diy solar

diy solar

6500's shut down output for a few seconds - No errors

RGH69

For some strange reason, the output power shuts down for a few seconds around the same time every morning. The EG4 6500's are setup as split phase and output priority is SUB. I am thinking it happens as the units switch to solar. They shut down for 4 or 5 seconds right before 8am then is fine the rest of the day. No errors recorded.

Any ideas?

What is battery SoC in the morning, just before it sees enough solar to jump on? The battery to HV DC converter may have to change modes from sourcing to charging and back if PV is weak. Both charge controller and HV DC converter gets their overhead power from battery. When there is enough PV power to provide more power than inverter's overhead consumption battery sees net charging, otherwise there is a net drain from battery of up to 70-80 watts for each inverter.

You might try to turn off PV breakers and wait until sun gets higher to see if drop out stops.

If you have grid input AC to rely on and inverter is sync'd up to grid with pass-through relay closed it should not matter if PV startup hiccup's.

Last edited:
In SUB, the batteries should remain full. They won't be used unless there's a power outage.
At least, that's usually the case for most of the Voltronics AIO's.
But I do remember that the EG4's act differently in some situations, from the norm.

What is battery SoC in the morning, just before it sees enough solar to jump on? The battery to HV DC converter may have to change modes from sourcing to charging and back if PV is weak. Both charge controller and HV DC converter gets their overhead power from battery. When there is enough PV power to provide more power than inverter's overhead consumption battery sees net charging, otherwise there is a net drain from battery of up to 70-80 watts for each inverter.

You might try to turn off PV breakers and wait until sun gets higher to see if drop out stops.

If you have grid input AC to rely on and inverter is sync'd up to grid with pass-through relay closed it should not matter if PV startup hiccup's.
Yes, I have Grid input as well.

I am thinking of re-connecting Solar Assistant. Perhaps it may shed some light with the continuous monitoring.

Signature Solar support had me change setting 42 to "Enable" which will shut off the internal neutral-ground bond. However, this did not fix the problem. What is really confusing to me is the output power drops off for about 3-5 seconds several times a day but there is no error messages.

Signature Solar support had me change setting 42 to "Enable" which will shut off the internal neutral-ground bond. However, this did not fix the problem. What is really confusing to me is the output power drops off for about 3-5 seconds several times a day but there is no error messages.
When this happens, does only the output shut off?
Or does the whole unit shut down?
If the later, it could be the BMS disconnecting. This would not give you a code on the AIO.

Just the output shuts down. But I switched to SBU and so far (knocking wood) the problem hasn't occurred. So I think it is a battery related issue.

Back