diy solar

diy solar

(Looking for) MPPT with Bolt/Ring Terminal Screws

highwaypirate

Hello all! I'm looking around for an MPPT controller with bolt/ring terminal connectors (I don't know the proper term to call them, but I've added photos below to show you what I mean). I recently bought a Victron 100/20, however, its connectors were unable to maintain a tight enough connection; making it a huge safety risk for my setup.

The controllers I use is a 'generic' PWM rebranded by CanadaProof (I'm not sure if they are a real company), but they have been super reliable for the last 4 years! Take a look at the photos attached and let me know if you either know of an MPPT which uses similar connections as the PWM or even if you have one that you would like to sell. Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_111709.jpg
    IMG_20240212_111709.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240212_111724.jpg
    IMG_20240212_111724.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 21
What size wire into the Victron? Maybe a bigger or smaller wire?
We have tried 12, 10 and 8AWG wires; tried with and without ferrules.

I've decided to not use the Victron, or any chargers using those terminals. My setup is inside a vehicle that sees harsh road surfaces; the thought of wires becoming loose is a major safety concern for me.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, I hate those "squeezeit" connections, I just shut down my house system to check all the screws for tightness, which I do every 6 months or so, and invariably find one or two that can be tightened more. I havent seen any controllers with ring connectors, but certainly would be looking for that as an desirable feature, especially on those smaller controllers.

I feel your pain, I hate those "squeezeit" connections, I just shut down my house system to check all the screws for tightness, which I do every 6 months or so, and invariably find one or two that can be tightened more. I havent seen any controllers with ring connectors, but certainly would be looking for that as an desirable feature, especially on those smaller controllers.
I know! All I've seen were CanadaProof and the Voyager series that Renogy sells. I'm kind of worried that I'll be stuck with the CanadaProof controllers (sure they are as reliable as a 1990s Corolla, but I know I can gain more power from my panels with MPPT). I'd kind of like to know why the big names don't use ring terminals on their controllers... it would just be more safer I'd think?

Victron 100/20, however, its connectors were unable to maintain a tight enough connection; making it a huge safety risk for my setup.
It's probable you are not using the correct multi strand cable. I have installed many Victron solar controllers without issue. Suggest you rectify the cable issue and use the Victron unit. It will give a much greater solar yield than alternatives.
Screenshot_20240217-170510_Chrome~2.jpg

It's probable you are not using the correct multi strand cable. I have installed many Victron solar controllers without issue. Suggest you rectify the cable issue and use the Victron unit. It will give a much greater solar yield than alternatives.
View attachment 196193
I had all of my wires replaced this week and the shop was unable to install the Victron still.

I've already decided to not use the Victron. I gave mine to a co-worker who wants to 'frankenstein' its terminals. I know they are fantastic contollers, but for the insane surfaces I have to drive on (most times spent on fields than actual road), I need an insanely strong connection (the setup is mounted inside a vehicle).

I've already decided to not use the Victron. I gave mine to a co-worker who wants to 'frankenstein' its terminals. I know they are fantastic contollers, but for the insane surfaces I have to drive on (most times spent on fields than actual road), I need an insanely strong connection (the setup is mounted inside a vehicle).
I tried to do a search, didn't see any MPPT's with studs for ring terminals.
Just not very common I guess.

I tried to do a search, didn't see any MPPT's with studs for ring terminals.
Just not very common I guess.
I know, its really a shame. I've always sworn by ring terminals as there is very little chances of it 'popping loose' (unless you don't inspect the connections on occasion). My first solar setup still had tight connections after two years without checking, though I'd assume it was because 3A don't heat the terminals enough to force them loose.

I'm surprised Prowse hasn't mentioned terminal issues before (unless he has and I haven't spotted his video/mention). There are some of us who do have difficulties with them.

Maybe in his earlier vids a few years ago.

Is there any way you could swap out the terminal block?
install one with studs instead? even if it had to sit external to the SCC at least you would have a way to use ring terminal connections.
Just a thought.

I know, its really a shame. I've always sworn by ring terminals as there is very little chances of it 'popping loose' (unless you don't inspect the connections on occasion). My first solar setup still had tight connections after two years without checking, though I'd assume it was because 3A don't heat the terminals enough to force them loose.

I'm surprised Prowse hasn't mentioned terminal issues before (unless he has and I haven't spotted his video/mention). There are some of us who do have difficulties with them.
You could mount terminal blocks close to the controller using short conductors, the short wires would not be stressed.
Then put ring terminals on the solar conductors and mount to the terminal blocks.

Also the marine version Midnite Kid has the terminal block inside and includes a strain relief on the case. Thats a 30A mppt

So here is my question then; my LiFePO4 voltage spikes to 16.0V and above if chargers are set to absorb over 14.1V (my bms is faulty)... is there an additional device where you can adjust its absorb voltage? Or is it the standard 14.4V?

I had all of my wires replaced this week and the shop was unable to install the Victron still.
What exact cable was being used? You have to have enough strands in the cable for it to work correctly. Using correct cable it should not be possible to physically pull out the cable without a lot of force.

Is there any way you could swap out the terminal block?
install one with studs instead? even if it had to sit external to the SCC at least you would have a way to use ring terminal connections.
Just a thought.
My co-worker was thinking of doing that same thing with the Victron. If he can somehow manage it, I'd salute him, then send Victron a photo of it by asking why not have some controllers like that.

Back