diy solar

diy solar

8 AWG wire into 10 AWG terminal...

Mark-

If you have some #10 wire and a quality splice connector like a copper split bolt, or a wire nut. NOT a wago connector.
A good crimp butt connector with a quality crimper would also work.

11A will not overheat 10 ga of stranded going into the terminal, although like others mentioned, using 8 ga terminals are the best choice.

Can anyone provide a link to a documented Wago lever lock issue? Are we intermingling Ideal's stab in "InSure" that are only compatible with solid wire vs. Wago lever locks?

How about a some pictures of failures that clearly show it was a Wago lever lock issue and not a an installation issue?

Can anyone provide a link to a documented Wago lever lock issue? Are we intermingling Ideal's stab in "InSure" that are only compatible with solid wire vs. Wago lever locks?

How about a some pictures of failures that clearly show it was a Wago lever lock issue and not a an installation issue?
I don't have a failure but here are some photos of 4 I was using to extend my dryer (6000W) for around 9 months until I bought my SRNE and took the dryer off grid. No idea which were L's, N or G.
I never did get around to checking wago temp while it was running, or put the wagos back in there bin ?.
I'm not an expert nor am I trying to promote wagos, honestly they seemed sketchy to me but they worked with 0 issues or smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_215802.jpg
    IMG_20231009_215802.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231009_220136.jpg
    IMG_20231009_220136.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231009_220154.jpg
    IMG_20231009_220154.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 35
I don't have a failure but here are some photos of 4 I was using to extend my dryer (6000W) for around 9 months until I bought my SRNE and took the dryer off grid. No idea which were L's, N or G.
I never did get around to checking wago temp while it was running, or put the wagos back in there bin ?.
I'm not an expert nor am I trying to promote wagos, honestly they seemed sketchy to me but they worked with 0 issues or smoke.
My dryer pulls 22.5A which is about max for most of them. 10ga wago rated at 41A, so yeah it should be fine at that load. I probably wouldn’t push it any harder.

Hello,

I am looking to put some 8 AWG wire into compression terminals like these:

View attachment 171561

And I seeking suggestion for crimp terminals or other...

I found these: (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/180599?qs=kJQ8vRrhYyd8p/Jp6dj8cw==&mgh=1)
View attachment 171562
but not sure they would be the best. This is for PV wire connections in a box. The voltage would be about 366 and 11 amps.

Other than changing the terminals to 8 AWG or using 10 AWG wire, other ideas?

A Dinkle DK6N 8-20AWG 50A is only like $22 for a small set on Amazon, $28 for a set with jumpers...

I slept in a house for 10 years with aluminum wiring and stab-lok breakers/panel. Kept a fire extinguisher under my arm for comfort. I think you will be OK OP.
I've been to the scene of a few house fires, due to that combination.

- I have to do a 8 AWG connection from main panel to sub-panel for an AC unit (40 amp breaker). What would be the best way to connect them?

- Wago
- wire nut connectors
- what else?

What Wago connector would I use for 8 awg? Kinda confusing looking at their site. I don't see any 8 awg options. It would be great, if you could provide a link

Would this work?

- I have to do a 8 AWG connection from main panel to sub-panel for an AC unit (40 amp breaker). What would be the best way to connect them?

- Wago
- wire nut connectors
- what else?

What Wago connector would I use for 8 awg? Kinda confusing looking at their site. I don't see any 8 awg options. It would be great, if you could provide a link
There’s no 8AWG wago. HVAC installer and electrician would likely use wire nuts if needed.

If you want to be pedantic terminal blocks and PDBs are also allowed but I doubt anyone bothers.

But I am confused by the need since in the majority (like 60-80%, not 99%) of cases HVAC would be connected through a disconnect box. That box will provide screw terminals. Breaker has screw terminals. So you only need wago/wire nuts/whatever if there is a splice in the middle.

You sure you need #8? HVAC wiring is sized by RLA/MCA not OCPD size. Running Load Amps, Minimum Circuit Ampacity, Overcurrent Protection. #10 is good enough to a pretty large AC. 35A RLA max which would be around 6 tons

There’s no 8AWG wago. HVAC installer and electrician would likely use wire nuts if needed.

If you want to be pedantic terminal blocks and PDBs are also allowed but I doubt anyone bothers.

But I am confused by the need since in the majority (like 60-80%, not 99%) of cases HVAC would be connected through a disconnect box. That box will provide screw terminals. Breaker has screw terminals. So you only need wago/wire nuts/whatever if there is a splice in the middle.

You sure you need #8? HVAC wiring is sized by RLA/MCA not OCPD size. Running Load Amps, Minimum Circuit Ampacity, Overcurrent Protection. #10 is good enough to a pretty large AC. 35A RLA max which would be around 6 tons
>
#10 is good enough to a pretty large AC
I think I need to recheck..the current wire looked bigger than a 10awg and looked more like 8. I will confirm. I can find 10 awg wago.

I am trying to move one of my ac units to critical load panel to run via inverter/batteries

thank you

Back