diy solar

diy solar

4 new Himassi Lifepo smart bluetooth 12v100ah batteries and testing - simple observations.

I did. I'm currently running it on a 24v system (despite it being a 48v balancer). It works like they said it would in that you can connect up as many of the four pairs of wires as you want and it will work for 24v, 36v or 48v systems.

It seems to read the battery voltages accurately, or it at least matches what the internal BMS says the voltage is. Unfortunately, my batteries (being lifepo4) weren't far enough apart in voltage / soc at the moment to be able to measure any significant amperage across the lines from the balancer. By the time I had received the package today, the batteries were within .1 volt of each other. I'll keep an eye on it and update if I can actually see it doing anything significant, more than the .1 to .3 amps I saw today.
What was ur SOC at the time of testing?
Were uou charging and or pulling any loads?
If u were charging or pulling a load and ur below 13.7 it will show balanced if its anything like mine even if they are at different SOC but once u go over 13.8v u well start to see delta go up. Even at rest over 13.7

I really never understood the price gouging on the Himassi 48 volt battery at almost $500-$600 more then 4 single Himassi batteries. 3 less bms in it?
None the less think would prefer 1 bms vs 4 bms controlling the show.

Do either of you know if there is anyway to tell if these cells in these himassi batteries are new or used WITHOUT opening it?

Honestly don't see the deal behind single cell home made lifepo battery packs. You are not suppose to replace old cells with new cells aka mix match in event one goes bad. Cells are suppose to be matched. Access to the bms is maybe easier... Right? What is the lure to build your own? If need be and these are new why not open them up in event something goes wrong with a bms save the cells? What am I missing?

I really never understood the price gouging on the Himassi 48 volt battery at almost $500-$600 more then 4 single Himassi batteries. 3 less bms in it?
None the less think would prefer 1 bms vs 4 bms controlling the show.

Do either of you know if there is anyway to tell if these cells in these himassi batteries are new or used WITHOUT opening it?

Honestly don't see the deal behind single cell home made lifepo battery packs. You are not suppose to replace old cells with new cells aka mix match in event one goes bad. Cells are suppose to be matched. Access to the bms is maybe easier... Right? What is the lure to build your own? If need be and these are new why not open them up in event something goes wrong with a bms save the cells? What am I missing?
I dont think there is a way to tell without disassembling them as the come saying 1 or 2 cycles which is just programed in the bms so u honestly cant tell be software. They say its grade A cells and these are chinese made so they will say whatever they feel like so until someone does a teardown i dnt think we are gonna know and im not ripping $249 apart to find out if they new or used.

Reactions: D71
I dont think there is a way to tell without disassembling them as the come saying 1 or 2 cycles which is just programed in the bms so u honestly cant tell be software. They say its grade A cells and these are chinese made so they will say whatever they feel like so until someone does a teardown i dnt think we are gonna know and im not ripping $249 apart to find out if they new or used.
Me either for the rip apart and that might not show anything either. I just don't get ppl wanting to build their own battery. These were dirt cheap.... per the features. I hate having to trust we are getting what we got based on their advertising. The 5000+ reference if used is more then likely a lie. These chinese companies also come and go real quick is my observation So warranty on anything from them is toilet paper after a period of time. Ppl often say got a warranty I say so what based on the company still being in business later. ??

Himassi never answered my email when asking why such a difference between pricing for their 48 volt battery... granted the 48volt is not a smart bms or features rich like these. The BT is my favorite feature plus if it works like need saved half the cost of eg4 48 volt server rack with shipping. So.....

btw we tried equalizers on locomotives lead acid batteries.... years ago. They drag the juice down too. Parasite feed going on. Just be aware they are also another source to cause a fire. Or they were then. Batteries for locomotives were very expensive and we were trying find cheap ways get the most out of them. We wanted them to last 10 years as a minimum. Locomotive 64vdc get a lot of drain on them with engines shut down lot of systems running. We installed auto battery savers.. then problem became zapping locomotive system computers - smart panels when kicked back in.
Lifepo is new to me but am a fast learner.

I almost went with the silicate batteries from watts24/7. Shipping was crazy high weight - heavy monsters.

I ordered one of the powmr balancers last night but because im in jamaica i might not be getting it untill so eti e next week so will be awhile before i can test but the reviews seem to be good and 4.5 stars from almost 300 persons so i hope ita worth it.

I ordered one of the powmr balancers last night but because im in jamaica i might not be getting it untill so eti e next week so will be awhile before i can test but the reviews seem to be good and 4.5 stars from almost 300 persons so i hope ita worth it.
I read a bunch of good reviews on it

I remember email himassi and asking them something about they battery and they did reply very quickly but i have emailed them again since i setup the battries and i havent gotten any replies so im not sure why that is.

I remember email himassi and asking them something about they battery and they did reply very quickly but i have emailed them again since i setup the battries and i havent gotten any replies so im not sure why that is.
I suggest if you purchased through amazon use it to send himassi a message. It - Amazon is how I got 1 of mine replaced when bms stopped working ...

let me know how that PowMr balancer works have read their mppt works rather well. Check your equalizer for heat generated when balancing. Just a word of advice. My favorite forum here is "up in smoke" learn a lot from other ppl's mistakes.

I suggest if you purchased through amazon use it to send himassi a message. It - Amazon is how I got 1 of mine replaced when bms stopped working ...

let me know how that PowMr balancer works have read their mppt works rather well. Check your equalizer for heat generated when balancing. Just a word of advice. My favorite forum here is "up in smoke" learn a lot from other ppl's mistakes.

It wasnt purchased from my account so u cant message th3m thru amazon. Yea ill definitely let u know how the balancer works when i get it and i will monitor the temp .

Reactions: D71
I did. I'm currently running it on a 24v system (despite it being a 48v balancer). It works like they said it would in that you can connect up as many of the four pairs of wires as you want and it will work for 24v, 36v or 48v systems.

It seems to read the battery voltages accurately, or it at least matches what the internal BMS says the voltage is. Unfortunately, my batteries (being lifepo4) weren't far enough apart in voltage / soc at the moment to be able to measure any significant amperage across the lines from the balancer. By the time I had received the package today, the batteries were within .1 volt of each other. I'll keep an eye on it and update if I can actually see it doing anything significant, more than the .1 to .3 amps I saw today.
Have u been able to see the balancer in work yet?

Have u been able to see the balancer in work yet?

Both of the batteries I'm testing are pretty much drained to nothing at the moment. I normally only charge them on solar, and drain them daily. Unfortunately, today was a day that I ended up with about 15-20% of the usual amount of solar, very overcast all day.

It does seem to be balancing them, but it's not very aggressive. at small voltage differences.

I briefly hooked up a 10 amp charger to one of my empty inputs on the balancer (I'm only using 2 of the balance pairs). It then worked much more aggressively distributing the charge between the two real batteries. The batteries were around 12.4v and 12.5v each and the charger was charging at 14.6v. It distributed the amps relatively evenly between the two batteries.

I'll watch it more on solar if the sun ever comes out again, but I don't charge them on AC normally, only for the briefest of testing.

Both of the batteries I'm testing are pretty much drained to nothing at the moment. I normally only charge them on solar, and drain them daily. Unfortunately, today was a day that I ended up with about 15-20% of the usual amount of solar, very overcast all day.

It does seem to be balancing them, but it's not very aggressive. at small voltage differences.

I briefly hooked up a 10 amp charger to one of my empty inputs on the balancer (I'm only using 2 of the balance pairs). It then worked much more aggressively distributing the charge between the two real batteries. The batteries were around 12.4v and 12.5v each and the charger was charging at 14.6v. It distributed the amps relatively evenly between the two batteries.

I'll watch it more on solar if the sun ever comes out again, but I don't charge them on AC normally, only for the briefest of testing.
So u connecyed the charger to the balancer and not to the battries?

So u connecyed the charger to the balancer and not to the battries?

Yes, it's a 12v charger, and the batteries are in 24v series. I wanted to see what the balancer would do with it hooked up to one of the balancer leads, as though it was another really charged up battery. It did what I hoped it would do, it took the amperage and balanced it.. (y)

Yes, it's a 12v charger, and the batteries are in 24v series. I wanted to see what the balancer would do with it hooked up to one of the balancer leads, as though it was another really charged up battery. It did what I hoped it would do, it took the amperage and balanced it.. (y)
Ok thats good to know. So it should work the same with the 24v thanks for that testing. I have a AC charger 15 amp it charges both 12 and 24v. I hope to get my balancer quickly. Did u check on the delta voltage while it was balancing?

Ok thats good to know. So it should work the same with the 24v thanks for that testing. I have a AC charger 15 amp it charges both 12 and 24v. I hope to get my balancer quickly. Did u check on the delta voltage while it was balancing?

The balancer I got was the one that shows the voltage of the batteries that are connected on leds on the balancer. I didn't calculate the delta, but I was able to see the voltages change on the balancer when the charger was hooked up. The batteries certainly started increasing in voltage with the charger on of the balancer leads. I didn't verify the voltages myself other than reading what it showed on the balancer, but they were inline with what I expected them to be based on the charger and the bluetooth voltage readings on each battery when I checked them before turning on the charger.

The amps were measured correctly according to my clamp meter and seemed to be a proportional split based on each batteries voltage and the chargers amps. It was sending a bit more of amperage to the battery with the slightly lower voltage, but it was only .1v lower than the other battery, so it was a pretty close number. Both batteries were at a MUCH lower voltage than the charger though, 12.5v or so compared to 14.6v.

It seems to work, and is keeping the two batteries in series within .1v of each other, where as before I saw it as bad .5v to 1v difference. Time will tell though. I'm not ready to fully recommend it yet.

The balancer I got was the one that shows the voltage of the batteries that are connected on leds on the balancer. I didn't calculate the delta, but I was able to see the voltages change on the balancer when the charger was hooked up. The batteries certainly started increasing in voltage with the charger on of the balancer leads. I didn't verify the voltages myself other than reading what it showed on the balancer, but they were inline with what I expected them to be based on the charger and the bluetooth voltage readings on each battery when I checked them before turning on the charger.

The amps were measured correctly according to my clamp meter and seemed to be a proportional split based on each batteries voltage and the chargers amps. It was sending a bit more of amperage to the battery with the slightly lower voltage, but it was only .1v lower than the other battery, so it was a pretty close number. Both batteries were at a MUCH lower voltage than the charger though, 12.5v or so compared to 14.6v.

It seems to work, and is keeping the two batteries in series within .1v of each other, where as before I saw it as bad .5v to 1v difference. Time will tell though. I'm not ready to fully recommend it yet.
Is it getting any hot spots or heating up much?

Is it getting any hot spots or heating up much?
It's warm enough that you know it is using some power, but not hot to the touch so far. I'll try to take a look at it with my thermal camera and see if it's got anything visibly concerning going on.

It does have a high frequency noise that comes out of it. I've got it in my garage, so I don't care. I would be annoyed if I were sitting next to it.

It's warm enough that you know it is using some power, but not hot to the touch so far. I'll try to take a look at it with my thermal camera and see if it's got anything visibly concerning going on.

It does have a high frequency noise that comes out of it. I've got it in my garage, so I don't care. I would be annoyed if I were sitting next to it.
I read about the high pitched squeal...hum. Just making sure it is not getting to hot on you.

Do you know how much current it was flowing? Could you see it with the bt bms program?
Did the measured match
When you first open battery EE-BMS app shows it for amps.

Under the "Details" of the EE-BMS app it will show "Real Capacity" in mAh

Anymore info on the balancing or balancer itself?

Back