diy solar

diy solar

4 eg4 6500

Kevcando

Just wondering if any one is running (4) Eg4 6500 and is it able to run all the loads in your house ?

Household electrical consumption varies quite a bit.

Imagine a house with
level 2 ev charger
electric water heater
electric oven
electric dryer
whole house air conditioner
electric base board heating

Household electrical consumption varies quite a bit.

Imagine a house with
level 2 ev charger
electric water heater
electric oven
electric dryer
whole house air conditioner
electric base board heating
Your right it does, I think if you could manage your consumption right you could maybe pull it off. From what I have seen most people only go with 2 units in split phase just to power a couple of things.

Just wondering if any one is running (4) Eg4 6500 and is it able to run all the loads in your house ?
Did you get your system set up? How did you connect 4 inverters to you panel? Im doing this now

Yes I have it up and running still working out little bugs though and need to get more solar panels to handle the load we use everyday.

Attachments

• 1680521767294735320096688142245.jpg
    1680521767294735320096688142245.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1680521794164191838782169858548.jpg
    1680521794164191838782169858548.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 16805218231926765022192875279686.jpg
    16805218231926765022192875279686.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 29
When you connect your 4 inverters into the sub panel did you use 2- 60amp double pole breakers for each line coming from the inverters? Does it mater which inverter line goes where on those breakers?

Yes used 2, 60 amp double pole Breakers. the breaker box which is in between the two inverters is the outputs of the inverters.
Yes you definitely want to keep your L1 and L2 the same into your inverters and out of your inverters. I used black/ red tape to keep them straight.

Attachments

• 168052465395457204295966182830.jpg
    168052465395457204295966182830.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 18
That box in the picture
Yes used 2, 60 amp double pole Breakers. the breaker box which is in between the two inverters is the outputs of the inverters.
Yes you definitely want to keep your L1 and L2 the same into your inverters and out of your inverters. I used black/ red tape to keep them straight.
That box has 4 inputs then 2 outputs to the big panel?

It may be best that you hire someone locally to assist you.
Lol ive been on solar for 4 years and installed it all myself. I think im more than capable and understand the basics of home electrical. In my mind i guess what needs to happen is feeding a sub-panel from the main panel to feed 4-60amp breakers, but in reverse. Now I'll have 4-60amp breakers feeding the main panel. Correct?
For me its just easier to comprehend visually.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403_102825_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403_102825_Samsung Notes.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 12
This doesn’t appear to be correct. Have been completely off grid for 4 years? I only ask because the graph you’ve drawn looks to include a grid panel. If that is your main, then it would go through the inveters to the sub panel. 2x60 amp double pole breakers.

This doesn’t appear to be correct. Have been completely off grid for 4 years? I only ask because the graph you’ve drawn looks to include a grid panel. If that is your main, then it would go through the inveters to the sub panel. 2x60 amp double pole breakers.
I have not been completely off grid. I installed a sub-panel that has all my 120v circuits in it.( 120v on both legs) Running off a 12k inverter. I installed a 100amp breaker to feed my main panel but Ive only been able to choose what 240v circuit i want to run (one at a time). That's way too much work for anyone else in the house to try and do. And dangerous. Now, i have 50 pv panels, and 4 - eg4 6500ex inverters and want to feed my main panel and feed my sub-panel out of it. Then ill be completely off grid. And only use grid power if i need to charge batteries because of lack of sun for too many days. Then they only need to use a transfer switch
Here's my sub panel

Attachments

• 20230403_104529.jpg
    20230403_104529.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I have not been completely off grid. I installed a sub-panel that has all my 120v circuits in it.( 120v on both legs) Running off a 12k inverter. Ive only been able to choose what 240v circuit i want to run (one at a time). Now, i have 50 pv panels, and 4 - eg4 6500ex inverters and want to feed my main panel and feed my sub-panel out of it. Then ill be completely off grid.
Here's my sub panel
So you don’t plan on using grid for bypass or as a back up?

@Gavin Stone I'll install a transfer switch so anyone at home can safely switch if needed to. I only have 15- eg4 batteries right now and will purchase 3 more. I dont think that will get me more than 4 days with no pv input

@Gavin Stone I'll install a transfer switch so anyone at home can safely switch if needed to. I only have 15- eg4 batteries right now and will purchase 3 more. I dont think that will get me more than 4 days with no pv input
I realize you’ve had solar before some some of this may be preaching to the choir. Typically you’d install what is referred to as a critical loads panel. The inveters have their own internal ATS. You’d feed the inveters from your main panel then they freed the critical loads panel. In the event your batteries run low the grid would automatically bypass through your inverters.

In your case it seems as if you’re wanting to make your main the critical loads panel. Since you already have a small sub panel, I would enlarge it with the appropriate wire. And run whatever loads you want to be off solar to that.

When you have 2 inverters in a split phase pair, one output would go to one side of a double pole breaker and the other output would go to the other side of the double pole breaker. That way if there's a problem on one leg, the output breaker for both inverters is tripped.

Your image above is incorrect.

When you add another pair of inverters (taking your total up to 4), you're increasing your available capacity to each phase/leg of your system, going from 6.5kw to 13kw on each leg.

You do need to pay attention to how you wire things up. You need to make sure both inverters that are on leg 1 (one from each pair) are on the same leg in your combiner panel and same w/ leg 2.

Hoping this rough drawing helps a little. I'm not saying it has to be wired up exactly this way, I'm just trying to illustrate that you need to keep the inverters on the proper phase.

1680534693169.png

I realize you’ve had solar before some some of this may be preaching to the choir. Typically you’d install what is referred to as a critical loads panel. The inveters have their own internal ATS. You’d feed the inveters from your main panel then they freed the critical loads panel. In the event your batteries run low the grid would automatically bypass through your inverters.

In your case it seems as if you’re wanting to make your main the critical loads panel. Since you already have a small sub panel, I would enlarge it with the appropriate wire. And run whatever loads you want to be off solar to that.
I think when most of us start this journey we are thinking small and what we can afford at the time. My little sub panel was my critical loads panel. And when the power went out and i needed stove, dryer, hot water heater id use it one at a time feedind back to the main panel. ( main breaker off of course) the only thing left in my main panel is my 240v stuff shop, hot water heater, stove, dryer.
Now that some years have passed and ive saved some money and they have started the whole rolling blackouts, id like to connect everything to solar and keep grid for backup.
If grid is out and i need to charge batteries i bought the eg4 100amp charger and could charge with my generator. Its very cheap to pay the minimum grid connection fee ($18.00)a month.
I know i need to change a few things around. I just need to make sure how to connect the 4 inverters up to feed everything.

When you have 2 inverters in a split phase pair, one output would go to one side of a double pole breaker and the other output would go to the other side of the double pole breaker. That way if there's a problem on one leg, the output breaker for both inverters is tripped.

Your image above is incorrect.

When you add another pair of inverters (taking your total up to 4), you're increasing your available capacity to each phase/leg of your system, going from 6.5kw to 13kw on each leg.

You do need to pay attention to how you wire things up. You need to make sure both inverters that are on leg 1 (one from each pair) are on the same leg in your combiner panel and same w/ leg 2.

Hoping this rough drawing helps a little. I'm not saying it has to be wired up exactly this way, I'm just trying to illustrate that you need to keep the inverters on the proper phase.

View attachment 142721
BOOM that's what i need to know! ??

I think when most of us start this journey we are thinking small and what we can afford at the time. My little sub panel was my critical loads panel. And when the power went out and i needed stove, dryer, hot water heater id use it one at a time feedind back to the main panel. ( main breaker off of course) the only thing left in my main panel is my 240v stuff shop, hot water heater, stove, dryer.
Now that some years have passed and ive saved some money and they have started the whole rolling blackouts, id like to connect everything to solar and keep grid for backup.
If grid is out and i need to charge batteries i bought the eg4 100amp charger and could charge with my generator. Its very cheap to pay the minimum grid connection fee ($18.00)a month.
I know i need to change a few things around. I just need to make sure how to connect the 4 inverters up to feed everything.
Because the poles stagger in the panels make sure i keep them on the correct bus.

Back