diy solar

diy solar

8 AWG wire into 10 AWG terminal...

Mark-

If you have some #10 wire and a quality splice connector like a copper split bolt, or a wire nut. NOT a wago connector.
A good crimp butt connector with a quality crimper would also work.

11A will not overheat 10 ga of stranded going into the terminal, although like others mentioned, using 8 ga terminals are the best choice.

Can anyone provide a link to a documented Wago lever lock issue? Are we intermingling Ideal's stab in "InSure" that are only compatible with solid wire vs. Wago lever locks?

How about a some pictures of failures that clearly show it was a Wago lever lock issue and not a an installation issue?

Can anyone provide a link to a documented Wago lever lock issue? Are we intermingling Ideal's stab in "InSure" that are only compatible with solid wire vs. Wago lever locks?

How about a some pictures of failures that clearly show it was a Wago lever lock issue and not a an installation issue?
I don't have a failure but here are some photos of 4 I was using to extend my dryer (6000W) for around 9 months until I bought my SRNE and took the dryer off grid. No idea which were L's, N or G.
I never did get around to checking wago temp while it was running, or put the wagos back in there bin ?.
I'm not an expert nor am I trying to promote wagos, honestly they seemed sketchy to me but they worked with 0 issues or smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_20231009_215802.jpg
    IMG_20231009_215802.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231009_220136.jpg
    IMG_20231009_220136.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20231009_220154.jpg
    IMG_20231009_220154.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 35
I don't have a failure but here are some photos of 4 I was using to extend my dryer (6000W) for around 9 months until I bought my SRNE and took the dryer off grid. No idea which were L's, N or G.
I never did get around to checking wago temp while it was running, or put the wagos back in there bin ?.
I'm not an expert nor am I trying to promote wagos, honestly they seemed sketchy to me but they worked with 0 issues or smoke.
My dryer pulls 22.5A which is about max for most of them. 10ga wago rated at 41A, so yeah it should be fine at that load. I probably wouldn’t push it any harder.

Hello,

I am looking to put some 8 AWG wire into compression terminals like these:

View attachment 171561

And I seeking suggestion for crimp terminals or other...

I found these: (https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/180599?qs=kJQ8vRrhYyd8p/Jp6dj8cw==&mgh=1)
View attachment 171562
but not sure they would be the best. This is for PV wire connections in a box. The voltage would be about 366 and 11 amps.

Other than changing the terminals to 8 AWG or using 10 AWG wire, other ideas?

A Dinkle DK6N 8-20AWG 50A is only like $22 for a small set on Amazon, $28 for a set with jumpers...

I slept in a house for 10 years with aluminum wiring and stab-lok breakers/panel. Kept a fire extinguisher under my arm for comfort. I think you will be OK OP.
I've been to the scene of a few house fires, due to that combination.

- I have to do a 8 AWG connection from main panel to sub-panel for an AC unit (40 amp breaker). What would be the best way to connect them?

- Wago
- wire nut connectors
- what else?

What Wago connector would I use for 8 awg? Kinda confusing looking at their site. I don't see any 8 awg options. It would be great, if you could provide a link

Would this work?

- I have to do a 8 AWG connection from main panel to sub-panel for an AC unit (40 amp breaker). What would be the best way to connect them?

- Wago
- wire nut connectors
- what else?

What Wago connector would I use for 8 awg? Kinda confusing looking at their site. I don't see any 8 awg options. It would be great, if you could provide a link
There’s no 8AWG wago. HVAC installer and electrician would likely use wire nuts if needed.

If you want to be pedantic terminal blocks and PDBs are also allowed but I doubt anyone bothers.

But I am confused by the need since in the majority (like 60-80%, not 99%) of cases HVAC would be connected through a disconnect box. That box will provide screw terminals. Breaker has screw terminals. So you only need wago/wire nuts/whatever if there is a splice in the middle.

You sure you need #8? HVAC wiring is sized by RLA/MCA not OCPD size. Running Load Amps, Minimum Circuit Ampacity, Overcurrent Protection. #10 is good enough to a pretty large AC. 35A RLA max which would be around 6 tons

There’s no 8AWG wago. HVAC installer and electrician would likely use wire nuts if needed.

If you want to be pedantic terminal blocks and PDBs are also allowed but I doubt anyone bothers.

But I am confused by the need since in the majority (like 60-80%, not 99%) of cases HVAC would be connected through a disconnect box. That box will provide screw terminals. Breaker has screw terminals. So you only need wago/wire nuts/whatever if there is a splice in the middle.

You sure you need #8? HVAC wiring is sized by RLA/MCA not OCPD size. Running Load Amps, Minimum Circuit Ampacity, Overcurrent Protection. #10 is good enough to a pretty large AC. 35A RLA max which would be around 6 tons
>
#10 is good enough to a pretty large AC
I think I need to recheck..the current wire looked bigger than a 10awg and looked more like 8. I will confirm. I can find 10 awg wago.

I am trying to move one of my ac units to critical load panel to run via inverter/batteries

thank you

I have: Split the strands into two bundles and put a crimp terminal on each one. Did not have terminals large enough or a larger crimper or room to fit the larger crimper.
Also in your case you may be able to use more than one terminal on the block.

- Wago
- wire nut connectors
- what else?

Would this work?
An ac unit with a 40 amp breaker may not need 8awg.

You size the wire based on minimum ampacity of the equipment.
Then you are allowed to use the max breaker allowed by the unit on that wire.

Ok. I would personally use wire nuts listed to that size.

In terms of things with screw terminals.

Other option is AlumiConn which accepts #10 and comes in two and three port options. Easy to find

Ilsco Mac Block (hard to find)

PDB/terminal blocks would be pretty awkward to use for extending a circuit

diy solar

diy solar
Back