diy solar

diy solar

24 volt system blueprints missing

Fran365

Anyone know why these blueprints are gone, I was using them as a guide, anything wrong with the set up?

The 24V blueprint is still here:

The 24V blueprint is still here:

the 'all in one' is not the blueprint I'm following, Rednecktec send me the one I need.

What setup?
First I'm not looking for the 'all in one' blueprints, Rednecktec has sent me the one I'm using. When I say the "set up"I'm thinking I don't see them because they may be in the process of upgrading.

Hi, one of my goals is a water pump to draw water from our well, I've heard a 24v pump is better. But I am set up with a step down to 12v system and little panel.

RV style diaphragm pump?

A 24v diaphragm pump will flow the same amount of water as a 12v only benefit is less current.

Hi, one of my goals is a water pump to draw water from our well, I've heard a 24v pump is better. But I am set up with a step down to 12v system and little panel.
Is this a mobile setup or stationary?
Sounds like its stationary.
Most well pumps are 240VAC.
The distance induced voltage drop at 24 volts makes it impractical for a well pump.
If you don't need pure dc loads the system gets way simpler.

Last edited:
Hi smoothyJoey, details: my solar system is portable, my well water starts at40 feet, and I’m wanting to have a way to extract some water in a grid down emergency. I’ve shyed away from trying 240v from a 24v 2000 watt system. Fran

Hi smoothyJoey, details: my solar system is portable, my well water starts at40 feet, and I’m wanting to have a way to extract some water in a grid down emergency. I’ve shyed away from trying 240v from a 24v 2000 watt system. Fran
There are some 120VAC well pumps.
Gundfos is a well regarded manufacturer.

I’ve shyed away from trying 240v from a 24v 2000 watt system.
As I have.
I want to avoid the complexity and cost of producing 240v (ac) with a solar system.
With a grid down situation I can live without the 240v(ac) appliances except for my water pump.
I've looked at Grundfos Submersible Pumps as the solution
https://backwoodssolar.com/product-...rsible-well-pumps/grundfos-submersible-pumps/

I'd sacrifice a bit of water pressure compared to my existing pump but it beats not having water at all.
The only reason I haven't done it yet is price
- $1000 is more than I can afford right now while expanding my system with new panels and battery capacity.
(not to mention the unexpected medical bills I piled up this spring)

The only reason I haven't done it yet is price
- $1000 is more than I can afford right now while expanding my system with new panels and battery capacity.
(not to mention the unexpected medical bills I piled up this spring)
For about the same price you can get a 24v inverter that outputs 3Kw/6Kw split phase. Not having to pull up a 300ft deep well pump makes it an easy choice when I get to that point.

There are some 120VAC well pumps.
Gundfos is a well regarded manufacturer.
Yes, I've seen them at New England solar. I'd like to drop a say ,1/2" line down the well and pump out whats needed, maybe 4 gallons a day, which would/could be supplemented with rain water catchment. I do tend to think small, I'm working with 24v, 2000watt, 100ah 24v batteries and 500 watts solar.

Last edited:
For about the same price you can get a 24v inverter that outputs 3Kw/6Kw split phase. Not having to pull up a 300ft deep well pump makes it an easy choice when I get to that point.
But I already have an inverter that meets my needs.
If I had to pull 300 ft., that would be the deal breaker :)

Yes, I've seen them at New England solar. I'd like to drop a say ,1/2" line down the well and pump out whats needed, maybe 4 gallons a day, which would/could be supplemented with rain water catchment. I do tend to think small, I'm working with 24v, 2000watt, 100ah 24v batteries and 500 watts solar.
Something like this then?
Well water pump, 12 V / 24 V DC
https://www.amazon.com/Well-water-s...ocphy=9005349&hvtargid=pla-304510845500&psc=1

RV style diaphragm pump?

A 24v diaphragm pump will flow the same amount of water as a 12v only benefit is less current.
Diaphragm pump: Yes maybe, I just want a flow of water from 40 feet down. 24/12 volt: so the 24v pump would require a thinner wire, I'd be about 15 feet from the solar set up.

Diaphragm pump: Yes maybe, I just want a flow of water from 40 feet down. 24/12 volt: so the 24v pump would require a thinner wire, I'd be about 15 feet from the solar set up.
This is helpful to figure the voltage drop aspect.

Back