diy solar

diy solar

50 amp OTG Victron / Battleborn set up on a 45 foot Toy Hauler

BrettMavriK

Greetings,
I am in the information gathering stage of assembling a 50 Amp Off The Grid Boondocking Solar System for my new 45 foot Keystone Fuzion 429 Toy Hauler.
I've spent weeks online trying to absorb all of the information I can while trying not to get steered in the wrong direction.
I am aware that this system I desire is going to come with a hefty price tag.
So far, I think I am set on going all Victron components with the exception of solar panels and batteries, in which I'm leaning toward Battleborn.
As far as Victron componentry, a rough draft would be the 50A Multiplus II Inverter, 2-150/100 MPPT's, Cerbo GX, Lynx, Smartshunt, Display, etc., with all the necessary breakers and fuses, correct wire size, 10-200w panels on the roof, and 10 battle born lithium batteries. For voltage, a 24 volt solar to 12 volt battery bank should be sufficient I believe.
Being a jack of all trades and able to install my own system, I have never delved into solar before now;
however, I do understand the principles of AC, DC, Etc.
This has led me to this thread, as I would really appreciate some feedback and assistance on this endeavor. I would need help on routing and schematic diagrams here. I keep seeing these wonderful layout diagrams depicting Victron and related componentry and how it all connects all over the place.
Is there an app or tool out there for configuring solar systems that you guys are using? Boy, that would be helpful.
So what say you...? Anyone out there care to share their expertise on designing a very robust solar system on a big toy hauler?
Thanks in advance.
'Brett

Last edited:
Your system is just a bit bigger than mine and about the same size as one of my friends.

Yes I think you are on the right path. Find whatever software you can (Google has a free one for drawing) and diagram your system. Be sure a read the owners manual on each piece, then ask questions here.

Remember you are the system engineer and need to make sure it all works together.

Also by designing your own system you will understand it! I have ran into several people on the road that had other people design and/or build their system and they just don’t understand it.

Don’t design too big of a system, you can always add another mppt SCC and string of panels or battery if you plan for them from the beginning.

Do a real system audit first, I think you may be building too big of a system- especially if you have a generator for backup.

Here are a few more thoughts:
Batteries: instead of 10 look at three of their gamechangers.
Keep the batteries the same voltage as the inverter (don’t series them).
Look into 24v and using a 24 to 12v converter (maybe with a small 12v lead battery) - (Or maybe 48v).

Good Luck!

I would also encourage and energy audit. Also consider a ducted mini split. Somewhere I have seen a video of a man who built one with the ducted unit in his basement running through the traditional ducting. He did add another duct upstairs. With good batteries and AIO inverter you can run off of your system. I personally am going with a Samlex EVO 4248sp with a DIY 300ah 48v battery to power it. I will eventually put in solar. I have a mini split for it but am still considering ducted over ductless.

why 12v battery bank? With something that big you should be looking at 24 or 48v. Watch out for temp coefficient and impact on VOC with SCC volts.

Panel placement, make sure you avoid shadows on the roof, don't put panels directly on the roof and tight up against things like aircon or vents.

Greetings,
I am in the information gathering stage of assembling a 50 Amp Off The Grid Boondocking Solar System for my new 45 foot Keystone Fuzion 429 Toy Hauler.

'Brett

Welcome to the site Brett... here are a couple links for you, 2nd one is the better of the two.. sadly there are not a lot of Fuzion videos on Youtube. I have a 43' Fuzion 414 Chrome and am all Victron, Battleborn and Tesla modules... looking forward to seeing your progress.

Jen

Carbon is similar to our Fuzion's basement wise:

2018 Fuzion install:

Thank you so much for the responses!
I did have a look at the Gamechanger batteries. I originally thought 4 Gamechangers would be needed, and now I see how three would be sufficient. This will be a cost savings of over $1600 and a weight savings of 70 lbs., and as a toy hauler, every pound of weight saved is a bonus.
The Keystone Fuzion 429 has a nice 12 volt management system, but there are big AC draws from things like a washer and dryer, six point auto-leveling hydraulic jack system, and three rooftop air conditioners, all of which requiring soft starts of course. I really don't want to reinvent the air conditioning system and I believe I can make them work with the Victron and Battleborn equipment. This Toy hauler is 44'-11" long, so it has plenty of room on the roof. I think i will keep the system as I originally stated as 24 VDC from the solar panels, 2 banks of 5 200 watt each going to their own Victron MPPT 150/100, converted to 12 volt before the Cerbo GX and to the 50 amp Multiplus II pass through inverter. What I really need help with is all the little things needed in line with the system and where they go to be optimal. Things like multi-fuses, smart-shunt breakers, shut offs, wire sizes, etc. It's the layout diagram I am in need of help on. I have a pretty good idea as to their placement, but I would really like to be sure. I am going to be reading and searching for more information in my quest. I pick up the Fuzion 429 on March 22nd in a couple weeks. Then I can really get a feel for it, see the compartments and hardware that is there. My wife and I plan to use the garage as an office, so off the grid internet like Starlink, or multi sim embedded routers for good strong data will also be pertinent as we plan to be off the grid 90% of the time. I really only want the generator to be used in an emergency if/when the solar system has a problem.
Once again, thank you for the input!

Last edited:
Start collecting links... you'll probably have the Onan QC5500 like I do.

Remember our gennies's are 2 IN PHASE lines for 45amps, not split phase so a neat trick is doubling up the individual outputs to allow full use of the gen output, here's a good video explaining it (make sure you double up the neutrals as well). Fast forward to 11:03 if the link does not for you.

Start collecting links... you'll probably have the Onan QC5500 like I do.

Remember our gennies's are 2 IN PHASE lines for 45amps, not split phase so a neat trick is doubling up the individual outputs to allow full use of the gen output, here's a good video explaining it (make sure you double up the neutrals as well). Fast forward to 11:03 if the link does not for you.

Thank you!
Okay, didn't know that, as I don't take possession of the Fuzion 429 until the 22nd of this month whereby I can really get into the specs. The lower video makes sense in that all Chad did there was combine both sides of the alternator on the Generator before the transfer switch, so the Multiplus II doesn't default into one leg of 30amp mode. Chad used some inexpensive 4 position grounding bars, but looking at the video, I sure hope he insulated those things inside the transfer switch! I would probably combine the legs a little differently with some other method of bonding at the transfer switch lug.
NSIINDE00700_WB_42_PE_002.jpg

This would probably work.
Again, thanks for the input!
'Brett

Thank you!
Okay, didn't know that, as I don't take possession of the Fuzion 429 until the 22nd of this month whereby I can really get into the specs. The lower video makes sense in that all Chad did there was combine both sides of the alternator on the Generator before the transfer switch, so the Multiplus II doesn't default into one leg of 30amp mode. Chad used some inexpensive 4 position grounding bars, but looking at the video, I sure hope he insulated those things inside the transfer switch! I would probably combine the legs a little differently with some other method of bonding at the transfer switch lug.
NSIINDE00700_WB_42_PE_002.jpg

This would probably work.
Again, thanks for the input!
'Brett
Look on his actual blog, he has an update for the bonding connection he used and a link to Amazon but read the Amazon reviews, some were having overheating issues with them and yes, you understood correctly what he was doing. ?

Look on his actual blog, he has an update for the bonding connection he used and a link to Amazon but read the Amazon reviews, some were having overheating issues with them and yes, you understood correctly what he was doing. ?
Hmm...
Don't know why it would get hot there and Chad's first idea would stay cool as it is essentially the same thing. Maybe his amazon link is made out of pot metal and has the wrong type of coating. Another way would be just to jump the connections together at the transfer switch with an arc of insulated 6 gauge wire.

Hmm...
Don't know why it would get hot there and Chad's first idea would stay cool as it is essentially the same thing. Maybe his amazon link is made out of pot metal and has the wrong type of coating. Another way would be just to jump the connections together at the transfer switch with an arc of insulated 6 gauge wire.
It wasn't getting hot from ambient air, it was getting hot from current flow/connection tightness if I recall correctly. Chad only updated his blog and recommended them, I am the one telling you to be aware of the concerns others have had re heat, read the reviews on them and see the photo below. Chad did not mention the issue at all... that's why you come here.... to speak with the REAL smarties, not just the Youtube stars. :)

1678567446025.png
1678567570072.png

1678567187770.png

Yes, like I had said, the lug connectors in question getting hot could've been made of inferior material and cheaply coated with inferior plating, thus causing resistance; hence, heat. Not all products are created equal. I have seen lug doublers like the one I had linked to being used in many high amp load configurations; One just can't skimp on quality that's all. The one I had linked earlier is rated for 600 volts , and is made out of T-6 aluminum that has been tinned.
I like the black insulated piece you have linked here. It's basically a rubber coated bus bar. Looks like it would work just fine.
That is exactly why I am here....I am invoking the Real Smarties for assistance. ;)

Last edited:
Yep, sorry, not interested in doing this at this time. I understand the amazing efficiency of mini-splits, but I'll have quite enough on my plate this year alone to get done. I'm not an air conditioning hog anyways, and where I want to roam out West is dry; further South in Winter Like Sand Diego and Baja; further North in the Summers, Like Canada and Alaska. But in certain times, maybe Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, or Montana, I may find myself using the o.e.m. air conditioners, each fitted with Soft Starts, and I believe the solar system I have planned will handle it nicely.

Yep, sorry, not interested in doing this at this time. I understand the amazing efficiency of mini-splits, but I'll have quite enough on my plate this year alone to get done. I'm not an air conditioning hog anyways, and where I want to roam out West is dry; further South in Winter Like Sand Diego and Baja; further North in the Summers, Like Canada and Alaska. But in certain times, maybe Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, or Montana, I may find myself using the o.e.m. air conditioners, each fitted with Soft Starts, and I believe the solar system I have planned will handle it nicely.
Smart man, chasing 70 degrees saves a lot of money on storage and inverters.

How many times has the TH been out? Small generator will get you out a few times and see if you need all this equipment marked on the plans.
Or are you a seasoned camper that wants to go big and get it right this time?

Smart man, chasing 70 degrees saves a lot of money on storage and inverters.
Yes, but I'm not skimping whatsoever on this system. I have a $15,000 budget on the Solar and related electrical for this Fuzion 429, and I'm going to be capable of everything OTG anywhere. That is the goal. Hell, I want bring along one of them Coleman inflatable hot tubs to sooth my bones after a long mountain bike ride or hike. :sneaky:

Back