diy solar

diy solar

Advice on battery backup for power outages

For a business that had monthly electric utility expense of $5,000 per month, a $500,000 investment like the example would be a bargain. The actual cost to the business is really only $25,000 per year for 5 years due to the previous utility bill of $60,000 annually, and that is fully deductible saving on the tax bill. So even if the costs to a business was 10% of the $500,000 example, a $500 per month light bill and a $50,000 system, the math still works out for the business. After the initial outlay for the system and the writeoff, the former cost for electric utility goes right to the bottom line as profit.

Another advantage to any business installing a solar system is it is a hedge against future energy price increases. This will become a moving force for change in the business world. If a business adopts solar early, it can put the business at a huge advantage over competitors.

I just saw that a 6 battery rack of EG4 is around $8k. I would buy that for the Sol-ark. That is 30kWh. Remember you get 30% federal tax credit, if you have enough tax liability.

Thanks for the info ZWY
As I mentioned above, I don't have any where near 45k usage during power outs.
And I am able to run on a 5500 watt generator minus all the really heavy loads

I mentioned I am only interested in battery backups at this point
I don't have any space for a solar array
I am surrounded by oak and maple forest and full shade after the leaves come out
The roofs of the two buildings are not suitable for solar
So for now, replacing the generator with battery backup is my main goal.

I just saw that a 6 battery rack of EG4 is around $8k. I would buy that for the Sol-ark. That is 30kWh. Remember you get 30% federal tax credit, if you have enough tax liability.
Thanks, I will look into that
Do you have a link where you saw that deal?

Thanks for the info ZWY
As I mentioned above, I don't have any where near 45k usage during power outs.
And I am able to run on a 5500 watt generator minus all the really heavy loads

I mentioned I am only interested in battery backups at this point
I don't have any space for a solar array
I am surrounded by oak and maple forest and full shade after the leaves come out
The roofs of the two buildings are not suitable for solar
So for now, replacing the generator with battery backup is my main goal.
You have a few choices, basically install the backup system in the business and expense it out for taxes purposes. Run a feeder back to the house. That is how I get my internet at the house. When I lived in another town and the business was located away from the house, I setup a long range wireless network with access points between my house and the business. My current location, the business has internet service and I run a wireless link to the house. You can do the same with the battery backup.

Another choice is to install just a few solar panels with the battery backup to claim the tax credit if you are not writing off the battery backup as a business expense. Without solar panels, you don't qualify for the tax credit. In your case, it would make more sense to do the first option of running a feeder to the house from the business which has the battery backup.

Thanks
As I mentioned in previous post
Both buildings are tied together and both buildings have their own breaker panels
I can back feed from my business to the house just like I do when I run on a generator

The buildings are 75 feet apart
I had underground utilities installed to the business building
There are cat 6 cables for internet, phone lines, and power, etc
I don't use wireless. I have a gigabyte wired network in both buildings

Yes, this is an expense that I can write this off and I will
I am talking to my tax/financial guru today to see how can do this regarding the business
I will mention the solar panels to him and see what he says.

Thanks all for the help
I ordered the sol-ark 15k just now
Practical preppers in SC was offering free shipping in March so I only had a couple days left to do this.
I have not decided on what batteries yet

Thanks for the heads up Rich
I found that deal at Signature Solar in Texas

6 x 48 volt EG4-LifePower4 batteries and they throw in the rack unit for free
The rack sells for $549 on it's own
$8259 when you add this combo deal to the cart

And a shipping deal capped at $200 for the whole order
Not sure what 6 of those batteries plus the rack unit weighs, but it's really heavy
That much weight from TX to NC would have probably been $600 shipping (Just a guess)
I saw at another web site it was $300 shipping for just two batteries and a sol-ark 15k and that was only 49 miles away from me.

Anyway, I'll have another project starting soon
More of a longer term project as I add to the system
The Sol-Ark 15k arrives on Monday

Thanks for all the help and comments

Not sure what 6 of those batteries plus the rack unit weighs, but it's really heavy
About 700 lbs. Batteries are a little over 100lb each.
Watch your compatibility of those EG-4s depending on what you are going to have them interface with. And the compatibility is different for different versions. Make sure someone here has done it and has got it working. You can count on them working in "dumb battery" mode, but if you want to communicate to them in series, make sure that's been done successfully with your chosen inverter.

About 700 lbs. Batteries are a little over 100lb each.
Watch your compatibility of those EG-4s depending on what you are going to have them interface with. And the compatibility is different for different versions. Make sure someone here has done it and has got it working. You can count on them working in "dumb battery" mode, but if you want to communicate to them in series, make sure that's been done successfully with your chosen inverter.
The inverter is a Sol-Ark 15k
I don't know of any issues with this combo?

Back