diy solar

diy solar

Winder Generator help

ShelbyWatson

I got a wind generator off of ebay. Came with no instructions except to put the item together. Nothing on how to electronically hook it up.
The winder generator has 3 red electric cords coming from it and nothing else.
Any one able to assist on this?

The 3 wires go to the rectifier. The 3 leads are 3 phase A/C, it doesn't matter which order the wires get hooked to the rectifier.

Post lots of updates and pictures as I am looking at the exact same wind generator. Can't afford to make my own mistakes so prefer for you make them for me.:)

The ad has this picture:
1587590848732.png

The there should be three wires coming off the windmill that should be connected to the 3 green wires.

The red wire is positive to the battery. The black wire is negative to the battery.

The problem is that I have no idea what the charge profile is.
I also wonder if it has any kind of break built in for high winds.

$102 so watta deal!
Similar looking windmill that was recommended on Youtube was $212

The ad has this picture:
View attachment 11607

The there should be three wires coming off the windmill that should be connected to the 3 green wires.

The red wire is positive to the battery. The black wire is negative to the battery.

The problem is that I have no idea what the charge profile is.
I also wonder if it has any kind of break built in for high winds.

Yes, it's supposed to have a break. Ok, so I hook the three red wires to the three green wires.
I also have a MPP 24v 2.4kW PIP Model for my solar panels. Can I just hook this up to that some how? Would I just hook the pos and neg battery wires to the solar neg/pos wires coming into the pip model?

Post lots of updates and pictures as I am looking at the exact same wind generator. Can't afford to make my own mistakes so prefer for you make them for me.:)
Will do! I think it'll work great. It was spinning nicely just sitting on a 5ft wooden fence post. Should work even better on a 20 ft pole. Luckily, we do get the wind here.

Yes, it's supposed to have a break. Ok, so I hook the three red wires to the three green wires.
I also have a MPP 24v 2.4kW PIP Model for my solar panels. Can I just hook this up to that some how? Would I just hook the pos and neg battery wires to the solar neg/pos wires coming into the pip model?

You don't want to hook the turbine to the same charge controller as the solar panels.

This gets into the whole issue about charge profiles. I found a controller that looked physically similar to yours, but even that one had scant info on the charge profile. I would guess the controller output is best suited for flooded lead acid.....but I really don't know.

What kind of battery do you have..... or are you on-grid?

I got a wind generator off of ebay. Came with no instructions except to put the item together. Nothing on how to electronically hook it up.
The winder generator has 3 red electric cords coming from it and nothing else.
Any one able to assist on this?

Most likely, it will "BRAKE' the Wind Turbine (PMA) during Over-Voltage > ~15 Volts and/or Over-Current > 16 Amps for a 12 Volt setup.

You don't want to hook the turbine to the same charge controller as the solar panels.

This gets into the whole issue about charge profiles. I found a controller that looked physically similar to yours, but even that one had scant info on the charge profile. I would guess the controller output is best suited for flooded lead acid.....but I really don't know.

What kind of battery do you have..... or are you on-grid?

Rated Voltage:DC27-54V

Rated Power:
400W
The controller is 12V

I was reading back to the beginning and wondering how/why we got from hooking this up to a battery, as pictured, to now hooking it up to a charge controller?

View attachment 11784

Lol....my general thought process going all directions.
Hoping to have just one charge system setup and not multiple.
A little confused since I was originally told this mpp cold handle solar, wind and generator. However, after seeing nothing in the doc about wind, I am asking.

Hoping to have just one charge system setup and not multiple.
I hear ya! I like simple.

I am not familiar with that windmill but wondering what the blue box is and why it shows being hooked up to a battery. Does that mean it NEEDS to be hooked to a battery? Does that mean it is a charge controller? I dunno. But seeing the blue box's diagram showing 2 wires connected to a battery, i wondered why that was not part of the discussion, and connecting it to a SCC was.

Thats all. It just "looked" like the discussion was going off into the weeds. And I know nothing about this... so there's that. I'll shut up now.

I have 2 of these I got on clearance from Northern tool when they were switching suppliers... never hooked hem up to anything, as I need a pole high enough to clear the 120’ tree line to get any wind...

I hear ya! I like simple.

I am not familiar with that windmill but wondering what the blue box is and why it shows being hooked up to a battery. Does that mean it NEEDS to be hooked to a battery? Does that mean it is a charge controller? I dunno. But seeing the blue box's diagram showing 2 wires connected to a battery, i wondered why that was not part of the discussion, and connecting it to a SCC was.

Thats all. It just "looked" like the discussion was going off into the weeds. And I know nothing about this... so there's that. I'll shut up now.
In this case, the Blue Box is connected between the Wind turbine and the 12 Volt battery.
If functions, as I stated stated in Message #11.
Add your Dump Load controller, as needed.

In this case, the Blue Box is connected between the Wind turbine and the 12 Volt battery.
If functions, as I stated stated in Message #11.

I agree. The box is a charge controller.... but we have no specs on it's charge profile. If I had to guess, it is for a lead-acid bank..... but that is nothing more than a guess.

In the instructions for a similar looking controller, it says it will apply a breaking function as the battery gets charged.... Does that mean a dump load controller is not needed????

We need more info!

I agree. The box is a charge controller.... but we have no specs on it's charge profile. If I had to guess, it is for a lead-acid bank..... but that is nothing more than a guess.

In the instructions for a similar looking controller, it says it will apply a breaking function as the battery gets charged.... Does that mean a dump load controller is not needed????

We need more info!
There is no more information!
It has two functions ... as I stated in message #11.
It is not a true Charge Controller.
Your Diversion / Dump Load Controller manages the Charging Method on your battery bank.

NOTE: The Braking function is extremely hard on the Stator Coils - causing them to over-heat in very high winds.

Some of these units will ...
a) Energize the brake - when the battery voltage approaches 15 volts ( 14.5 -14.7 v )
b) Release the brake - when the battery voltage drops down to ~13.5 volts

It is a very simple On-Off "controller", it is not a 3-Stage Controller, it is not even a 2-Stage Controller.

Last edited:
There is no more information!
It has two functions ... as I stated in message #11.
It is not a true Charge Controller.
Your Diversion / Dump Load Controller manages the Charging Method on your battery bank.

NOTE: The Braking function is extremely hard on the Stator Coils - causing them to over-heat in very high winds.

Some of these units will ...
a) Energize the brake - when the battery voltage approaches 15 volts ( 14.5 -14.7 v )
b) Release the brake - when the battery voltage drops down to ~13.5 volts

It is a very simple On-Off "controller", it is not a 3-Stage Controller, it is not even a 2-Stage Controller.

So, is this what you are talking about?

Back