diy solar

diy solar

50 amp OTG Victron / Battleborn set up on a 45 foot Toy Hauler

How exactly are you going to run a trailer designed to have an electrical input of 240 v at 50 amps off of an inverter that puts out 120v and 20 amps? You can't pick the inverter first and build around it. You need to know the power requirements and work backwards.

How exactly are you going to run a trailer designed to have an electrical input of 240 v at 50 amps off of an inverter that puts out 120v and 20 amps? You can't pick the inverter first and build around it. You need to know the power requirements and work backwards.
I'm not....

Victron Multiplus II 24V/5000W/ 120Vx2 @50A Pass Through Inverter Charger.

But alas, it Looks Like I'm going to use TWO Multiplus II 24V/3000W /120Vx2@50A Pass Through Inverters Chargers. (6000Watts Total)
My three air conditioners are around 1600 watts each. If I want to run all three, thats 1600Wx3 = 4800 Watts. A Little too close for comfort for one 24V 5000W single Multiplus II 120Vx2, in which I'm not even sure it's available for the USA electrical standard at all. Hell, even 6000W might cut it too close and I wish I could go with two MPII 5000's. That would negate 10,000 watts / 10KW and be perfect if such a thing was available.

Last edited:
:oops:
:rolleyes:
:censored:

Don't say it Jennifer, you told Will that you'd be nice.

I'm not....

Victron Multiplus II 24V/5000W/ 120Vx2 @50A Pass Through Inverter Charger.

But alas, it Looks Like I'm going to use TWO Multiplus II 24V/3000W /120Vx2@50A Pass Through Inverters Chargers. (6000Watts Total)
My three air conditioners are around 1600 watts each. If I want to run all three, thats 1600Wx3 = 4800 Watts. A Little to close for comfort on the 24V 5000W single Multiplus II 120Vx2. Hell, even 6000W might cut it too close and I may go with 2 5000's.
The data sheet you linked to is for the European 230V (input) Multiplus II - that's why you are getting grief on your selection.

1679089131927.png

If you want a more powerful Inverter/Charger - 5000W, you will need to go to a Quattro: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Quattro-3-10kVA-120V-EN-.pdf

But for the price of a 5K Quattro ($2909), you can get two 3000 W Multiplus II 24V/120x2

The data sheet you linked to is for the European 230V (input) Multiplus II - that's why you are getting grief on your selection.

View attachment 140046

If you want a more powerful Inverter/Charger - 5000W, you will need to go to a Quattro: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Quattro-3-10kVA-120V-EN-.pdf

But for the price of a 5K Quattro ($2909), you can get two 3000 W Multiplus II 24V/120x2
So, there aren't any 24V/5000 120x2 Multiplus II's available yet for USA electrical standard....?

Last edited:
Are the 24V/5000 120x2 Multiplus II's available for sale yet....?
Based on the Victron site & literature, there is no "US" Multiplus II in a 5000W configuration - only in a 3000W size. The 5000W MultiPlus II is only available in Europe where 230V AC is the standard grid delivery voltage.

WOW! up to 3 units in 3 Phase.....This could get very elaborate really fast.

A 3 Phase 24 volt system would be too complicated for this application I think....
SO, it looks like I've finally reached the Limit for me and my decked out Toy Hauler for the Victron Componentry, and that Max is is going to be set at 6000 Watts, a.k.a. Two 24V/ 3000W/ 120x2 50A Multiplus II Inverter Chargers. Now I can configure a system based on this max limit of Current Technology (no pun intended) for Victron Solar on an RV, and work backwards from there. With Powershare from the Batteries and Solar, I "should" be able to run 3 soft started air conditioners and everything else most of the time.

Last edited:
More Refinement....
Since two Victron inverter chargers will be used, the Multiplus II with Pass Through is now not needed,
as each leg will have its' own Inverter / Charger.
Hello, Quattro's...!!!
Twin 24 Volt 5000's more like it. Now it's all finally coming into focus. I can try to squeeze 12-14 200W panels on the roof to 2 Victron MPPT 150/100's, Lynx, Cerbo GX Touch 70, Smart Shunt, multiple 24-12 DC to DC converter chargers, four 270AH Battleborn Game Changers, Buck Boost, Surge Protection, Autotransformer, etc.
And even this wont handle 3 air conditioners for longer than 3-5 hours. I'll be happy if I can have two of them working at the same time.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Three Air Conditioners may not be a problem....

THE POWER OF OMNI-CHILL​

Unlike any other A/C system on the market, Keystone RV Company’s™ EXCLUSIVE Omni-Chill® air conditioning system allows three air conditioning units to run simultaneously, allowing the RV unit 35% more cooling power. While many campers feature three A/Cs, without Omni-Chill, only two A/Cs can operate at any given time. Not only do these high-efficiency air conditioners blow standard A/Cs away, lab testing proves that Omi-Chill can get a fifth wheel toy hauler a full 8 degrees cooler than conventional systems.

Historically, the problem has been this: running two standard A/Cs takes about 20 AMPs each, and the standard RV allows for 50 total AMPS of draw. Even with two A/Cs running at the same time, it is difficult to power anything else without possibly blowing a fuse. With Omni-Chill, Keystone RV created a system that consumes less energy, allowing all three A/Cs to run at about 32 AMPs total, leaving plenty of power for your other appliances and devices.

Not only is Omni-Chill a pretty “cool” set of A/Cs, it’s an entire high-efficiency system. Available on Keystone's Key Performance toy hauler brands, Raptor and Fuzion, the A/Cs are strategically placed (two in the main living area and one in the garage), creating a balanced circulation. What's more is that Key Performance toy haulers are the only brands with a 100% vapor barrier between the garage and main cabin. That means the gas and fumes from “toys” cannot get inside the duct work and filter into the main cabin.

The heat of the outdoors is no match for this triple-team of powerful A/Cs. Let Omni-Chill change the course of your future adventures—camp often, camp comfortable, and stay cool my friends.

Last edited:
Historically, the problem has been this: running two standard A/Cs takes about 20 AMPs each, and the standard RV allows for 50 total AMPS of draw. Even with two A/Cs running at the same time, it is difficult to power anything else without possibly blowing a fuse.
50a trailers, and that's typical with 2 or more aircon units, is 50a per leg, not 50a total. The trailer is 100a in a split phase with a total of 12,000w available.

50a trailers, and that's typical with 2 or more aircon units, is 50a per leg, not 50a total. The trailer is 100a in a split phase with a total of 12,000w available.
Bottom line of the point of the post.... Three Air Conditioners running at the same time for a combined 32 Amps Total.
(Not 55-60 Amps)
Point being, 3 "normal" RV air conditioners would drain the largest RV Solar & Battery System inside of 3-4 hours, whereas the Omni-Chill System Technology on Keystone TH's are designed in efficiency as such, that it has a fighting chance not to be the case.
Real World Testing this technology on the largest and most robust Solar System I can fit on this Fuzion 429 will have to follow of course.
Alas, it gives me hope.

Last edited:
Bottom line of the point of the post.... Three Air Conditioners running at the same time for a combined 32 Amps Total.
(Not 55-60 Amps)
Point being, 3 "normal" RV air conditioners would drain the largest RV Solar & Battery System inside of 3-4 hours, whereas the Omni-Chill System Technology on Keystone TH's are designed in efficiency as such, that it has a fighting chance not to be the case.
Real World Testing this technology on the largest and most robust Solar System I can fit on this Fuzion 429 will have to follow of course.
Alas, it gives me hope.
I'm not questioning any of that. I'm not familiar with that brand AC.

I am challanging the statement that a 50a trailer is 50a total, that is incorrect, it's 100a total. This is a misconception that keeps getting repeated.

I'm not questioning any of that. I'm not familiar with that brand AC.

I am challanging the statement that a 50a trailer is 50a total, that is incorrect, it's 100a total. This is a misconception that keeps getting repeated.
I believe what they mean in that sentence, if you read it carefully, is that 2 of 3 the standard older RV AC's that they mention would have to be on the same leg at 40A, when there is only 50A total available on said leg, leaving little room for anything else to run. I'm sure Keystone knows better about electrical than you're giving them credit for, but I will state they could've been a little more definitive in their advertising.

I believe what they mean in that sentence, if you read it carefully, is that 2 of 3 the standard older RV AC's that they mention would have to be on the same leg at 40A, when there is only 50A total available on said leg, leaving little room for anything else to run. I'm sure Keystone knows better about electrical than you're giving them credit for, but I will state they could've been a little more definitive in their advertising.
Based on three different trailers, two bought new, I have serious doubts of their electrical knowledge. For example, given my current 5th wheel, they chose 6g wire from the back of the trailer to the front and back again. I have a 1.5v drop between the charger and the battery, and that was AFTER I fixed TWO dangerously bad crimps.

Back to the 50a statement, you said 50a total, which is incorrect, it's 100a total. WRT to running current on either leg, yes, it will be less than 50a. IRC the actual running amps is 43, so 40 is close enough. For running amps on BOTH legs, that's 80-86 amps total. IF the trailer is wired properly, L1 would be the larger aircon, L2 would have both of the generally smaller aircon. Where this gets interesting, all 3 aircons running, throw in microwave, and you're starting to max out. Add in the charger and elec water heater, and yes you can exceed the running amps. The higher end trailers have monitoring equipment and will shed loads to avoid tripping a breaker. I have zero issues in my 5th wheel, I can run everything the factory installed.

I have this Fuzion 429 at home now, and I am getting acquainted with it. I have it on provided 50A Shore power, water, and septic.
We have had a few days here in the high 80's, so I did two tests with Generator and Shore power, by which, I ran all three air conditioners on full blast, the tankless electric water heater, microwave, and the built-in vacuum system. Nothing tripped in either source, and I did not notice the air conditioners ever turning off their compressors. I also confirmed that the 3 air conditioners running with nothing else on was drawing 32 amps from the shore power cord. So my earlier post was based on these design attributes from Fuzion about the lower draw AC units, and I confirmed them to be true.
This will be helpful when it comes time for the robust 24 volt, 3000W Solar Panel, 800AH Battery Victron System I plan to install. I have the parts list ready, and I'm currently playing with schematic layout.

Back