diy solar

diy solar

Adding storage to my Enphase system

I have been following your progress but a lot of it is over my head. And the time of use thing doesn't apply to me at this time since my power company is net zero. I noticed you commenting in some of the BMS threads and I figured connecting to the controller would be something you are interested in. It seems so complicated. I guess letting the BMS cut the power isn't so bad.
I just realized you are in California. I lived in Los Angeles beach area for 20 years. I miss it a lot.

Even if there are very good NET metering rules, there can still be a benefit to using time of use control with storage. Ideally, you want to store all the extra power you make around "Solar Noon" so you can use it all yourself at night. This way you are helping to make the grid more stable. With so much solar going in in many places, there is a huge surplus of power hitting the grid so the utilities have to reduce generation, but then at night they have to crank it back up as the sun goes down. The more I have read about the "Duck Curve" issue, the more I understand why it is such a problem. Large power plant's work best at a steady rate of production. To take it a step further, it would be very cool to figure out the average energy usage for the home, and dial it in to just pull the same current all day long. As you pull more than needed, it goes into the battery. When demand goes up and/or solar production goes down, the battery pushes power back into the house so the draw from the grid remains constant. I plan to work towards that, now that I have a way to control the inverter with a program.

I may try to read the BMS in the future. With my current setup, I have the inverter shutting down if the battery voltage goes too low. And I have that threshold a couple volts higher than the BMS shut off. I don't ever want the BMS to shut down as it is not a graceful way of dealing with it. If something is going wrong though, I want that there to protect the system. As smart as the inverter is, it has no idea of the battery bank is out of balance. I have thought of a few different ideas on how to better handle a single cell error. This is certainly not something I need to work on now as I have been closely monitoring my battery bank, and the cells are much better matched than I expected since one of my modules build date is a full year older than the other two. With my overall settings not going above 90% or below 40% there is little worry of a cell hitting it's limits. I also do have the Schneider's battery temp sensor connected, so it will also shut down if the battery get's too hot or cold. The BMS turning off is a last resort if something is out of whack.

I grew up north of Chicago, IL. There was a lot to like about it, and I was not expecting to move from the area. When I moved out, I bought a house just 10 miles from my childhood home. Winters could be a bit brutal, but in my 20's and into my 30's it was just part of life. It was a major job shake up that made me move. When I got the offer to com out here for work, It took me a while to decide. In early 2003 My wife and I am our 2 year old daughter packed up and headed west. My office is in Burbank, and it was a culture shock for sure. Finding a home was another issue. I could not live in Burbank. Anything I could afford was a dump. Being brand new in the job, I sure didn't want to have a mortgage I couldn't cover. We found Santa Clarita Valley, and it felt like being back in Mount Prospect. It is a 27 mile drive to my office though, but so worth it. When you drive over the Newhall Pass out of LA it is like going into a different world. The crime rate is way better, the cost of living is reasonable, the schools are way better, the people are actually nice, and even the air is so much clearer. I bought this house after being in Cali just 4 months. We had a second kid and my wife well.... she is now my ex, but that is for another story. I kept the house, and she is in Washington state now. My daughter is now 18 living with her mom and my son is 16 living here with me and my wonderful girlfriend. I can never imaging having to shovel snow again. I don't miss it one bit. We have felt a few decent earthquakes, but I still can't imagine what the Northridge quake felt like, but I like knowing this house survived it with no structural issues. The last few years the fires have been way worse, but the chances of one getting close to my home is pretty slim. The smoke and air quality is a concern for sure, and the odds of losing power are getting worse, so that has driven my thoughts on adding the storage a bit. When I went back and visited my sister north of Chicago, my old house has flooded 3 times, the river is 5 feet higher than it was, they actually raised the bridges. They had an ice storm take out a substation, and lost power for over a week. No matter where you live, there is likely to be good and bad. Now in my mid 50's, I'll take the So Cal life over the midwest. When my kids begged for snow, it was a 30 minute drive up to Mt. Frazier. And it is about the same to hit a wonderful ocean beach. I have been here 17 years now, and I don't plan on moving anytime soon.

This whole Covid mess is certainly testing people and my work is sure screwed up. I am hopeful we can recover and I won't be job hunting, but I do certainly have some options if things go bad. One of my thoughts was starting a company for adding storage systems to existing grid tie solar. From my hunt, it is an under served market. My slowdown at work has allowed me the time to put my system in and use it for study. Only the future can tell where this is all going to lead.

I am going to have a lot of batteries and I only need them for outages. I will cycle them however is best to extend their life.
It seems that I will have lots of options so I might as well time things to help out.
I grew up in Detroit area and took off to LA after high school.
I'm in Clearwater, FL now because it's cheap and I don't feel like working. My wife likes it here. She hasn't been to California much.

Wow, the humidity went way up overnight and the sky is solid gray. Can't even tell where the sun is. At 9 am I am usually already making over 1 kw, but today it is just 300 watts from the solar. It is cooler, but still feels muggy out. What a change, dry and 114 yesterday, and humid and just 69 as I type this. The high today is predicted to still hit 97 with the clouds moving out after noon, but right now it sure does not look like it will happen. It is 84% humidity and fogged over, wow, we never get that here.

I got the Nano-10 PLC to read values from the XW-Pro inverter. Next step is setting a value, I will try that after it is done grid feeding at 9 PM tonight.

...The more I have read about the "Duck Curve" issue, the more I understand why it is such a problem....
CA Rule 21 lets grid operators request / curtail power from renewables/batteries by shifting the frequency up/down. Curtailing is mandatory, but I haven't seen any vendors supporting the export to grid on demand yet. You might also be interested in How will Batteries change the world?. There's also the speculation about VPPs in Battery Day is Coming... where the duck curve becomes a sell high/buy low opportunity for those with batteries. Finally, you might find the number wrangling in the 2020 campaign promise Small reduction in green house gases for $2 trillion? Are you kidding me? amusing (or terrifying ;-).

CA Rule 21 lets grid operators request / curtail power from renewables/batteries by shifting the frequency up/down. Curtailing is mandatory, but I haven't seen any vendors supporting the export to grid on demand yet. You might also be interested in How will Batteries change the world?. There's also the speculation about VPPs in Battery Day is Coming... where the duck curve becomes a sell high/buy low opportunity for those with batteries. Finally, you might find the number wrangling in the 2020 campaign promise Small reduction in green house gases for $2 trillion? Are you kidding me? amusing (or terrifying ;-).
Battery day could be interesting, or just more Musk Hype.
The whole thing about the 2 Trillion green energy program is a bit out of whack. I agree that using that money to continue the rebate program makes a lot more sense. The 30% rebate on my solar install is what paid for my battery install. I might be able to get 26% on the Schneider inverter also, but I doubt I can pull it off on the re used Bolt batteries.

I have made some major progress on the PLC programming. I have the separate routines that will connect to the XW and then read out values if I click on connect, then read etc. But if I put it together into one routine it is too fast and errors out. I need to make it a state machine that will do each step and wait for each response. I am drawing the flow chart now. This is far from time critical as it just has to send 2 values twice a day for now, but I still want to make it efficient so I can add other functions without it getting stuck waiting for one thing to finish. I am also trying to make the code more universal, so it will be easy to change IP and Modbus addresses among other things. Part of the plan is to also make it read the power being produce and the power being used and have the PLC adjust the battery charge rate to follow the extra production. Now it just charges at the set current starting at 8:30 am. With or without solar, it does not care.

We have another horrible air quality day. It does not taste quite so smokey, but the haze and overcast is crazy. There is not enough direct sun to cast a shadow and my solar production is well under half of normal. At least this time it is also "cool" at about 80F so the A/C won't need to run much.

With the reduced solar, most of my battery charge today is actually from the grid. The solar didn't start exceeding my charge power until the battery went into absorb mode. Peak power still has not topped 1,600 watts today, where I normally see 3,400 watts. I am glad I reduced my export last night so it didn't have as much to put back. At about 34 amps, it topped up the battery by 12:50 PM and it has been in absorb for over an hour now, putting just 1.25 amps into the battery. The Schneider sees it as 57.71 volts where the BMS at the cells is showing 57.17 volts. I may have to check the calibration again, that seems like a large difference for just one amp of current.

The BMS is actually reporting the battery as 100% full, 360 amp hour remaining. I did not expect to see that with the voltage at 57.17 or 1.63 volts below the full charge 58.80 volts. The cells are still holding great balance with the highest at 4.084 and the lowest 4.081 volts. The BMS has totaled 3,943.3 amp hours have been put in and taken back out of the battery. At my low currents it is just coasting along. With the cool weather and low solar, I am lowering the sell and charge currents a bit more.

Exciting progress!
Would you ever progress the software to the point that charging current follows excess solar? Something to keep the grid meter close to 0?

Also, I feel you on the solar production.
Total for today 12kwh, 8 kwh yesterday. Normal is something like 35-45 kwh depending on ambient temperature.

That is the eventual plan. I have all the data and the control variable to dynamically adjust the charge current now. One I have it working, I will probably get a WattNode, so I can have it measure the grid main and try to zero that.

Today was my worst solar production in a very long time, I only did 9.4 KWH, but yesterday was no so bad, still managed 22.4 and 16.9 the day before. But today, I don't think my A/C even kicked on at all, so even with the horrible production, it will be a fairly low consumption day. I only used 20.69 KWH yesterday. Today's will be even less.

I am 400 miles north of you and having the same experience. Very little solar production and my Inverter says my battery is at 99% but my BMS says I am at 67%, No worries, the average cell voltages are 3.3 volts. In the morning I can also force a bulk charge from the grid to reset everything if I think I am running out of reserve and want to get my BMS and inverter SOC estimates back in sync. The EVs are charged and it looks like we are safe from PSPSs for the time being although parts of Santa Rosa was without power yesterday.
The good news is this is great weather for planting winter vegetables and my wife found a bunch of Chinese cabbage six packs at the local nursery.. I adjusted the sprinklers and had a glass of wine with her and my sister during our visit to help my sister set up her Dyson air filter. These are unusual times. We are running the FAU fan 15 minutes each hour to keep the air clean in the home. When I see blue skies again I may hose off the solar panels.

Good to hear you guys didn't have any fire on your property.
I was looking at the expected sun in my area and it goes way down until February.
That's nothing to do with fires, it's just winter.
The west coast needs a break from the sun to get some green ground cover back.

The Enphase Enlighten app shows me my current production and also let's me compare to the previous day and same day last year. This is certainly not just winter. Yesterday my production was less than half of last year, and that was when I still had palm tress shading a chunk of my array. By the numbers, I should still be making over 24 KWH's, last year yesterday I had made 22, and yesterday I only made 9.4 with the smoke and fog, as well as a fresh layer of ash on the panels. It is still very early to tell for sure, at just 8:25 am as I write this, but so far today, the production is tracking very good. It averaged 500 watts from 8:00-8:15 where yesterday that same time was only 300 watts. Last year it was 400 watts.

The smoke is still bad here. Open Valencia, CA in Apple weather, and instead of rainy, cloudy, etc. it just says Smoke.

Still made almost twice the solar power of yesterday, but that is not saying a lot. Still well short of the same day last year. And it was a bit htter today, so I will likely have used a bit more from the grid. The cool yesterday kept my grid consumption down to just 20 KWH's even with just 9.7 KWH of solar. So I was under my total 30 KWH of power sucking.

I am semi hard at work trying to take my code fragments and actually make a nice program in the PLC. This is the 4th day out of 6, I missed the changeover and the inverter just sat waiting for me to kick it back to invert mode. I have ot get it automated.

So I am trying my first power fail test. I put a few small loads on the output side. Total only 100 watts or so. Solar is a bit weak with it being early and all the smoke and haze. It was up to 1,700 watts from solar. It was pulling a bit from the grid to charge the battery at 1,900 watts.

So I cut the breaker to the XW-Pro input. The loads did not seem to eve glitch, but my charge current dropped way down to 400 watts, but it is still charging. And the loads are still pulling 100 watts. I checked on the Enphase and the output is down to just over 500 watts. I logged into the Installer Toolkit and it shows only 5 inverters producing power. The other 11 show detected grid frequency out of range and shut down. It should take 5 minutes to reconnect. So I waited. It has now been over 15 minutes, and the other 11 are still offline. It should not take this long. The local grid is stable, the frequency is rock solid at 60 Hz, and the line voltage is just a tick high 121.0 volts. The other 5 iQ7's did not even glitch and kept making power through the switch off of the grid. I am going to give it a few more minutes and put it back on grid and see if the inverters will recover.

I turned grid back on and the XW-Pro qualified and connected very quickly and the charge current went back up to 1,700 watts, but it is taking 1,300 watts from the grid and only 5 micros are producing still, the other 11 are still not making any power. I have been back on grid over 5 minutes. If they don't wake up soon, I will shut down the entire Enphase system and turn it back on again and see if that brings them back online.

only 5 micros are producing still, the other 11 are still not making any power.
There is a guy on another forum that is having a problem with IQ7s because of the heat. He says Enphase is pushing a firmware upgrade to fix the problem. I just checked mine (4) and they are coming back as the skies clear.

That is odd that 11 of them will not qualify and connect. Hopefully a power cycle will bring them back.

On the XW, shouldn't it have the same 5 minute qualifying time? I under the impression that the 300 second delay was a code requirement.

I cycled the system off again, this time though, I did it at the breaker in the Envoy so the Envoy stayed online. It has been back on about 5 minutes and I now have 6 producing power at about 150 watts each. And it looks like this six only includes 3 or 4 of the original 5 that were producing. It may take a while longer for them all to come back up. I talked to my installer. If it is not all up by tomorrow, he will try and remote send a system reset.

On the XW, it can't export power for 5 minutes (yes by code), but it can start feeding loads in the home much quicker. In fact, it never stopped feeding the loads. It went from charging to invert in 8 ms and the loads didn't even notice, only some of the iQ's did. When the power was turned back on, the XW qualified it as good and started to pull current to continue charging the battery and supply the loads. If it was in a "Grid Sell" mode, it would have to wait the full 5 minutes before pushing current to the grid.

So this may be a bit of a pain.

I finally got one more to come online. I covered the panel, it stopped communicating, I waited 5 minutes and then uncovered the panel and it is back making power. I will do this for the other 2 on the lower roof. Not excited about trying to do the 7 on the upper roof that are still offline, they most likely will come on tomorrow morning. There should be a way to remote reset the inverters.

Lower roof is all back alive. All this because I tried a power fail simulation. I will send an e-mail to Enphase and see if they have a new firmware or some easy remote reset. Maybe a different grid profile. I have 1200 watts coming from 9 panels now. Yes the sky is still SMOKE.

Back