diy solar

diy solar

2021 Honda Generator Carbon Monoxide Indicator

My 3000is is working fine in an enclosure and it's on year 17 or 18 of being in it!
It all depends on how you build the enclosure. At any given time my unit is actually cooler in the enclosure than if it was outside. I designed force ventilation that uses the fan on the generator to pull cool air from outside over the generator. It does this while blocking the Sun and Rain from getting to the generator. My only concern is that if there is a high enough wind like during a hurricane it might blow the exhause back into the enclosure and shutdown the generator. It would be impossible for me to go out in 90+ MPH winds to reset the unit so I would be SOL.
If you have excellent circulation, then you wouldn't have any issues with a carbon monoxide sensor going off.

My experience has been that the sensors do not generate false alarms, and thus there's no need to protect against that risk.
Yes they do! Honda tells you to put the generator so the back is facing down wind. If the wind changes direction and blows the other way the generator trips.

Yes they do! Honda tells you to put the generator so the back is facing down wind. If the wind changes direction and blows the other way the generator trips.
Just because Honda says it doesn't make it so. A month ago, I ran TWO of these generators with the exhaust from one pointing at the control panel of the other, and the CO sensor never triggered.

Read my post again!

Read my post above: I ran the exhaust of an EU2200 right at the control panel of another one, and the CO sensor never triggered.

If the CO sensor is going off, you don't just a small issue. You have a major problem. You should not worry about exhaust being blown back at the unit.

I've already tested just unplugging the sensor entirely. When you do that, the generator still works.
Have you fully tested it? The guy in the original video thought his solution worked but then we found out that another layer of protection was involved.
Just because Honda says it doesn't make it so. A month ago, I ran TWO of these generators with the exhaust from one pointing at the control panel of the other, and the CO sensor never triggered.
Lucky for you, I have two EU3000is and my old one shutdown the new one when the exhaust was blown over it by the wind.

Okay I re read this and I can see that you know more about Honda Generators than Honda! :rolleyes:

Have you fully tested it? The guy in the original video thought his solution worked but then we found out that another layer of protection was involved.

Lucky for you, I have two EU3000is and my old one shutdown the new one when the exhaust was blown over it by the wind.

Whenever I buy a new generator, I run it for about 25 hours (to first oil change) to burn it in and make sure that everything is going to work.

I ran both units and variously pointed one exhaust at the other's control panel for an hour at a time with no issues.

I then unplugged the sensor on one of my two units, and ran the unit for the remainder of my burn in time (8 hours a day for about two more days) without any issues.

Okay I re read this and I can see that you know more about Honda Generators than Honda! :rolleyes:

Honda doesn't always tell the truth about what they know. That's why they keep getting fined by CARB and other government entities. The latest fines were imposed because Honda lied about evaporative emissions.

Also, the "Honda" here in America didn't design or make these generators. They just distribute them. They know only what Honda Japan wants them to know.

What I know is based upon what I've observed the machines actually doing.

If you choose to believe what people tell you over what you can perceive with your own senses, I have an ocean in Nevada to sell you.

Whenever I buy a new generator, I run it for about 25 hours (to first oil change) to burn it in and make sure that everything is going to work.

I ran both units and variously pointed one exhaust at the other's control panel for an hour at a time with no issues.

I then unplugged the sensor on one of my two units, and ran the unit for the remainder of my burn in time (8 hours a day for about two more days) without any issues.
And do you know if the low oil shutdown sensor still works? The two thing are intertwined according to the schematic.

And do you know if the low oil shutdown sensor still works? The two thing are intertwined according to the schematic.

I definitely don't know. Because the Canadian variant does NOT have a CO sensor or bluetooth, but does have a low oil shutdown feature, I suspect that it will continue to work.

I strongly recommend that you check your oil levels every day before you start your machine. It only takes a few seconds, and if you don't, you're running the risk that the oil level shutdown sensor malfunctions and low oil ruins your machine. I do it, and I've never had a Honda generator that burned any noticeable amount of oil in between oil changes.

If you choose to believe what people tell you over what you can perceive with your own senses, I have an ocean in Nevada to sell you.
I have been through 5 hurricanes with this generator over the last 17 years and that includes being without power for a week. It was running the whole time as the power always dies within minutes of a storm hitting. I can key start my unit from in my house and I built my own enclosure and measure the Temp, Oxygen and Carbon Monoxide levels within it while it was running in the enclosure.

Here is just some of the Gas measuring devices I own. If you have done this kind of real world testing please show me what you tested it with.

Gas Meters.jpg
I think I know enough about how it operates in the real world, more than most people. I have also seen one the older unit shut down the newer one just by the wind blowing the wrong way.

Last edited:
My 3000is is working fine in an enclosure and it's on year 17 or 18 of being in it!

Ditto. I had one in an enclosure for over a decade with zero issues. Perhaps the naysayers are thinking it's just in a box with no consideration for ventilation. Of course it is that same ventilation that can cause the problem.

Ditto. I had one in an enclosure for over a decade with zero issues. Perhaps the naysayers are thinking it's just in a box with no consideration for ventilation. Of course it is that same ventilation that can cause the problem.
Yep I suspect that they think this is not something that is measured and accounted for. My unit actually runs cooler in the Box and it normally has very little CO in there when running.

My only issue is when those storm gust pick up in the wrong direction. They can literally push all the exhaust air back into the box for several seconds. This is not a heating issue for me, it's that dam CO sensor clicking off issue that worries me. If you have ever been outside in even 70MPH winds you know it's not a comfortable feeling when stuff is flying around. I have no desire to go outside and reset a generator knowing that it may happen again in 5 minutes.

Just my .02...

I have my 6500 Champion generator in 8'x8' shed at my off-grid cabin. Two reasons: Can't have it out in the rain/snow and can't easily drag it in and out anymore. I have a large metal exhaust fan blowing (2'x 2') out the back of the shed with the generator exhaust facing within 6 inches away from it. Even with that, as a test, I set my CO monitor in the shed to make sure it was working. Within minutes it was screaming.

So I'm sure any generator with a CO sensor would shut off inside the shed. I would be looking to disable that sensor as well...

Thoughts, in no particular order:

I share the emergency reliability concerns as well. Having power isn't a "would be nice" type of thing for me, it's a medical necessity in my family. When we need power, we NEED power.

I take responsibility for my own safety. I check my own air pressure in my car tires, I don't drink motor oil, and I won't run a generator in my living room. I'll accept that responsibility, in exchange for knowing I won't have an end-of-life sensor shut my generator down when it's desperately needed.

That said, I'd prefer the sensor bypass be reversible. Eventually I'll be selling this generator, and will re-activate the sensor before I do so. Don't want to be liable if some mental defective does run the generator in their living room, and kills their whole family, thinking the sensor will save them.

I wouldn't run ANY engine for 25 hours on break-in oil. A few hours, tops.

I have run two back to back on the bench after servicing and the one with the CO sensor tripped and shut off. Don't remember how long it took but it wasn't long.

The other person who said these generators just ground out the coil to stop is also not correct.

The coil gets it's ignition pulse from the control board.

Thoughts, in no particular order:

I share the emergency reliability concerns as well. Having power isn't a "would be nice" type of thing for me, it's a medical necessity in my family. When we need power, we NEED power.

I take responsibility for my own safety. I check my own air pressure in my car tires, I don't drink motor oil, and I won't run a generator in my living room. I'll accept that responsibility, in exchange for knowing I won't have an end-of-life sensor shut my generator down when it's desperately needed.

That said, I'd prefer the sensor bypass be reversible. Eventually I'll be selling this generator, and will re-activate the sensor before I do so. Don't want to be liable if some mental defective does run the generator in their living room, and kills their whole family, thinking the sensor will save them.

I wouldn't run ANY engine for 25 hours on break-in oil. A few hours, tops.
You can’t legislate against stupidity but they try..

Wow I forgot about this thread.
Several months ago I opened the front and followed the video in post #94.
I put black tape over the sensor and then put a coating of liquid black tape over the tape and onto the metal around the tape.
Then I connected back the Sensor and ran the generator in an enclosed area for a few minutes.
I am happy to report no shutdown issues and the generator ran perfectly.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
Unless the sensor wears out over time, or electronics decide its days are numbered. That is the case for CO detectors (due, I think, to a law.)

Back