diy solar

diy solar

A Question on MPPT Controllers

You are getting lots of great advice here 👍;

I also have that PWM charger, but do not use it any longer. Note, typically the Victron requires battery voltage plus 5 volts to get the system to start 😳.

View attachment 196180

On the Victron unit;

Don’t use ferrules & use the right fine wire multi strand;

View attachment 196182

The above wire is “Marine Grade” ,,, You can buy it at a local Boat “Marine” Store.

Regarding Backlash ,,, This should never happen, but unfortunately does. The internet can be tough to get thru if you are learning about such things as this, but there are good Members on this Forum that just want to help you out. We all had to learn this stuff from somewhere, as none if us were born knowing it. It is very difficult for inexperienced DIYers knowing who to trust on the internet ,,, I get that. Unfortunately people come with egos & we all have to deal with that stuff. Stick it out & you will learn & have the knowledge. Everything we do comes down to “Knowledge & Motor-skills”. You seem to have a DIY interest ,,, Hang in There it gets easier !!
I'm actually surprised you have a CanadaProof too (I mean, were both in Canada lol, they're just so hard to find and cost a good $99).

We have tried 12, 10 and 8AWG wires on the Victron; with and without ferrules... although I read someone had used a 6AWG? I didn't think those little terminals could fit a 6. The replacement wires I had installed are marine-grade 8AWG.

I'm actually surprised you have a CanadaProof too (I mean, were both in Canada lol, they're just so hard to find and cost a good $99).

We have tried 12, 10 and 8AWG wires on the Victron; with and without ferrules... although I read someone had used a 6AWG? I didn't think those little terminals could fit a 6. The replacement wires I had installed are marine-grade 8AWG.
The max wire size you can fit into the Victron 100/20 is 10AWG. 8AWG definitely will not fit.

I never read this thread, but had to laugh when I saw the circuit breakers. I have one that is a 32A PV disconnect. I tested it at 90A and it didn't trip after a minute at that current. I had to stop the test because of an overheating connector.
It still kept going after 32A??? Good thing I read your post; I'm using a 32A PV breaker (cheap one from Amazon). Although the maximum my PWMs had ever reached was 21.1A, its still a safety concern worth knowing of. Thank you for your post!

Yes I purchased my CanadaProof @ “Canadian Energy”. PWM & MPPT both have pros & cons. Just use whatever will give you the best charge for your individual situation (somebody in Sunny Arizona might not understand that).

#6 wire for my Victron 100 | 50 is the largest wire it can take ,,, We can look up the largest wire your Victron can take if you want to get that one up & running. @Q-Dog is quoting #10, but I would verify that in the Victron manual or website (trust but verify).

Regarding the breaker switch, I am looking for this to use as a disconnect ,,, not really a breaker for my portable solar charging system. If my idea works & if it can take fine wire on the MPPT side & typical solar wire on the panel side then your (& my) solar wire to fine wire connection can be satisfied thru a breaker switch ( disconnect ).

Glad you didn’t give up on the Forum here 🙌

Don’t use ferrules in those Victron screw connections.

FYI ,,, I know from a brainfart & experience ,,, Do Not mix up the Positive & Negative from your Victron to your battery ,,, That will turn it into a brick. 😳

Last edited:
Regarding the breaker switch, I am looking for this to use as a disconnect ,,, not really a breaker for my portable solar charging system. If my idea works & if it can take fine wire on the MPPT side & typical solar wire on the panel side then your (& my) solar wire to fine wire connection can be satisfied thru a breaker switch ( disconnect ).
I only got mine to use as a shut-off (there is no way my array could ever trip 32A), but its been working well this year. Just, umm... don't expect it to shut-off after 32A apparently lol.

10 awg is indeed the largest size wire that the 100/20 will accept according to the Victron spec sheet. The 100/50 will accept up to a 6 awg wire, even with a ferrule on it.

Back