diy solar

diy solar

4 new Himassi Lifepo smart bluetooth 12v100ah batteries and testing - simple observations.

I purchased 4 of these batteries last week- expect to receive them on Tuesday. Seeing that they replaced one for you so quickly is really nice to see. I am using these to replace the sealed lead acid in my Ryobi zero turn lawn mower. They were basically the same price as the SLA. My concern now finding a 48 volt charger for them.
Not sure your knowledge level will try to cover it in one post. Feel fre to ask questions I am no guru with solar and these lifepo are new to me.

This is what I bought - in the picture no longer available sold out. It supposedly puts out 48volts at 13 amps. It will be my back up charger for my 48 volt battery set. My primary charger will be the MPP 3048 all in one solar inverter system. Some ppl call them AIO. Several versions available. Most ppl are real helpful and knowledgable here.

You could get an all in one inverter then have your lawn mower setup as an emergency back up power supply too. Your lawn mower and or EV could serve dual purpose. In bad times you most likely won't need to worry about mowing your grass. From what understand this battery bms restricts charging to a max of 50 amps. An all in one inverter might be a good choice you will have to setup a resistor to charge the - inverter system every time connect. Get a couple of solar panel and you are off to the races. Most ppl only think of ev as charging them to drive. They - EV are also huge rolling battery storage. I'm really not sure why ppl don't look at EV and such as a rolling power supply.

You might be able to get an mppt and solar panels to recharge.... if you don't want or need an inverter. Most good mppt are expensive. And again the battery if read it right is limited to 50amp charge.

This MPPT would require throttling back on charging current to 50 amp or less. Setting solar panels up no more the 150 v open circuit.

Or just look for a dedicated lifepo 48 volt charger 120 volt ac charger .... the lower amps like mine means it is going to take longer to recharge.
Nominal 48v x charger 13a = 624watts

Nominal 48 volt battery set x100amp = 4800 watts so you can see it will take a while.at around 4800w / 624w = ~ 7.7 hours.to charge using nominal.

Given the battery info statement of 1280watts per battery means 1280w x4=5120 watts so
5120w/100a = 51.2 volts.
51.2volts x my charger 13a = 665w
5120w / 665w =~7.7 hours with my charger.

Check my math using ohms law. But basically with my charger you at 120vac and 13 amp will take around 7.5 plus hours.

Be aware this is nominal voltages.in one vs. the charge voltages will be much higher..... as will the watts output and that is why showed them. 48 volt batteries usually reported as needing around 57 volts to charge. Recommended charge voltages are 14.2-14.6 volts per battery ..... with these. Picture chart included per Himassi.

If you go with mppt solar charger just don't hit it with over 50 amps charge as built in bms will most likely shut you down. Again it is set at 50amps per battery with these. Personally high charging rates make me nervous.

Look around the forums and ask questions.

Attachments

• 2C26F574-D905-42EF-87C9-5749FEF77AF4.jpeg
    2C26F574-D905-42EF-87C9-5749FEF77AF4.jpeg
    570.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 9CA8022D-54D1-4AB2-858C-4C49857BE5AC.jpeg
    9CA8022D-54D1-4AB2-858C-4C49857BE5AC.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 982C1DAC-AB23-4CBF-B5D2-A7153DF6F159.jpeg
    982C1DAC-AB23-4CBF-B5D2-A7153DF6F159.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 6
  • 43470F1A-DE01-4584-B65E-666BECDC345D.jpeg
    43470F1A-DE01-4584-B65E-666BECDC345D.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I purchased 4 of these batteries last week- expect to receive them on Tuesday. Seeing that they replaced one for you so quickly is really nice to see. I am using these to replace the sealed lead acid in my Ryobi zero turn lawn mower. They were basically the same price as the SLA. My concern now finding a 48 volt charger for them.
Almost forgot the batteries will arrive if like mine at a 0% State Of Charge 0% SOC. Himassi recommends charging the batteries individually then tying them parallel for 12 volt hours to let them normalize the cell voltages then tying them 48 volt series. The instructions are printed on the side of the batteries. I charged my batteries with a smart automotive 12v charger took around 6 hours or so at around 16 amp input per battery. The bms should control it and stop the charging. If you have 12 volt charger with current reading can watch the amps draw down towards end of charge cycle - bms is kicking in. Mine did and when charged 100% SOC the charger popped to float mode at which point I disconnected it.
I kept an eye on them. The blue tooth feature comes in handy checking on batteries too

Last edited:
Cell balance even closer, main battery voltage down, and still at an indicated 99% SOC
Static: from full charge and no loads other then internal smart bt bms.
Guess will hook up in series and apply load as voltages are not the only metric.
I bought 4 of these. And they all came at 0% SOC i charged up individually and put in parallel charged up in parallel again and left to reset. What i realise id that after they are charged over 13.7 the delta goes way off. They were deviations of over 300. They do lose 1% while balancing but it stays at 99% SOC i left mine for around 24 hours and the delta was still not good. Seems yours took around 4 days to come down to 0.003? Correct me if i. Mistaken.

I bought 4 of these. And they all came at 0% SOC i charged up individually and put in parallel charged up in parallel again and left to reset. What i realise id that after they are charged over 13.7 the delta goes way off. They were deviations of over 300. They do lose 1% while balancing but it stays at 99% SOC i left mine for around 24 hours and the delta was still not good. Seems yours took around 4 days to come down to 0.003? Correct me if i. Mistaken.
it takes a while. I recharged once again while in parallel too.

If we follow himassi instructions not sure what would happen. Have have to wait for my cable ends to come in ... the ones ordered were right but sent the wrong ones. Didn't notice until opened package. Hopefully tomorrow will tie them 48 volts series. :(

Attachments

• 9649ACB2-8340-4736-A641-2653DD416922.jpeg
    9649ACB2-8340-4736-A641-2653DD416922.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 3
it takes a while. I recharged once again while in parallel too.

If we follow himassi instructions not sure what would happen. Have have to wait for my cable ends to come in ... the ones ordered were right but sent the wrong ones. Didn't notice until opened package. Hopefully tomorrow will tie them 48 volts series. :(
I followed those instructions eventho the delta did come down significantly after 24 hours it was still above acceptable range. I have mine in 2s2p configuration.
Once there is a that drops the voltage below 13.7v all the delta becomes balanced with the delta at around 0.003 give or take. And the same for when the battery is charging. Its only above 13.7v at rest the delta is high. I didnt notice if the delta is low at charge or discharge when the battery is up to 14v and above

Get a 24v or 48v battery balancer depending on what you're running. These 12v batteries with individual BMS's aren't going to stay in sync in series, it just ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: D71
This is the current setup.

Attachments

• 20230219_104121.jpg
    20230219_104121.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 9
I've got a couple different brands of 12v lifepo4 batteries at the moment, with bluetooth monitoring on them, including himassi. So far none of them seem to have internally balanced, properly matched cells.

I've just resigned myself to expect individual batteries to turn off charging internally at various times due to cell overages. It's what I get for not building my own and carefully matching cells or going with a high quality lifepo4 battery brand with active balancing instead of passive balancing internally.

Cool .... pic ? Basically I am putting them in this roll around cabinet with AIO 3048 mounted outside. The cabinet was a real pita to assemble.

not sure how you plan to store them but looked at this too.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Kobalt-28-in-2-Door-Base-Cabinet/5000045523
Yep that is really nice setup. I can see the work being put in.
I will be mounting mine on a wall. The current setup was just to test and see as this is my forst solar setup. Maybe that balancer that cs123 suggested is what inwill have to go for.

The link u
Yep that is really nice setup. I can see the work being put in.
I will be mounting mine on a wall. The current setup was just to test and see as this is my forst solar setup. Maybe that balancer that cs123 suggested is what inwill have to go for.
Isnt opening. Maybe i could find something like that but i live in jamaica so no lowes here. But i dont plan on moving mine around so ill just have it all mounted on the wall and build a shelf on the wall for the battries.

I see a lot for 48v but not 24v only one thats for a 2 12v battery
The manual for it on the product listing says you can hook up anywhere between 1-4 batteries and it will still work to balance the batteries that are hooked up, just make sure not to short out the unused connectors.

I've got a couple different brands of 12v lifepo4 batteries at the moment, with bluetooth monitoring on them, including himassi. So far none of them seem to have internally balanced, properly matched cells.

I've just resigned myself to expect individual batteries to turn off charging internally at various times due to cell overages. It's what I get for not building my own and carefully matching cells or going with a high quality lifepo4 battery brand with active balancing instead of passive balancing internally.
When bought mine they are for back up power only... with my inverter. Price per watt with heaters and bt was my temptation. I almost went eg4 48v rack battery but with shipping about 2x the cost of these 4 himassi. I spent more for my 4 each 390w bifacial - new panels and 2 each 325w used panels. the 2 each used 325 watt panels are for a solar pool pump. The used panels tested around ~300w each in good sunlight. Hopefully they will run the pool pump if not will use 2 of the 390 new bifacial panels.

definitely let us know how that balancer works.....

I have been wondering what happens when in series and a heater kicks in for cold temps. I read charging is suspended until inside battery temp hits 50 degrees. in series if one bms cuts out then think all 48v charging is over. So that has been my concern-wondering if all the heaters will kick in around same time and how all 4 bms will play together in series.

Attachments

• B33F5B6E-5995-43F9-B89C-4AEC4E48A390.jpeg
    B33F5B6E-5995-43F9-B89C-4AEC4E48A390.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 6
The manual for it on the product listing says you can hook up anywhere between 1-4 batteries and it will still work to balance the batteries that are hooked up, just make sure not to short out the unused connectors.
Did u get the balancer

Did u get the balancer

I did. I'm currently running it on a 24v system (despite it being a 48v balancer). It works like they said it would in that you can connect up as many of the four pairs of wires as you want and it will work for 24v, 36v or 48v systems.

It seems to read the battery voltages accurately, or it at least matches what the internal BMS says the voltage is. Unfortunately, my batteries (being lifepo4) weren't far enough apart in voltage / soc at the moment to be able to measure any significant amperage across the lines from the balancer. By the time I had received the package today, the batteries were within .1 volt of each other. I'll keep an eye on it and update if I can actually see it doing anything significant, more than the .1 to .3 amps I saw today.

I did. I'm currently running it on a 24v system (despite it being a 48v balancer). It works like they said it would in that you can connect up as many of the four pairs of wires as you want and it will work for 24v, 36v or 48v systems.

It seems to read the battery voltages accurately, or it at least matches what the internal BMS says the voltage is. Unfortunately, my batteries (being lifepo4) weren't far enough apart in voltage / soc at the moment to be able to measure any significant amperage across the lines from the balancer. By the time I had received the package today, the batteries were within .1 volt of each other. I'll keep an eye on it and update if I can actually see it doing anything significant, more than the .1 to .3 amps I saw today.
All mine are within the same range as you describe. Still waiting on my lugs tie them together in series. Suppose to be tomorrow now

if when you do a discharge and recharge let us know if you don't mind. Am curious how that will work

Back