diy solar

diy solar

Winter blues... quick question

I am aware about the 50% discharge theory [altho I think it's just good marketing,
Its not a theory. You "can" discharge your batteries the entire "rated" Ah all the way to 0V, but doing so pretty much destroys them. By discharging lead acid only 50% (to ~12V) gives a few hundred charge cycles.

Its like saying you "can" jump out of an airplane without a parachute. Once.

Its not a theory. You "can" discharge your batteries the entire "rated" Ah all the way to 0V, but doing so pretty much destroys them. By discharging lead acid only 50% (to ~12V) gives a few hundred charge cycles.

Its like saying you "can" jump out of an airplane without a parachute. Once.
Makes sense. I appreciate the insight. So me using these batteries daily... a few hundred charges - I should be expecting them not to he viable after a year or so?

Battery capacity percentages on the charger display. And I hardwired that predator 2000 into a receptacle in my tiny cabin.. I have a dedicated generator receptacle.. the rest are all solar... and it works just fine with everything. I'm not sure why u see that as a problem outside of some Osha hogwash
I see.... are you talking about running your generator to power your loads now?

Sounded like you wanted to Hard wire your generator to your batteries which is a big no no.

Makes sense. I appreciate the insight. So me using these batteries daily... a few hundred charges - I should be expecting them not to he viable after a year or so?
I was told AGM batteries should last atleast a good 5 to 7 years

I see.... are you talking about running your generator to power your loads now?

Sounded like you wanted to Hard wire your generator to your batteries which is a big no no.
No worries. Exactly. Haha I didn't hardwire them into the batteries or charger.. altho I was planning the charger at the beginning of this thread. I like to use solar for all my simple things which isn't much. I live off grid. I might charge a phone or tablet or run some speakers.. maybe a fan from time to time.. but I typically use that dedicated outlet for my ac unit... otherwise there goes my battery bank before I know it... but yes since it's been low input solar wise lately I have a power strip plugged into it and using 0% solar until I can get it back to proper levels. I just can't afford to run the generator everyday. It adds up and I am waiting on disibility ? haven't had any income since Dec 2022

I should be expecting them not to he viable after a year or so?

I typically use less than 90kw per month... more around 60-70.... I don't have a fridge or TV or non of that "fancy 2023 stuff". I'm out here in the sticks shaolin temple training. No time for that sort of stuff altho a fridge would be nice ?

Interesting. So since I rely on them daily and they are already about 200 days old... got about a year left before I have to drop 2k on replacements. Sheeeeesh

I typically use less than 90kw per month... more around 60-70.... I don't have a fridge or TV or non of that "fancy 2023 stuff". I'm out here in the sticks shaolin temple training. No time for that sort of stuff altho a fridge would be nice ?
This was also during summer so I'm expecting it's going to be an interesting winter

Lol I am just noticing. Your battery capacity is similar to mine. 12v x 800ah= 9KWH. Mine is 24v x 370ah = 8.8KWH.

We have 6500w of solar. you have 800w. I can only imagine the issues you will have this winter....

Its difficult. the solution would be more solar. at the same time there isn't money for it. However spending money on gas for the generator makes it difficult to save money for more solar.

Hope things get better for you.

Interesting. So since I rely on them daily and they are already about 200 days old... got about a year left before I have to drop 2k on replacements. Sheeeeesh
What i got from that article (i'm not an AGM expert by anybody's standards), is that discharging 80% (down to 20% SoC, 160Ah from a 200Ah battery) it will last 500 cycles.
Discharging down to 50% (down to ~12V, 100Ah from a 200Ah battery) it should last over 6 years (they say may not need replacing after 6 years).

90kw per month... more around 60-70
90kWh per month (kW is a rate)

If you use 60kWh per month that is 2kWh per day
2000Wh / 12.8V nominal battery = 156Ah used daily (about 1/3 your usable battery capacity)

If you use 2000Wh per day and we use a 5 hour solar charging per day:

2000Wh / 5h = 400W of solar needed (all operating at 100% which does not happen)

Lol I am just noticing. Your battery capacity is similar to mine. 12v x 800ah= 9KWH. Mine is 24v x 370ah = 8.8KWH.

We have 6500w of solar. you have 800w. I can only imagine the issues you will have this winter....

Its difficult. the solution would be more solar. at the same time there isn't money for it. However spending money on gas for the generator makes it difficult to save money for more solar.

Hope things get better for you.
I appreciate it man. I understand the rover 60 change controller is maxed out at 8 100 watt panels... but I believe I can add more if I switch to 24v... I'll look into but I'm guessing if I wire my batteries in a different configuration I can still use the 12v Batts into 24v rather than having to buy new ones. And thanks again brother for the good wishes. I go to my final disibility evaluation this upcoming morning. I wish my situation wasn't a thing but I suppose His plan will pan out just fine. Maybe He needed me to slow down a lil bit. 34 with a granny walker ?? thanks every one. I'll look more into the options
What i got from that article (i'm not an AGM expert by anybody's standards), is that discharging 80% (down to 20% SoC, 160Ah from a 200Ah battery) it will last 500 cycles.
Discharging down to 50% (down to ~12V, 100Ah from a 200Ah battery) it should last over 6 years (they say may not need replacing after 6 years).

90kWh per month (kW is a rate)

If you use 60kWh per month that is 2kWh per day
2000Wh / 12.8V nominal battery = 156Ah used daily (about 1/3 your usable battery capacity)

If you use 2000Wh per day and we use a 5 hour solar charging per day:

2000Wh / 5h = 400W of solar needed (all operating at 100% which does not happen)
Yes during the summer my typical charge would be 2 to 3.5 kwh.. sometimes 1.7 on the lower end.. I think I might have had 4kwh once or twice. Interesting to know that is only 1/3rd of my fuel tank - any insight on what I can do to fill er up? I made a thread the other day regarding changing the settings in the charge controller. I was told since it's agm totally remove the equalize sequence or what have u and bump up the other boost, etc from 4.6 or whatever is typical to 4.8 and make them all 4.8... I suppose it's supposed to load em up while they are capable and allegedly agm can handle a little higher voltage... again I am a greenhorn... this whole offgrid situation came out of escaping a toxic environment and then a month later I was diagnosed with a rare neuro conditon.. so safe to say my initial plans are on the back burner. I had a shipping container dropped out here and I framed in and insulated the back 16feet. That's my cabin yall. And solar is my source.

6500 watts sheeeesh man and I thought I was hot shit haha I was talking to my old college roommate early this week and it turns out he's a solar broker - he's working on a $5.5m deal right now; 36,000 panels at 550w per panel ?

Interesting to know that is only 1/3rd of my fuel tank - any insight on what I can do to fill er up? I made a thread the other day regarding changing the settings in the charge controller.
I responded to that thread. My math in that thread says you needed 8h of solar charging to charge your batteries from empty. The solar irradiance for Orlando Florida shows 4.55 hours of sun per November day.

So, you'd need about double your 800W array to 1600W to charge your empty battery in 1 day (without using any power while charging).

Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 12.20.19 AM.png

I responded to that thread. My math in that thread says you needed 8h of solar charging to charge your batteries from empty. The solar irradiance for Orlando Florida shows 4.55 hours of sun per November day.

So, you'd need about double your 800W array to 1600W to charge your empty battery in 1 day (without using any power while charging).

View attachment 178474
Did you run my IP u nerd? ? I never mentioned anything about Orlando ever... bout 3 or so hours away but close Snowden

View attachment 178474
BTW thanks for that chart. I had no idea how low the hours were.. altho my panels are placed at 33 degrees. I did this calculator for my coordinates and one extreme was like I dunno 46 degrees and the other was like 15... I think 46 was more so winter... so I tried to find a number inbetween but that would be more beneficial during the winter because during the summer I assumed I'd get sufficient input regardless

Lucky guess. I originally picked Miami and thought that was too far south and Orlando was right there just below Miami Beach.
??? I was just thinking well shit where did u even get florida from... then I remembered my profile ? MisterSandles I do remember u from the other thread immediately when u first posted in this one. Thanks truly for all the insight and assistance. U are a good man. All of u. These forums are God sent. Thanks again

Back