diy solar

diy solar

Adding a MPPT solar charge controller

Scott Martinez

Since my my bank of T105's need to equalize and the 2424 cannot provide that, I was thinking about getting a Renogy Rover 60amp, and a Victron 712. I would use the 2424 as an inverter/transfer switch and run 200-500 watts 24/7 that would pull from the grid when needed for the loads. This seems like a better option than getting a battery charger to use to maintain the 105's properly.

Any thoughts on this setup? The rest of the system is 6 - 270w 30v panels ground mounted in two banks.

Also, if I did the math right, my 8 T105's have a capacity of 74Ah at 24v fully charged?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Also, if I did the math right, my 8 T105's have a capacity of 74Ah at 24v fully charged?
Amazon shows:
  • Voltage: 6, Amperage: 225Ah, Chemistry: Flooded
So with 4 in series to make 2x 24v batteries, and batteries paralleled:
That should be 225Ah per 24v battery, 2 in parallel makes 450Ah

This seems like a better option than getting a battery charger to use to maintain the 105's properly.
Are you calling the "battery charger" the 2424 or the Renogy or something else?

Amazon shows:
  • Voltage: 6, Amperage: 225Ah, Chemistry: Flooded
So with 4 in series to make 2x 24v batteries, and batteries paralleled:
That should be 225Ah per 24v battery, 2 in parallel makes 450Ah
The data sheets says 225Ah @ 20 hour. The 105's have capacity rated at 25 amps for 447 minutes and 75 amps for 115 minutes. How does that compare to a Battle Born that says 100 amp hour. I'm guessing the BB will deliver 100 amps for one hour. Would the 105's then be 75 amp at for 1 and 25 minutes, roughly 100 amp hour as well? Are they just apples and oranges, or is there a standard in the sheets I don't understand? Sorry, this part of PV is harder than I thought it would be...
Are you calling the "battery charger" the 2424 or the Renogy or something else?

-I mean an actual plug into the utility battery charger that would charge a series/parallel 24v system, and do my equalize charge monthly. I'm guessing I should cut my losses and start getting gear that would work with the battery bank that I own. The Renogy Rover 60 is the right size for my solar, and do bulk and equalize charges with enough sun. I literality made the lv2424 as an impulse purchase after watching one of Will's videos on YouTube. I didn't even know after it arrived that there might be better battery options until months after the purchase of my 8 T105's. I'm guessing there might be a better Inverter, but the PIP with it's built in transfer switch seems to do the trick (for now).

Back