
A 20 amp SCC will only output 20 amps. At 12vDC that is ~240w panel utilization. So for 2-330w (315w in image) panels you leave on the table 660w-240w=420w of potential. Wired in series or parallel makes no difference on the wattage. It does change the voltage and amps. Panels in series the volts add, current stays the same. Panels in parallel the volts stay the same and the amperage adds. Your SCC has ratings for max Voc that must be observed. It may also have a max amperage of incoming PV allowed. Find those specifications.

The panels Voc from your image is 45.6vDC. Series connected =91.2vDC

Ideally for 630w of PV going to a 12vDC battery setup you could charge up to 52.5a. Which may be too much for some batteries rated max charge.

You would be way over panelling that SCC with those (2) panels. The listing doesn't specify the max voltage input. So I'm not sure if you could wire them in series or not. But, even in parallel they "should" stay under the max 20A. However, as Matt said, you'd be leaving a lot of power on the table

I think you'd want the 40A version of that SCC for a few bucks more:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J16G1LV?ref=emc_p_m_5_i_atc

A good rule of thumb for 12v systems is 10a of SCC per 100w of panel. With 660w of power you'll want at least a 60a SCC to utilize it all.

A good rule of thumb for 12v systems is 10a of SCC per 100w of panel. With 660w of power you'll want at least a 60a SCC to utilize it all.
That's what I ordered, it'll be in partial shade so I hope its enough for this setup. Finally batteries and panels are getting more affordable but the other stuff they keep on gouging. Invertors and controllers are crazy high preventing many from affording a decent safe system.

Back