diy solar

diy solar

Winter storage, what would you do, what should you do?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
In a nutshell, remote cabin. Off grid. Actually no grid, nothing. Not used for the winter. It gets cold. -40 Celsius sometimes.

I have:

SOK rack battery
victron multipluss
eg4 chargeverter.

I’ve read 30-70% charge for the battery, turn,off,bms and see ya in spring.

can I leave all my stuff for the winter?
would you?

it’s not a lot of trouble to unhook everything and bring it home.

Personally I would take the battery to a warm place.
The rest is fine to stay.

I’ve also read somewhere to cycle the battery every 6 months. It would be almost exactly 6 months in storage.

would you cycle or just charge to say 70% and bring it home?

It’s just a sok rack 100ah
I charged my batteries to 70% and left them in the cold (down to -25C) over the winter and they were fine. I didn't have a choice, but I think it would be to keep them in a warm place always.

What does the manufactures say?

I cover my butt and pull my 460ah 12v battery for winter to live in a garage, I should draw the storage down a bit. I think I left it at 100% last fall (oct) and it was at 70-80% come this past April.

My SCC and inverter enjoy a frosty winter in the camp.

What does the manufactures say?

I cover my butt and pull my 460ah 12v battery for winter to live in a garage, I should draw the storage down a bit. I think I left it at 100% last fall (oct) and it was at 70-80% come this past April.

My SCC and inverter enjoy a frosty winter in the camp.

i couldn’t find any info. I emailed current connected. Other companies of lfp say not to store long term in super freezing

CC recommended to,bring the battery home. I asked how high of a charge and haven’t heard back yet. I’m thinking 75%?

Considering my battery is a little over 200lb, I'm just leaving mine up there.
For me besides the 200 LBS weight, my home built battery would be disassembled to individual cells. There’s a bit of risk when this is done.

My situation is the opposite. I deal with 115 f days when i store the Rv in the summer. I store the battery at 30% to 50%. I have no real data on the summer storage, I did ask for advice on the forum

I wonder if Current Connect based the bring the battery home advice off any data, or if it was just the easiest most lest likely to be held liable answer.

Last winter my outside system was sorta hooked up but not finished.. all the Victron stuff stayed mounted ( down to -15 F) ..before it got cold I brought all the batts inside and they quietly sat there at 13.3v till spring…it was never a consideration to leave them sitting out in the cold…too much money to gamble with….I finished rehooking everything last march… this year the trailer will be heated to stay about 50F from its own power…I won’t move anything , I will use it .

For me besides the 200 LBS weight, my home built battery would be disassembled to individual cells. There’s a bit of risk when this is done.

My situation is the opposite. I deal with 115 f days when i store the Rv in the summer. I store the battery at 30% to 50%. I have no real data on the summer storage, I did ask for advice on the forum

I wonder if Current Connect based the bring the battery home advice off any data, or if it was just the easiest most lest likely to be held liable answer.
Check out the Victron info on heat and storage and lifepo batts ..it’s very revealing …
it seems no matter what ya buy or what ya plan, somthin is always messin with you or yer stuff.
J

From what I read, depends on battery, -4 to -15 F is ok with them disconnected.
That said I am still considering building the battery bank from 12 v 100aH batteries. At least I can lift them into the truck for 2000 mile trip to home port and check on from time to time. Typically temps at the off grid site are 18 to 20 F rising to 40 to 50 F during the day.

Back