diy solar

diy solar

6 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.

92.2% efficiency, not bad.
Screenshot_20240206-195349.jpg

95.5%
Screenshot_20240206-195604.jpg

I don't think SA reports the 100W 'idle' draw.

I think I've settled on an HYP to hold me over, I have the itch to order more power 😂

Yes, taxes.
I haven't used all the tax credit from my house system. I added one mini split this year and will get another tax credit for it. This year is another system for the shop which will be depreciated out anyway. I will be installing another mini split in the house so more tax credit. I might change out the shop air conditioning to higher SEER rated mini splits than what I'm using now. Those will get depreciated too.

I haven't used all the tax credit from my house system. I added one mini split this year and will get another tax credit for it. This year is another system for the shop which will be depreciated out anyway. I will be installing another mini split in the house so more tax credit. I might change out the shop air conditioning to higher SEER rated mini splits than what I'm using now. Those will get depreciated too.
Hmmm I hope Turbo Tax didn't do something wrong last year, I got an actual refund deposited to my account for what I claimed in 2022 solar purchases.

Hmmm I hope Turbo Tax didn't do something wrong last year, I got an actual refund deposited to my account for what I claimed in 2022 solar purchases.
If you pay in quarterly or have taxes withheld from your paycheck then you would probably get a refund. I'm self employed, pay in quarterly and can't recall if I received a refund or not. Most likely I had Social Security and Medicare taxes that were due so any refund would apply to those first. However we did pay in quarterly thru the year.

If you didn't pay anything in and received a refund, then yes, it was probably filed incorrectly. It is only a credit against income tax due.

Makes perfect sense, I've withheld extra the past few years because I was sick of paying at the end of the year. Thank you @Zwy

Reactions: Zwy
How's this? (attached). Display screen bottom right is software version. Let me know if you can't read any of my chicken scratch and I'll try to decipher.

Edit - rotated that sideways photo. Drives me crazy when people post them sideways ?.
I figured out setting 4 is dependent on the under voltage alarm setting. Setting 4 wont go higher or equal to the voltage of the undervoltage. Just incase that was still unresolved

I managed to squeeze out almost $6k in solar credit. I didn't get to claim my panels since they were used. If I had to do over again, I would have waited and bought new panels. New panels are about the same price I paid for used (and the new are higher wattage). With 30% back it would have been much better. Oh well...

Random updates.
Nothing exciting to report, everything keeps working fine. I'm approaching 2.5MWh solar and 3MWh load, winter sucked. Days are definitely getting longer. It's been 11 days since I've, realized I under estimated how shitty cloudy days are with ~37KWh battery and ~11KWh panels and, used the grid.
I'm optimistic those days are in the past.
1000000118.jpg

Ordered a small Flux Core / stick welder combo. I'm making the next ground mount out of steel, SW facing. It will be very similar to the tilting wood array.
I'm also going to make my own battery racks (unless I come across a cabinet for a good price)

As of now I'm sticking with SRNE for the next inverter/AIO purchase, likely a pair of HYPs. Lots of other nice new offerings coming but I don't see anything that competes in the price range, yet.

I'll be ordering at least 34 cells and another inverter in the next month.

Random updates.
Nothing exciting to report, everything keeps working fine. I'm approaching 2.5MWh solar and 3MWh load, winter sucked. Days are definitely getting longer. It's been 11 days since I've, realized I under estimated how shitty cloudy days are with ~37KWh battery and ~11KWh panels and, used the grid.
I'm optimistic those days are in the past.
View attachment 195109

Ordered a small Flux Core / stick welder combo. I'm making the next ground mount out of steel, SW facing. It will be very similar to the tilting wood array.
I'm also going to make my own battery racks (unless I come across a cabinet for a good price)

If you saw my recent video, I had my new Hoffman cabinet in the background. It's a beauty, 20 inches deep which will help. The Hoffman in the house was only 12 inches deep and it took some figuring to get everything to fit.

I paid $250 for it, almost lost the deal and had to drive 2 hours in blowing snow to grab it before the next guy.

As of now I'm sticking with SRNE for the next inverter/AIO purchase, likely a pair of HYPs. Lots of other nice new offerings coming but I don't see anything that competes in the price range, yet.

I'll be ordering at least 34 cells and another inverter in the next month.
I have cells ordered from Luyan, JK BMS's are here with screen. Panels are here, mounts are here and poles are here.

No decision on inverters, waiting on SRNE for the parallel units.

If you saw my recent video, I had my new Hoffman cabinet in the background. It's a beauty, 20 inches deep which will help. The Hoffman in the house was only 12 inches deep and it took some figuring to get everything to fit.

I paid $250 for it, almost lost the deal and had to drive 2 hours in blowing snow to grab it before the next guy.
That's a deal, I would have done the same thing.

I can get plenty of old control cabinets and could weld my own shelves in to it, I suppose that would be a better option than my plan of welding them up with leftover C channel and skinning them in cement board followed by insulation sheets. The channel is way overkill but I could easily pick it up with forks and lift it with the shop crane with no concerns, with the cells restrained of course.
I have cells ordered from Luyan, JK BMS's are here with screen. Panels are here, mounts are here and poles are here.
How much storage will that put you at?
I'm shooting for 100KWh by years end.

I need to contact Amy for a quote.

I think I'm going to stick with JBD's. I finally have them behaving nicely.

Hmmm I also have a pile of heavy wall galvanized pipe it various diameters... The mount I have designed in my head is dead simple with the C channel but it would be nice to use the pipe up too.
No decision on inverters, waiting on SRNE for the parallel units.
I'll email them in a couple weeks. Besides the simplicity of wiring I don't see a benefit of going with the parallel ASF upon release instead of the HYPs that a couple members are running successfully. Shouldn't be much different than wiring up the 6548s in parallel.
You should contact them about a being beta tester. I wonder if they offer that? I suppose I should check too.

That's a deal, I would have done the same thing.

I looked for some time on FB Marketplace. Craigslist is dead. Made some offers on some for $500 when they wanted $1K but they didn't take it.

I can get plenty of old control cabinets and could weld my own shelves in to it,

Bolt them in. I used rectangular tubing on the last ones with an angle iron on the end and just bolted them in. I built it all in the shop, then tore it down, painted everything then took it down to the house with the forklift. I had plywood on the bottom and one side, made the legs bolt on. We needed it as light as possible to slide down the basement steps. My wife thought I'd never get it down there,

I suppose that would be a better option than my plan of welding them up with leftover C channel and skinning them in cement board followed by insulation sheets. The channel is way overkill but I could easily pick it up with forks and lift it with the shop crane with no concerns, with the cells restrained of course.

I always look for something to adapt over, why reinvent the wheel?

How much storage will that put you at?
I'm shooting for 100KWh by years end.

I did buy 2 boxes from Amy, one is going into the basement. Both have wheels. I'll have either 84Kw or just under 100Kw in the house. Another 57Kwh in the shop. I don't need much power overnight in the shop, but cloudy days might mean more battery. The worst is summer, I looked thru usage and ran 1800Kwh in June of last year in the shop.

I'm looking to transfer PV between the house system and the shop. I can then transfer power to where I need it most, in winter I could use more in the house and less in the shop. Summer more in the shop and less in the house.

I need to contact Amy for a quote.

I think I'm going to stick with JBD's. I finally have them behaving nicely.

Hmmm I also have a pile of heavy wall galvanized pipe it various diameters... The mount I have designed in my head is dead simple with the C channel but it would be nice to use the pipe up too.

I found twice the amount of MT Solar mounts than I need on FB Marketplace. They were used, had been thru a tornado and the adjuster broke and poles bent over. These things were very tall. This was the 10 panel mount, there were 3 more 15 panel mounts. I'm cutting the rails down to 4 high instead of 5. I almost went with Sinclair but they dragged their feet on responding to emails and I just happened to look one evening on FB and found these. You can see the shed behind was damaged by the tornado, just missed the house they told me.

Panel arrangement.jpg

This was what it looked like before the tornado.

Joel solar arrays.jpg

I'll email them in a couple weeks. Besides the simplicity of wiring I don't see a benefit of going with the parallel ASF upon release instead of the HYPs that a couple members are running successfully. Shouldn't be much different than wiring up the 6548s in parallel.
You should contact them about a being beta tester. I wonder if they offer that? I suppose I should check too.
I need some load capacity and why I want something in parallel. I might be able to get by with the Solark 15K or EG418Kpv but think I'll run short under some loads and will have it use grid assist. I would prefer off grid and not hybrid.

The LV6548's work great in the house, I hardly go down to the basement unless to get some tools. I went to run wire for the sauna upstairs and ended up hitting the copper pipe in the wall for the bathroom when cutting a hole for the outlet box. First time I'd been down in the basement for weeks, really scrambled to shut the water off. :ROFLMAO:

Power is out everywhere around me in the thousands... My grid connection is still active but not being used...
IMG_20240213_064327.jpg
I like fun drives to work.

I even shoveled out in front of the ground mount before I left.

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_050603.jpg
    IMG_20240213_050603.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 6
Power is out everywhere around me in the thousands... My grid connection is still active but not being used...
View attachment 195215
I like fun drives to work.

I even shoveled out in front of the ground mount before I left.
Good thing I went to WV 2 weeks ago. Looks like winter returned there.

Balmy 50 degrees today and tomorrow. Snow is all gone. Chance of snow tomorrow night but probably rain and not that much. Snow won't last long if it does come. About 15 years ago we had a big freezing rain event in March. Wind was straight out of the east which is bad and over 35 mph. Temps were 26°F and it was rain/snow mix. Some places here didn't get power back for over 3 weeks. I lived in town then, the whole town was out for 2 weeks. It snapped off large transmission line poles like toothpicks.

Stopped by my local solar store this morning to see what they had.
They had a handful of our inverter on display prewired for sale
They also had prewired Victron multiplus ii units and the lux units.

Their service guy had nothing but good to say. Says they haven’t had to repair/warranty any
Ironically he let me go in the service bay and there was a luxpower there for repair 😅
IMG_1967.jpegIMG_1966.jpeg

Stopped by my local solar store this morning to see what they had.
They had a handful of our inverter on display prewired for sale
They also had prewired Victron multiplus ii units and the lux units.

Their service guy had nothing but good to say. Says they haven’t had to repair/warranty any
Ironically he let me go in the service bay and there was a luxpower there for repair 😅
View attachment 195284View attachment 195285
That's great news, Some Really Nice Equipment....

I'm really interested as to why they ran the case ground to the DC negative.
Couldn't this be bad if an AC short were to occur?

That's great news, Some Really Nice Equipment....

I'm really interested as to why they ran the case ground to the DC negative.
Couldn't this be bad if an AC short were to occur?
I’ll ask them next time I stop by

Ground mounts for the rest of my life unless the roof is at least 50° slope which would be a pita to install even with a knuckle boom.
IMG_20240213_171411.jpg
Screenshot_20240213-174050.jpg
Screenshot_20240213-173909.jpg

Reactions: Zwy
Looks good, next time a little higher so you won't have to shovel snow.

:)
Hahaha
Oh it will be. I have cursed at myself the past 3 times I've had to clear in front of it.
Luckily I've already learned the tractor tires suck in snowy grass or I would have tried to using that with the back blade offset to clear in front of them, it would have ended badly.

diy solar

diy solar
Back