diy solar

diy solar

Wiring help for 6kw panels to EG4 6500ex

scottmag

Hey folks, I've got 20 300w panels about 50ft from my EG4 6500ex inverter (which is connected to 6 of the EG4 batteries in a rack). I'm ready to connect the panels to the inverter, but I'm unsure of the best way to wire my panels up. Series or parallel? Do I need a combiner box if my voltage/wattage is within the inverter's limits? And what gauge should I use for this setup to make a 50ft run?

These are the cables I was planning to use: https://signaturesolar.com/pv-wire-100-ft-10-gauge-copper-30-amp-black-red/

Do I just plug each panel into the panel next to it and then the final panel into this longer wire and then directly into my inverter's pv inputs? Seems too easy...

The exact wiring will depend on the panels, if you share the model number, spec sheet, or a photo of the specification label on the panel, as well as the record cold temperature for your area, we can help figure it out. There are voltage and current limits, as well as an operation range of voltages, that will determine how to wire your panels to your inverter. Do you just have one 6500ex, or more than one in parallel?

Hey folks, I've got 20 300w panels about 50ft from my EG4 6500ex inverter (which is connected to 6 of the EG4 batteries in a rack). I'm ready to connect the panels to the inverter, but I'm unsure of the best way to wire my panels up. Series or parallel? Do I need a combiner box if my voltage/wattage is within the inverter's limits? And what gauge should I use for this setup to make a 50ft run?

These are the cables I was planning to use: https://signaturesolar.com/pv-wire-100-ft-10-gauge-copper-30-amp-black-red/

Do I just plug each panel into the panel next to it and then the final panel into this longer wire and then directly into my inverter's pv inputs? Seems too easy...
Hi,first you must know your panel VOC, then you can make your conclusion parallel or series setup, # 10 wire is good

Based on my calculations you will want to spilt your panels in to 2 strings of 10 panels connected in series to each other. Each string will connect to one of the 2 PV inputs on your inverter. 12 AWG wire is both sufficient for the max current and voltage drop of the 50ft run. No combiner box is needed, but you will want disconnect switch to isolate the panels from the inverter. Also you will want to run a ground wire, 6 AWG where exposed, 12 AWG when in cable or conduit, from the panels to the inverter to bond the metal of the panels and the mount to the ground system of building with the inverter.

Based on my calculations you will want to spilt your panels in to 2 strings of 10 panels connected in series to each other. Each string will connect to one of the 2 PV inputs on your inverter. 12 AWG wire is both sufficient for the max current and voltage drop of the 50ft run. No combiner box is needed, but you will want disconnect switch to isolate the panels from the inverter. Also you will want to run a ground wire, 6 AWG where exposed, 12 AWG when in cable or conduit, from the panels to the inverter to bond the metal of the panels and the mount to the ground system of building with the inverter.
Ok very helpful thank you! I don’t entirely know what you mean by the ground wire part but I can YouTube it and see what I find.

Thank you!

My next question is, from eg4 6500ex to my main breaker panel, what gauge/type of wire should I use? The main panel is a 200amp panel and currently only running a single 6500ex inverter.

My next question is, from eg4 6500ex to my main breaker panel, what gauge/type of wire should I use? The main panel is a 200amp panel and currently only running a single 6500ex inverter.
4 AWG / 70 amp breaker

Ok very helpful thank you! I don’t entirely know what you mean by the ground wire part but I can YouTube it and see what I find.
Youtube is going to be terrible for learning about how to ground & bond a system. Much more the purview of carefully curated and read written material.

Heck this forum has >50% people that are wrong about grounding info.

I don't understand the question.

Since you're off-grid with only inverters feeding the 200A bus it can easily handle a 70A inverter backfeed breaker. You can go up to 200A of inverter backfeed breakers.
Can you explain, like I’m an idiot, what you mean by a 70A backfeed breaker?

I don't understand the question.

Since you're off-grid with only inverters feeding the 200A bus it can easily handle a 70A inverter backfeed breaker. You can go up to 200A of inverter backfeed breakers.
I’m sorry, are you referring to the breaker I’ll place between the inverter and the main panel?

Yes put 70A breaker in your 200A main panel. And you should use a backfeed hold down for safety and code compliance

These are two kinds I've installed. The type depends on the panel manufacturer.

I think you should post a lot of pictures of your install before powering it up... you're sort of going through this piece meal and bottom up, having someone do a visual over what you end up with is about as good as you can get on quality checking of this install.

For things like how tightly stuff is installed/secured and checking every thing that was manipulated... the only person that can quality check it is yourself...

1698711630037.png

Yes put 70A breaker in your 200A main panel. And you should use a backfeed hold down for safety and code compliance

These are two kinds I've installed. The type depends on the panel manufacturer.

I think you should post a lot of pictures of your install before powering it up... you're sort of going through this piece meal and bottom up, having someone do a visual over what you end up with is about as good as you can get on quality checking of this install.

For things like how tightly stuff is installed/secured and checking every thing that was manipulated... the only person that can quality check it is yourself...

View attachment 175265
Thank you that is very very helpful. I’m going to do more reading and research before asking more questions or doing anything else.

Also you will want to run a ground wire, 6 AWG where exposed, 12 AWG when in cable or conduit, from the panels to the inverter to bond the metal of the panels and the mount to the ground system of building with the inverter.
Asking because i do not know...
Since the array is so far away, is connecting the array to a ground rod an acceptable alternative?

Asking because i do not know...
Since the array is so far away, is connecting the array to a ground rod an acceptable alternative?
A ground rod at the array is not required or recommend, we want the whole system to be a the same ground potential, the actual ground is bad at this so we need a wire to tie the array to the buildings ground system.

A ground rod at the array is not required or recommend, we want the whole system to be a the same ground potential, the actual ground is bad at this so we need a wire to tie the array to the buildings ground system.
My array is mounted on wood on the ground while my batteries and inverters are in a wooden shed near my house, but not touching. Do you know of a guide to help me ground my system?

My array is mounted on wood on the ground while my batteries and inverters are in a wooden shed near my house, but not touching. Do you know of a guide to help me ground my system?
There's this series of resources on grounding: https://diysolarforum.com/resources/grounding-made-simpler-part-3-solar-panels.160/

Since they are all interconnected they will all need to have a ground interconnecting them. The shed will require a grounding electrode system, ground rods, etc.

I recommend Mike Holt's videos for some overview on this subject. A good one to start with is on YouTube titled "Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems, Equipment Grounding and Bonding, NEC 2020" - [690.43], (6min:23sec) it's a good place to hear from a number of professionals.

I recommend Mike Holt's videos for some overview on this subject. A good one to start with is on YouTube titled "Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Systems, Equipment Grounding and Bonding, NEC 2020" - [690.43], (6min:23sec) it's a good place to hear from a number of professionals.
Hard to stay awake during those!

Will the two strings connect to each other? and then a single red and single black run to the inverter? Would anyone be able to assist with a basic diagram? I've attached a photo of my ground mount...2 rows of 10 panels.

Attachments

• tempImageIjhcyY.png
    tempImageIjhcyY.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Will the two strings connect to each other? and then a single red and single black run to the inverter? Would anyone be able to assist with a basic diagram? I've attached a photo of my ground mount...2 rows of 10 panels.
The two strings will be separate runs back to the inverter, a separate red and black for each sting. There are 2 PV inputs on your inverter each string will connect to each of the inputs

diy solar

diy solar
Back