diy solar

diy solar

$3142.00 for (32) 280aH 3.2V GRADE A, Fresh Manufactured, DELIVERED by Alithor New Energy CO

I am glad that ghostwriter66 is trying out this vendor so we do not have to spend our money to find out if the vendor or the product is good or not, especially if the issue arises then we can see how they handle and solve issue.

Since I find the threads on these batteries are aluminum one must be very careful not to strip. I am happier getting a longer than needed bolt and an additional nut. I first thread the nut onto the bolt, almost all the way up. Then I loosely snug up the bolt in the threads. With the nut already on the bolt I make the tight connection by tightening the nut onto the battery without ever 'screwing' up the threads in the internal aluminum threads.

Since I find the threads on these batteries are aluminum one must be very careful not to strip. I am happier getting a longer than needed bolt and an additional nut. I first thread the nut onto the bolt, almost all the way up. Then I loosely snug up the bolt in the threads. With the nut already on the bolt I make the tight connection by tightening the nut onto the battery without ever 'screwing' up the threads in the internal aluminum threads.

Your method can still put stress on the terminal threads and cause them to strip. It's a lot less likely than using the provided screws and having no idea how many terminal threads the screw is making contact with, but still possible if you put too much force on the ntt. Your method is also difficult to use a torque wrench on the nut. Not impossible with a crow foot adapter, but difficult.

Overall, this is a better method than using the OEM screws.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are accomplishing the same thing that you could do with a stud (grub screw) and single nut. Just screw the stud in loosely. Using a stud allows you to add and remove bus bars and BMS leads as needed without removing the stud. You can also loctite the studs into the terminals to avoid any wear and tear with assembly/disassembly and to make the stud to terminal connection stronger.

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are accomplishing the same thing that you could do with a stud (grub screw) and single nut. Just screw the stud in loosely. Using a stud allows you to add and remove bus bars and BMS leads as needed without removing the stud. You can also loctite the studs into the terminals to avoid any wear and tear with assembly/disassembly and to make the stud to terminal connection stronger.

No, he's using a long bolt. To add/remove a bus bar or ring terminal, the bolt would have to come out.

No, he's using a long bolt. To add/remove a bus bar or ring terminal, the bolt would have to come out.

Galling is still going to be a problem.

You want to get malevthreads seated into those soft aluminum female threads and lock them into place as quickly as you can...

Interested as well how this turns out. I'm looking at only getting another 4 - 280ah batteries so not so many as you have lol.

I asked for a quote for 32 batteries and received a response of $5,089. Seems a little high.

1616781867076.png

Is this the same vendor?

1616782009771.png

Last edited:
After pushing back on the original quote, it was lowered to $3,379.6 or $105.61 per battery including shipping, which seems reasonable. This is the best price I've seen after checking with various vendors throughout the week.

Ghostwriter is the OP of this thread. Read the first post.

OK, my bad - I was only scrolling to the top of this page...

In any case, she seems to have abandoned this thread in favor of the new even-better deal she found today (in the other thread I linked to).

I don't think she abandoned it. She still has cells coming from the supplier she ordered from in this thread and she said she will report back when she receives the cells. Quote from other thread:

"SO - I dropped another order for (32) this morning from this company ... I will let you know -- I got 64 total coming in from 2 separate companies .. both with very low prices ... SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD was at 2948 and the other was at 3142 ..."

I don't think she abandoned it. She still has cells coming from the supplier she ordered from in this thread and she said she will report back when she receives the cells. Quote from other thread:

"SO - I dropped another order for (32) this morning from this company ... I will let you know -- I got 64 total coming in from 2 separate companies .. both with very low prices ... SHENZHEN STARMAX ENERGY TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LTD was at 2948 and the other was at 3142 ..."

Probably right. Seems like a good time to be buying cells (assuming these new suppliers deliver...).

OK, my bad - I was only scrolling to the top of this page...

In any case, she seems to have abandoned this thread in favor of the new even-better deal she found today (in the other thread I linked to).
You’ve been struggling hard with your build, man. Take a step back for a day or 2 breather. Don’t let things snowball...

You’ve been struggling hard with your build, man. Take a step back for a day or 2 breather. Don’t let things snowball...

Don’t worry, I’m taking it real slow and easy.

I’m trying one last attempt at gluing in a grubscrew with JB Weld before I abandon any hope of salvaging at M6 and either step up to M8 or try filling the hole with JB Weld and tapping a Helicoil thread into the Helicoil.

But I’ve got enough cells with grubscrews all fastened that I’ll start gearing up for my next test soon...

My goal is to have the system installed by June 1 when our Summer Peak billing rates kick in...

Back