diy solar

diy solar

8 AWG wire into 10 AWG terminal...

I have: Split the strands into two bundles and put a crimp terminal on each one. Did not have terminals large enough or a larger crimper or room to fit the larger crimper.
Also in your case you may be able to use more than one terminal on the block.

- I have to do a 8 AWG connection from main panel to sub-panel for an AC unit (40 amp breaker). What would be the best way to connect them?

- Wago
- wire nut connectors
- what else?

What Wago connector would I use for 8 awg? Kinda confusing looking at their site. I don't see any 8 awg options. It would be great, if you could provide a link

Would this work?
An ac unit with a 40 amp breaker may not need 8awg.

You size the wire based on minimum ampacity of the equipment.
Then you are allowed to use the max breaker allowed by the unit on that wire.

Ok. I would personally use wire nuts listed to that size.

In terms of things with screw terminals.

Other option is AlumiConn which accepts #10 and comes in two and three port options. Easy to find

Ilsco Mac Block (hard to find)

PDB/terminal blocks would be pretty awkward to use for extending a circuit

An ac unit with a 40 amp breaker may not need 8awg.

You size the wire based on minimum ampacity of the equipment.
Then you are allowed to use the max breaker allowed by the unit on that wire.
I always thought no matter what you sized the AWG to the breaker.

40a = 8awg
30a = 10awg
20a = 12awg
15a = 14awg

That way no matter what the conductor is protected

Our 30,000 btu mini split called for a 40a breaker, she got 8awg even though it was a 20ft run from the panel to the disconnect. Difference between 8 and 10 wasn’t bad for that short a run.

Never heard of stab-lok before. Watched a scary demo... 15A Stab-lok didn't trip a short circuit without tripping the 60A supply circuit...
Can't remember for sure but I'm thinking it was them (Federal Pacific) that for a while used "EZY-WIRE as the marketing slogan for their breakers and panels.

Of course we turned that into EZY-FIRE after we replaced the umpteenth one.

Last edited:
One of my favorite ways to safely and reliably step up/step down wire sizes larger than #10 is with a readily available and super cheap disconnect.

This 30A disconnect has lugs are rated for #14- #2AWG. Of course you're never going get wire larger than #8 to bend in that tiny box so you might have to get creative and pull the disconnect out of that tiny box but I think you can see where I'm going. Yes, it's rated for 250Vdc and the pictures aren't accurate. They are solid, we use them all the time.

>

I think I need to recheck..the current wire looked bigger than a 10awg and looked more like 8. I will confirm. I can find 10 awg wago.

I am trying to move one of my ac units to critical load panel to run via inverter/batteries

thank you
It looks like 8 awg. Not sure why 8. The wire is not labelled so I compared the thickness..attached..white is 6awg. Green is 8awg and matches the ac unit wire(black). So I think I need to use the same. I have 2 units. 1 at 30a and one at 40a. Both are 8 awg

Attachments

• IMG-20231118-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20231118-WA0006.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ok. I would personally use wire nuts listed to that size.

In terms of things with screw terminals.

Other option is AlumiConn which accepts #10 and comes in two and three port options. Easy to find

Ilsco Mac Block (hard to find)

PDB/terminal blocks would be pretty awkward to use for extending a circuit
Are wire nuts ok for 8 awh. I got one from Home Depot

Alumniconn- aluminum to copper? Mine is all copper
Looks very expensive

Are wire nuts ok for 8 awh. I got one from Home Depot
Check the compatibility chart (printed on their or PDF). The biggest and second biggest work.

The wire nuts in the variety pack doesn’t go big enough.
Alumniconn- aluminum to copper? Mine is all copper
It’s dual rated so you can do copper copper. It’s a “creative” use case.

One of my favorite ways to safely and reliably step up/step down wire sizes larger than #10 is with a readily available and super cheap disconnect.

This 30A disconnect has lugs are rated for #14- #2AWG. Of course you're never going get wire larger than #8 to bend in that tiny box so you might have to get creative and pull the disconnect out of that tiny box but I think you can see where I'm going. Yes, it's rated for 250Vdc and the pictures aren't accurate. They are solid, we use them all the time.

I need to route directly to the sub-panel thru an existing conduit so can't use an external disconnect..

Would this work?

So if this applies to conventional AC systems, wonder how inverter based mini splits, knowing there’s no such thing as max inrush.
You are allowed to upsize OCPD for inverter, code section just says HVAC. And often the inverter will tell you to do that. Note it’s quoted in. MCA and MOCP. You can use any breaker between MCA and MOCP. And you do not need to upsize the wire to match MOCP.

This is why I get really antsy explaining DIY stuff to people repurposing HVAC circuits for other things. Because they have to be aware of how to measure the wire, instead of just assuming the ampacity matches the OCPD

Check the compatibility chart (printed on their or PDF). The biggest and second biggest work.

The wire nuts in the variety pack doesn’t go big enough.

It’s dual rated so you can do copper copper. It’s a “creative” use case.
I got these. Will check out alumniconn

Attachments

• PXL_20231119_012741787.jpg
    PXL_20231119_012741787.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

I am looking to put some 8 AWG wire into compression terminals like these:

View attachment 171561

And I seeking suggestion for crimp terminals or other...

I found these: (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/180599?qs=kJQ8vRrhYyd8p/Jp6dj8cw==&mgh=1)
View attachment 171562
but not sure they would be the best. This is for PV wire connections in a box. The voltage would be about 366 and 11 amps.

Other than changing the terminals to 8 AWG or using 10 AWG wire, other ideas?

Just get wire ferrules...should fit nicely...

I got these. Will check out alumniconn
Yup I’ve used these big blue nuts before. Really easy to use with how well built these are, and the wings make it easy to get leverage to crank down. It’ll work with any size wire you might have in there. Can’t remember if your ground is #6 (which is insanely oversized) hopefully it isn’t since #6 has very limited splicing options with wirenuts, and you tend to need to splice ground a lot more

Alumniconn was just for educational informing. These wirenuts are more appropriate

Back