diy solar

diy solar

Will's video has me conflicted

Ronaldrwl

Will's video using the Growatt and a 48v battery rack, so simple. I got started buying the parts but I'm stuck on Growatt. I know to get the US version but it's not UL listed and it has me worried about code violations...
I've been looking around and it's hard to find a substitute. I've found a Victron and AIMS 4000 Watt, 48v. I found a few others at really high prices.
I have ordered the 48v EG4 battery. Planning on 2400 watts of panels.
Any ideas on AIMS/Victron or another UL listed options?
Thanks,

It depends on how much it matters to you.

Does it have to be UL listed to pass local inspection? (probably)
Does it need to be inspected in the first place? (depends on where you're at)
Things can be not UL listed and still be safe - but do you trust it?

I've seen things that were UL listed that were later found to NOT be safe, at all. There are other things that are technically UL listed but I personally don't trust. For example, I never use the back wiring "push in" connectors on outlets and switches, even though it is OK to use them, simply because I have seen them loosen over time and cause failure. I'll spend the extra 30 seconds it takes to tighten a screw, thanks.

Then there are the things that I know aren't UL listed but I have no problem trusting it (my own DIY for example). Some of that is because of taking some simple precautions on how it is installed.

I'm not trying to push one way or another. And generally speaking UL listed is better.

Will's video using the Growatt and a 48v battery rack, so simple. I got started buying the parts but I'm stuck on Growatt. I know to get the US version but it's not UL listed and it has me worried about code violations...
I've been looking around and it's hard to find a substitute. I've found a Victron and AIMS 4000 Watt, 48v. I found a few others at really high prices.
I have ordered the 48v EG4 battery. Planning on 2400 watts of panels.
Any ideas on AIMS/Victron or another UL listed options?
Thanks,
If it helps, I'm US, and I went with AIMs 12,000w specifically because its UL/ETL listed. AIMS has about 4 models with UL/ETL. Same with Midnite Classic charge controllers - UL/ETL. Same with combiner boxes, circuit breakers. And yes - its more $ for sure!

I did this because I was 'advised' by my electrician (required by city for solar permit) that:
- Inspector would require all UL components. But he didn't seem to care!!.
- That fire insurance claims will more likely succeed if all components are UL (ETL is equivalent)... who knows, but it makes sense.

Finally, an electrical engineer friend suggested that UL/ETL certified usually means a minimum level of quality components - e.g. components may be a bit better than non-UL. The implication is there's a better chance at longer/safer operations? But again, hard to know.

It was the insurance angle that tipped my decision.

Last edited:
All the tier one brands are UL/CE listed, though they are components, not AiOs. Look at Magnum, MorningStar, Outback, and Schneider.
From what I've read, CE is in the same league as UL/ETL. I know that CE is not accepted in my area of the US to meet code Maybe you or someone knows more detail on this?

CE is basically rhe EU equivalent to the US Ul

depend really what you want, just listing doesnt make it safe.

From what I've read, CE is in the same league as UL/ETL. I know that CE is not accepted in my area of the US to meet code Maybe you or someone knows more detail on this?
I mention CE now because I previously mentioned UL listing to another poster here, and he was deeply offended that I didn't automatically know he was European. So, now I try to cover all my bases. Yes, for sure, if you are in America, then pay attention first to UL.

Back