diy solar

diy solar

6000XP and Soft Start Device for 120V loads

solarguy456

I have an EG4 6000XP. When I start the gas dryer, the inverter immediately faults out. I measured the inrush current and it is a round 57 Amps peak. Does anybody know of a soft start device that would reduce the inrush current?
1703261188414.png

Have a look at high current thermistors. There is some DIY well pump soft start videos on YouTube that are worth pursuing.

I believe there can be a specific issues with HF inverters and dryers that can be overcome. I don’t remember exactly what it is but I don’t think hope is lost for you

start device that would reduce the inrush current?

Several possible scenarios;
Something’s wrong with the dryer, ie motor run cap?

I completely believe James when he says it’ll run a dryer. But if you’re talking electric, that would be a balanced 240 volt 23 amp running (30 amp breaker). A gas would be 120 volts 7.5 amps running (15/20 breaker) not balanced on one leg. Could the OP already have something on the same leg and the dryer’s ignition /drum motor be the last straw?

Several possible scenarios;
Something’s wrong with the dryer, ie motor run cap?

I completely believe James when he says it’ll run a dryer. But if you’re talking electric, that would be a balanced 240 volt 23 amp running (30 amp breaker). A gas would be 120 volts 7.5 amps running (15/20 breaker) not balanced on one leg. Could the OP already have something on the same leg and the dryer’s ignition /drum motor be the last straw?
I made sure to have minimal loads running when I tried to start the gas dryer. I measured the inrush current a few times just to make sure it wasn't an erroneous measurement and it is indeed around 57 amps peak. I'm going to build the circuit for the inrush current limiter and report back the results.

You might want to check your motor stock capacitor in your dryer before doing anything else, 57 amps on a regular motor of the size I would imagine would be in a dryer is crazy. What size is that motor? I can't imagine it being more than 1/8 of a horsepower.

Looks like the motor is 1/3 HP. Also, it has a running current of around 6.0 Amps which is around what I measured with a current clamp.
1703441953016.png

These motors do not have starting capacitor and have start winding in parallel with run winding during start. Video below demonstrates 1.8 ohm DC resistance of both windings together which would equal 67A at 120V. Some inductance in the motor and house wire resistance would drop the amps somewhat which could explain measured 45A(rms) starting current. These are nasty little motors for inverters to deal with.

I’m starting to see this. Pretty wild. They seem to have a centrifugal NC(start winding) NO(heat enable?) switch. It would be interesting to see if that little $19.99 soft start (above) would work. Funny how my electric dryer doesn’t so much make a flicker on high (MPP LV6548’s) yet my little Keurig could make some lights disco. (installed some inductors at the maker).

Back