diy solar

diy solar

280AH Cell layout and wiring.

misterpat

Hello everyone.

I just ordered my 8 280AH cells from China. While I wait for them, I'm figuring out how I'm going to fit all this in the space I have available.

Whats everyone's thoughts on this cell layout? This will give me the room to mount the inverter next to it.

8s 24V.

Inverter-Battery.png

Another question I have regarding this is my inverter is going to be a Victron Multiplus 3000 24V. I'm new to this so go easy! By my math, it looks like the inverter will pull 125 amps at 24V full load. I was wondering on what BMS to run. I wanted to run Overkill BMS's as I read good things about them. But there 24V BMS is only good to 100 amps.

The challenge with that configuration will be the compression frame. How are you going to keep the cells compressed?

Is your diagram looking down from above? Just checking to make sure your cells are oriented upright (terminals up).

There may be a 150 amp 24v BMS from JBD. However, I may be thinking of the 12v version.

I chose to keep my trailer's system at 12v and put in two batteries, each with its own BMS. That gives me a total of 240 amps, although at 12v.

The challenge with that configuration will be the compression frame. How are you going to keep the cells compressed?

Is your diagram looking down from above? Just checking to make sure your cells are oriented upright (terminals up).

There may be a 150 amp 24v BMS from JBD. However, I may be thinking of the 12v version.

I chose to keep my trailer's system at 12v and put in two batteries, each with its own BMS. That gives me a total of 240 amps, although at 12v.

Thanks, HRTKD.

Yeah, I was thinking about the compression part. The more I think about it, I think I am better off making 2 compressible packs. Each with their own 100 amp BMS. From my diagram, the cells are upright. I could mount them on their sides, but I'm not sure thats a good idea in a mobile application.

I don't know how tight your space is, but don't underestimate the bulk of cables and fuses, as well as any shunts, relays etc. Your inverter also needs ventilation and probably has a preferred physical orientation.

I am planning my 8 cell pack also. I just don't know which way to go on compression.

Try this, it will answer several questions, issues etc.
Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide

I bundle cells in blocks of 4 and bind them so if I have to swap a cell or something, I can pull a four pack out and do whatever and then rebind it and put it back in place (If ever needed). I also add a PULL STRING to each 4 cell bundle, making it possible to pull it from the box. Try pulling it out of a tight box without and you'll be cursing like a Drunken Sailor on Saturday night after having been at sea for 10 months.

JDB Bms Listings (sorted & shown in list format)

Cell compression should be done at 25C/77F temp with a charge of 3.200 per cell which is the Nominal Voltage & "Neutral" state with regards to expansion & contraction.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Hello everyone.

I just ordered my 8 280AH cells from China. While I wait for them, I'm figuring out how I'm going to fit all this in the space I have available.

Whats everyone's thoughts on this cell layout? This will give me the room to mount the inverter next to it.

8s 24V.

View attachment 57039

Another question I have regarding this is my inverter is going to be a Victron Multiplus 3000 24V. I'm new to this so go easy! By my math, it looks like the inverter will pull 125 amps at 24V full load. I was wondering on what BMS to run. I wanted to run Overkill BMS's as I read good things about them. But there 24V BMS is only good to 100 amps.
Be sure to account for the two odd busbars, you'll have to fabricate them.

If you want a JBD BMS (Overkill is rebranded and tested JBD) they also make a slightly different 150 amp rated version.

LMAO... Just a Funny here... Amy @ Luyuan also adds a long busbar for people to have the option of making "Block Format" packs. like the example below.
1627116660952.png

Be sure to account for the two odd busbars, you'll have to fabricate them.

If you want a JBD BMS (Overkill is rebranded and tested JBD) they also make a slightly different 150 amp rated version.

Im actually thinking of not using the supplied bus bars and just getting some .125 x .750 copper bar and cutting all my own.

0.125" = 3.175mm, 0.750=19.05mm
Amy has Wide Bars @ 2mm x 20mm or narrower bars of 2mm x15mm
Doubling the wide ones = 4mm = 0.15748

Back