diy solar

diy solar

XUBA:: How long is it taking you guys to get your XUBA shipments??

Got mine last Friday 5/29/2020 they were ordered on from Xuba on 4/5/2020 shipped via sea to Michigan.

They were in perfect shape and all measured within a thousandths of a volt of each other. I purchased 17 of them and am in the process of checking the capacity now. Very happy.
Hey newbostonconst, what size did you order, 280ah or 105ah? Glad to here they looked good and tested close for voltage. Looking forward to hearing your experience with capacity tests. If you have the 280ah cells is there anything on them or with the paper work that specifies them as grade A?
Thanks,
tt

I've noticed on their web site that only the 105ah cells are explicitly called out as grade A . What do you all think about this?
I doesn't matter to me as long as they have the capacity and are reasonably close in internal resistance. At less than $125 per kWh they are a good value. I am going to treat them conservatively.

My 8 arrived yesterday and were in perfect shape. Assembled and balanced them yesterday and it didn't take too long to balance and charge to 3.4v ea. Been running a capacity test since last night @19a and am 4156wh into it. Currently sitting at 3.26v ea. Unless I start a fire soon I'm completely satisfied so far.

Just need my bms to arrive.

For those of you that have already received your batteries how do you like them so far? Have you done any capacity tests yet; are they matched pretty well for top and bottom balancing; does anything on them or thier paper work say that the 280ah cells are grade A? I've noticed on their web site that only the 105ah cells are explicitly called out as grade A . What do you all think about this?
I'm very happy with my 8-280ah LiFePo4 batteries. I top balanced them at 3.6 volts and I'm within 10 mV. I have not discharged them all the way yet but so far at 25% discharge, I'm still within 10 mV. The internal resistance on all of my cells was 0.13-0.14 ohms. I finished building up my pack today and still testing with my inverter and solar charge controller. Setting my Absorption voltage at 28.4V (3.55V cell) and Float at 27.0V (3.375V cell) on both inverter/charger and SCC. Inverter low voltage warning at 24V (3.0V cell), cutoff at 23V (2.875 V cell) and I have set my Chargery BMS at a High Voltage cutoff of 29.2V (3.65V cell) and Low Voltage cutoff at 2.8 V per cell. I made my own busbars from 0.1875" x 1" copper bar stock. Building a movable (although heavy) setup using a Harbor Freight 18" x 30" wood dolly as the base and 3/4" plywood for my box. Approximate weight of the entire system estimated at 200 lbs. Amy told me when I was ordering the batteries that they were brand new Grade A cells, and I believe her. The terminals were spotless.

IMG_3266.jpgIMG_3271.jpgIMG_3257.jpgIMG_3263.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my 8-280ah LiFePo4 batteries. I top balanced them at 3.6 volts and I'm within 10 mV. I have not discharged them all the way yet but so far at 25% discharge, I'm still within 10 mV. The internal resistance on all of my cells was 0.13-0.14 ohms. I finished building up my pack today and still testing with my inverter and solar charge controller. Setting my Absorption voltage at 28.4V (3.55V cell) and Float at 27.0V (3.375V cell) on both inverter/charger and SCC. Inverter low voltage warning at 24V (3.0V cell), cutoff at 23V (2.875 V cell) and I have set my Chargery BMS at a High Voltage cutoff of 29.2V (3.65V cell) and Low Voltage cutoff at 2.8 V per cell. I made my own busbars from 0.1875" x 1" copper bar stock. Building a movable (although heavy) setup using a Harbor Freight 18" x 30" wood dolly as the base and 3/4" plywood for my box. Approximate weight of the entire system estimated at 200 lbs. Amy told me when I was ordering the batteries that they were brand new Grade A cells, and I believe her. The terminals were spotless.

View attachment 14606View attachment 14607View attachment 14608View attachment 14605
That's interesting.
What's the purpose of the portable system?

That's interesting.
What's the purpose of the portable system?
I'm planning to install it to run some essential home loads with off-grid solar, but I wanted to put it on wheels so I could move it around for increased flexibility if necessary in an emergency. Due to its weight, it probably won't be moved all that often, but its on wheels just in case.

Hey newbostonconst, what size did you order, 280ah or 105ah? Glad to here they looked good and tested close for voltage. Looking forward to hearing your experience with capacity tests. If you have the 280ah cells is there anything on them or with the paper work that specifies them as grade A?
Thanks,
tt
280 I questioned if they were grade A and they said yes....haha...highly technical method.

My tracking number just went live! Delivery is scheduled for 6/11!
That will be 51 days since they shipped.

anyone finding 150ah in stock?
I looked a while ago and for some market reason the 280s seem to be the commodity leader then. I would have preferred 64 150 Ah batteries to the 32 280s that I purchased, but I didn't find any from sellers with inventory and a track record on this forum. Subsequent to my order, I think I recall, @fhorst found some.

Mine went live a couple days ago, due to arrive 6/9 - 6/11, hard to tell because I now have four different tracking numbers. Amy said it shipped as 4 boxes, 2 cells per box. I ordered 4/16, they shipped 4/18, arrived in US and container opened for inspection around 5/22, Fedex tracking number went live 6/5. Looks like it will be close to 60 days total from order placed to my front door.

Mine went live a couple days ago, due to arrive 6/9 - 6/11, hard to tell because I now have four different tracking numbers. Amy said it shipped as 4 boxes, 2 cells per box. I ordered 4/16, they shipped 4/18, arrived in US and container opened for inspection around 5/22, Fedex tracking number went live 6/5. Looks like it will be close to 60 days total from order placed to my front door.
Received two 6/9, two 6/10, four 6/11. All look great, have capacity tested first four at 280.1 - 283.0 Ah. Had hoped for a little extra margin but can't complain about exactly meeting spec!

There were nearly full, didn't take long to top balance. Balance during the capacity test discharge was very good, all four cells stayed within +/- 2mV down to at least 20%. At 275Ah drained (2-3% SOC), the cells were still in a range of 2.984 - 3.054, lowest to highest correlating with the cell capacity, total pack voltage 12.13V. Pretty good I think. I could implement a LVD at a nice safe 3.0V lowest cell voltage and only leave 3% SOC unused. And I think I'll just leave balancing off on my BMS for a while and see how it does without it. Now to finish testing the other four...

Very happy with the purchase!!

Batteries arrived today! Ordered April 20, shipped April 28. 52 days in transit.
In good condition. One cell had the label stick to some foam and peeled up.
Terminals are clean and unused. Looks like they have been used once to test.
2 extra brass bolts and 1 extra copper bus bar. Bus bars are pretty low quality. All are different lengths and thin enough, I will need to add some washers or cut the bolts.
They are very well matched. After 52 days, voltages as follows:
1 - 3.2970
2 - 3.2992
3 - 3.2997
4 - 3.2995
Can't start testing until I receive a couple more deliveries. Hoping for next week.

Attachments

• 20200612_164156.jpg
    20200612_164156.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200612_164234.jpg
    20200612_164234.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200612_172741.jpg
    20200612_172741.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 42
Bus bars are pretty low quality. All are different lengths and thin enough, I will need to add some washers or cut the bolts.

You got that right, according to my calculations they are only good for 45 amps.

Greg

Batteries arrived today! Ordered April 20, shipped April 28. 52 days in transit.
2 extra brass bolts and 1 extra copper bus bar. Bus bars are pretty low quality. All are different lengths and thin enough, I will need to add some washers or cut the bolts.
1 - 3.2970
2 - 3.2992
3 - 3.2997
4 - 3.2995
Can't start testing until I receive a couple more deliveries. Hoping for next week.
Thanks for the update; looking forward to your experience .... sort of weird that the bolt won't seat all the way.

1 - 3.2970
2 - 3.2992
3 - 3.2997
4 - 3.2995
Which BMS are you using?

Back