diy solar

diy solar

2s 25w panel makes same voltage as 1 panel?

I have had them both ways. The numbers from th SCC;
1st panel 13.6v
2nd panel 13.6
2panels in paralell 13.6
2panels series 13.6

Voltmeter says 12.96
Something is more than likely wired incorrectly.
Panel 1 positive to SCC, panel 1 negative to panel 2 positive, panel 2 negative to SCC (could be reversed 1- to SCC, 1+ to 2-, 2+ to SCC).
Is that how you have them wired in series?

Something is more than likely wired incorrectly.
Panel 1 positive to SCC, panel 1 negative to panel 2 positive, panel 2 negative to SCC (could be reversed 1- to SCC, 1+ to 2-, 2+ to SCC).
Is that how you have them wired in serie
Yes they are exactly as you described above, in that photo.

I have had them both ways. The numbers from th SCC;
1st panel 13.6v
2nd panel 13.6
2panels in paralell 13.6
2panels series 13.6

Voltmeter says 12.96
13.6v is too low from the panels under load in sunlight. Especially in series connected. I would suspect a bad connection or bad panel.

I’m guessing the black cable leads are the PV connections? The white is the home run to the SCC?

If so it’s wired correctly for a series connection. You should be able to read 40v when not connected to the SCC.

And chance you could take a picture of the panels orientation and mounting in full sun?

They can make more than 13.6 but don't seem to once hooked to the scc.

They are reading 19.97v unhooked.

Are you reading battery voltage or PV voltage on the victron unit?

What model SCC?

A PWM SCC simply connects PV panel to battery.
Can you measure current flow?
Two panels in series will deliver same voltage and same current to battery. The extra power of the second panel will be dissipated in the panels.
Two panels in parallel will deliver same voltage and twice the current to battery.

1 voltage reading In Victron 100/15

2 Series wiring to sccc

3 series wiring

4 series wiring voltage when not attached to scc

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213-073036.jpg
    Screenshot_20240213-073036.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240213_073016.jpg
    20240213_073016.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240213_072618.jpg
    20240213_072618.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240213_072642.jpg
    20240213_072642.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 12
What's going on in that photo?
It looks like you are wired in parallel then have a series connection?

Edit - not enough caffeine to digest the photo...
The white went to scc after panels. The photos are much easier to see.

Victron 100/15 is MPPT, not PWM like I thought would explain what you see.

Your DMM has 5A scale. Plug red lead into that port, set for 5A, measure current from one panel (DMM leads connected to the two PV panel leads.) repeat for the other panel.

If panel can't put out any current, that could explain what you see. MPPT loads it down, can't draw the current it wants.
Full sun, I hope?

Victron 100/15 is MPPT, not PWM like I thought would explain what you see.

Your DMM has 5A scale. Plug red lead into that port, set for 5A, measure current from one panel (DMM leads connected to the two PV panel leads.) repeat for the other panel.

If panel can't put out any current, that could explain what you see. MPPT loads it down, can't draw the current it wants.
Full sun, I hope?
No certainly not full sun. About 40% sun here in Washington State now.

Tried to measure Amps earlier but it didn't seem to have a load to pull current to as the DMM is not really a load and the scc isn't charging. I will attempt it again.

Tried to measure Amps earlier but it didn't seem to have a load to pull current to as the DMM is not really a load and the scc isn't charging. I will attempt it again.
I am not able to read any current. But if electrons aren't moving they can't be measured. Reading the proper 40v until i hook it up. It is reading 13v at the screws on the scc.

The DMM is the load.
Red wire in "5A" banana socket, black wire in "Common" socket. Dial set to 5A.
That presents a direct short.

Not using SCC or battery. Just red wire to PV panel positive, negative wire to PV panel negative.
In full sun, that should read near Isc. If 40% sun (however you determined that), 40% of Isc.

If you don't get a reasonable fraction of panel Isc rating, the panel is bad (assuming DMM works, can check with a battery and a resistor as current source.)

The DMM is the load.
Red wire in "5A" banana socket, black wire in "Common" socket. Dial set to 5A.
That presents a direct short.

Not using SCC or battery. Just red wire to PV panel positive, negative wire to PV panel negative.
In full sun, that should read near Isc. If 40% sun (however you determined that), 40% of Isc.

If you don't get a reasonable fraction of panel Isc rating, the panel is bad (assuming DMM works, can check with a battery and a resistor as current source.)
I don't have my one of my better dmms here right now. It reads 0.2A. Panel is outputting 21v to the scc it still reads 12.8v on scc.

40% was a guess, in no way scientific.

One scale is max 0.2A, but the other:

View attachment 195277

"5A max"
"Unfused"
I moved plug into 5A. It showed 0.02A
It as a $5 dmm so who knows. I trust the voltage as I have used it for voltage, continuity and ohms, I trust that these functions to be close. I am not sure that I trust the 5A measurements it gives.

So far everything you’ve tried has pointed to an issue with the panels pushing current.

Where did you order the panels from?

Do they have a junction box on the back of the panels where the cables come from? I’d open that up an see if you see any issues.

So far everything you’ve tried has pointed to an issue with the panels pushing current.

Where did you order the panels from?

Do they have a junction box on the back of the panels where the cables come from? I’d open that up an see if you see any issues.
they are from amazon. The junction boxes are attached with white adhesive of some sort. I am not taking them off.

Ill return them if i can't make them function.

What are your charge settings in the victron app?
Have you tried removing whatever is connected to the load port on the mppt?

Back