diy solar

diy solar

Will these panels work in series with my all in one?

monstaamilli

Screenshot_20200718-103202.png
I have three of these panels I plan to tie in series and my All in one calls for VoC greater than 17vdc and less than 145 vdc. ( also has the PV array MPPT Voltage range @ 30-115Vdc)

The panels are to be set outside so i can add more, should I?

Also, the guide for my All-in-one says that prior to connecting PV to install a DC circuit breaker between the inverter and PV modules, is this necessary? Please give recommendations if so!

3 of these in series = ~64Voc which per your description should work fine with your all in one inverter. You could add more modules in series or additional parallel strings if you wanted to increase the kwhrs/day produced. A circuit breaker between the array and all in one is good practice, any DC breaker rated for your system voltage/current should work.

@apctjb Does a solar combiner box usually have a breaker built into it?
I'm a bit foggy on what needs to be happening between the All-In-One System and PV.
WIll doesn't seem to cover this in his All-In-One guide: I have 8 Awg solar connecters from my panels and they have solar connecters on them. Do i just cut those off and input them into the DC breaker? But then what wire do i use to go from the breaker to the all-in-one??

Yes most combiner boxes will have a breaker or other means of disconnect and if it does then you are covered (unless code requires a breaker next to the inverter). Wire size from the breaker to the all in one depends on current and distance. That said if you have a single string of 3 modules in series and the distance is not too far (>25ft) then #8awg wire to the all in one should be fine.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 1.11.28 PM.png
@apctjb This is from Will's guide. What is the solar panel connection he has there? ( I do not have it)
So i should connect a breaker right near the All-in-one and run the 40' cables (below) to the panels in series?

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 1.17.04 PM.png

@MisterSandals As for the connection between the all in one and the breaker, i should just buy a couple feet of 12AWG wire?
And for the circuit breaker, what am i looking for here? Since the 3 (or 4) panels that I will be using are in series I just need to look at the short circuit current of 6.24A?
Can you plz link me to a decent circuit breaker for the system?

As for the connection between the all in one and the breaker, i should just buy a couple feet of 12AWG wire?

Using 25' i am seeing 16awg for 3% loss, 14awg for 2% loss, 12awg for 1% loss. You can future proof a little in case you expand using 12awg which is pretty inexpensive in the lengths you seem to be talking about.

Can you plz link me to a decent circuit breaker for the system?
my google-fu is failing me at the moment. The respected names often bandied about here are Bussmann and Blue Sea Systems. 10amp in the 100v range would work nicely. Higher voltage if you expect to add more panels in your series later.
I found a Bussmann 10amp model but it was 32v which i could not bring myself to recommend.

Anybody have their google-fu going at the moment?

my google-fu is failing me at the moment. The respected names often bandied about here are Bussmann and Blue Sea Systems. 10amp in the 100v range would work nicely. Higher voltage if you expect to add more panels in your series later.
I found a Bussmann 10amp model but it was 32v which i could not bring myself to recommend.

Anybody have their google-fu going at the moment?
Maybe this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086MYWFLX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back