diy solar

diy solar

Wire size

Don’t use that as a buss bar…

Cons:
Thin brass bar (much higher resistance than copper.

Pros: cheap (or is that a con???).
It does have plastic covers.

Find a tin plated copper busbar - Blue Sea - Victron PowerIn. Make sure the bus bar is 1/4” thick.
I dropped this one for same reasons you mentioned

Back to the blue sea chart, remember that is for 105C tinned wire. We prefer to keep losses to 3% or less so I find 10 AWG tinned marine grade wire is great up to 30 feet. Beyond that or higher currents go larger.

Don’t use that as a buss bar…

Cons:
Thin brass bar (much higher resistance than copper.

Pros: cheap (or is that a con???).
It does have plastic covers.

Find a tin plated copper busbar - Blue Sea - Victron PowerIn. Make sure the bus bar is 1/4” thick.
This one? 100a enough?IMG_4061.jpeg

No I don’t need to grow It’s only for a cabin. I only have 6 12v batteries that I have to wire to 24v

Last edited:
For bus bars - if they will fit- look at the Victron PowerIn. (Look for a YouTube video about adding fuses to them).

I would have one PowerIn (w/fuses) connecting to the batteries, then on the negative side the Smartshunt/BMV712, and the positive side a fuse and master shutoff switch, then they go to another PowerIn w/fuses that has your inverter wires, Mppt wires, and any other loads. (24 to 12v converter?).
What size of Smartshunt? Will put a fuse on on the positive side also to accommodate the 2/0 wire from inverter. So 2 awg from cc to batteries and then 2/0 to inverter?

The amp rating of the shunt should be greater than the maximum potential load current plus maximum potential charge current.

Haven't been following the post, not sure about the wire sizes.

Thanks for input. If you get the time scroll up and let me know what you think please? Was going with 2 awg from cc to batteries and 2/0 from inverter to batteries. Atleast that’s what someone suggested but if not good enough can certainly change. Iam just trying to get sizes before I order things.

Thanks for input. If you get the time scroll up and let me know what you think please? Was going with 2 awg from cc to batteries and 2/0 from inverter to batteries. Atleast that’s what someone suggested but if not good enough can certainly change. Iam just trying to get sizes before I order things.
I would just look at wire ampacity chart or use a wire size calculator and do what it says.

Back