diy solar

diy solar

Adding 50AH BattleBorn to 100AH BattleBorn - any issues?

Freewheeler

Greetings - first post.

I've got a VW Vanagon Camper with a 100AH BattleBorn as a house battery. I'd like to add more capacity but I don't want to take my whole system apart and make room for another 100AH BB. I have room for a BB 50AH and was wondering if there will be any issues combining those 2 batteries in parallel?

I realize that the bigger battery will start charging the smaller battery when the smaller one loses it's charge, but will the 2 BMSs play nice with each other? Would there be any other issues I need to think about?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

No, and it won't work like you "realize." The BMSs will have no idea the other is present.

See "Wiring" in link #2 in my signature for best practices when constructing a battery bank.

I would have never believed 2 batteries of disparate capacities would play well together. There is another thread on here (don't remember the name) where a couple of guys have miss-matched systems that are operating well, with data to back it up

I am still to leery to try that. But search around, or maybe someone will know the thread and link it for you.

I would have never believed 2 batteries of disparate capacities would play well together. There is another thread on here (don't remember the name) where a couple of guys have miss-matched systems that are operating well, with data to back it up

I am still to leery to try that. But search around, or maybe someone will know the thread and link it for you.
I've looked everywhere for the thread on real life data on mismatched battery systems but can't find it. If you run across it again will you contact me

I'd be interested to see how it works in real life. In theory it should work okay, but perhaps that doesn't hold in practice.

I am still using my two batteries packs in parallel and keeping close eyes on them until I have the money to build my second 280Ah pack, so far no issue, I am charging and discharging about 3KWHr everyday.

Back