diy solar

diy solar

A Question on MPPT Controllers

highwaypirate

I got a feeling this post might get me some backlash, but I don't know where else to ask.

I had recently ordered a Victron 100/20 but had extreme difficulty getting it wired up. The terminal ports on the underneath, regardless of how tight the cables are, always move around and eventually pop out. Now I've been using a rebranded PWM controller for years (and its still in use), but a few here had roasted a previous post I made where I stated the fact I'd prefer staying with PWM over MPPT for their simplicity, despite not being as efficient. I have attached two photos of the 100/20 and the PWM side-by-side; my question is are there any MPPT controllers that use screw/bot terminals? The ones which Victron (and some Renogy ones) use are giving me great safety concerns.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_111709.jpg
    IMG_20240212_111709.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240212_111724.jpg
    IMG_20240212_111724.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 36
I cant think of any CC with screw terminals like that.

Yes, victron specs a high strand count wire so it will form to the connector port.

Honestly i have not had that issue with mine and I ran 7 strand pv cable into my 100/30. (Not recommended by victron)

I give all wires a "tug" on occasion, the ones i find loose are on my PV/DC breakers from Midnight, those need occasional tightening.

I know, when I first saw these CanadaProof ones I thought the terminals were odd. But they've been super reliable and barely come loose (one might give a slight wiggle after a year of hard roads). I haven't seen any MPPT using connections like those ones, though wouldn't it make more sense to use them? If a screw gets stripped, just replace with another one instead of buying a CC. There has to be atleast one company that used screws similar, though I could be looking for something that may not exist.

I had a Renogy with the same terminals as the Victron, but the strands broke apart within and shorted the CC to a crisp. That's my safety concern. If my install was in a non-moving environment (a house), I'd feel a little safer with them.

The mistake I see most with the Victron SCC is folks not checking that the screw terminals are unscrewed all the way before trying to insert the wire. Watch the wire openings as you unscrew the terminals and you will quickly understand how the wire clamps work.

And before you insert the wires you need to make sure the strands are very smooth and neat, not frayed on the ends.

Use fine stranded wire with a crimped ferrule. You can't get any better than that.

I was unaware. Why is this so? Curious.
It seems we keep having this discussion. It has to do with the way the wire clamps around the wire strands.

Don't have an explanation. If the ferrule is crimped properly and the screw terminal tightened down properly, should be a reliable connection. Is this a high vibration environment?
Yes. It's for an SUV that frequents rough roads and fields (I supply power for remote workers).

It seems we keep having this discussion. It has to do with the way the wire clamps around the wire strands.
And then you have this post which is from the manuals. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/source-to-buy-quality-wire-ferrules.60670/post-750872

After using ferrules, it would be rare I'd go commando.

I saw a video from Projects in Paradise 808 where he mentions he uses ferrules on his Victrons, but I've heard from both sides of their use.

My coworker suggests I modify the Victron by frankenstein-ing it to somehow use different terminal types, but I'm not a mad scientist and wouldn't know where to begin. I'll keep tinkering with the Victron, but as far as my setup goes I'm quite contempt with my cheap PWMs for now.

Back