diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

Tommy is that a big gen in the back ground?

I ordered some more Bouge rv 10ga pv wire… that stuff is expensive……. About $126 for 100ft red 100ft of black.

This sure is fun. 🤡🤣
IMG_6072.jpeg

I’ve used this on a few things

Fluke has one on Amazon for

IMG_6073.jpeg

About all this shit is Chinese now. The old Amp Probe were the best I ever used but disappeared over years. My shit gets legs or forget ruin them with leaking battery

D71, no 24000Vac transformer.

Thanks for the link!
Ok ….It looked od green thought it was one of those old military diesel generators. I’d love to have one of those.

Old 10kw diesel with single or three phase.

the frame looks even better without the fiberglass body on.

IMG_4423.JPG

I still get a smile each time I look at this speed controller :LOL:

IMG_4422.JPG

the brakes are internal of the drive pully, carp! and they are bad :(

IMG_4428.JPG

looking at this option

Capture429.PNG

the tires look brand new. :love: still have the mold lines in them.
but the fiberglass is going to need some work. :) something new to play with, never messed
with fiberglass repair before.

IMG_4431.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG

Last edited:
It would be something but bet it still runs. Your lead acid batteries could test it. Be a lot of jumpers. - 3 batteries 🤣😀

Old corvettes are pita the fiberglas gets all checked and cracked lot of work Sometimes when restored a new crack pops up. That shit is flammable if using gas torch or welding near it. Funny thing the welding blankets are often fibreglas though. Wear covid mask put it to use when doing your repairs. 3m makes much better mask ….

IMG_6080.jpeg

I’d bet in many years to come we might discover fiberglas is worse than asbestos. That is mask …. I wore doing fiberglas bondo work on cars bikes and such. Not wearing one is why old autobody guys are not around. That plus isocynayes in old dupont centari enamel with hardeners and imron paints. Use to see ad in papers old hotrod for sale by spouse - husband past then mention it was painted with imron. For those paint need a much better filter or supplied air. They - isocyanate paints polymerize your lungs and are moisture cure. Think it methyl Isocyanates is What leaked and killed all those ppl in India think it was DOW Chemical around 20,000 or 30,000 ppl died. Most of dead ppl were found in their beds as it happened at night from the news paper at the time. However Isocyanates make Good product for automotive paints just need a lot of respect. Hell old enamel paints were filled with lead why they lasted so long. Paint chips taste good. 🤣 Paint companies still get sued over that - ppl claiming expose to lead paint - retardation. .
This isocyanates is in everything.

It takes lot of time and good deal money do good bodywork and paint.
You might want to do bodywork then take it to autobody shop to spray it. Or rattle can. 🤣

I’d throw some batteries in it and see if it still ran. I like the old stuff because it is ultra simple and worked

Runs very nice, very quite, very smooth, and no bearing noises :love:

the forwards/back switch still works also, wow!

even thou it only has 3 speeds, if it had brakes I'd take it around the block 🤪

IMG_4432.JPG

this old starter relay still works, wow!

IMG_4425.JPG

Last edited:
D71, back when I was playing with cars (70's, 80's) there was a place call Earl Scheib I may check to see if they are still around
They - Earl Scheib had $79 paint job. 🤣 Those days are gone. Maaco might do it if they are around. I painted my own stuff. Good charcoal 3m filter mask. Tractor supply enamel with isocynant hardener works good too. Those cheap harbor freight paint guns work too.

We painted our buggies at old work place with rattle cans it never stuck …. We chemically cleaned then sanded them before hand. Still failed Lasted few years. Lot old fiberglas buggy bodies are Gel Coat like on boats.

I figured that old setup still worked. They built stuff to last back then.

Maaco might do it if they are around.
D71, there are a number of Maacos around me. when I get ready for that I'll give them a call.

I'm going to try using 2 part epoxy to fix the fiberglass.
I should be able to put a few pop rivets to hold it in place.

IMG_4433.JPGIMG_4434.JPG

Capture430.PNG

Last edited:
It takes lot of time and good deal money do good bodywork and paint.
D71, if I can get it painted(the fiberglass only) for $300 I'd do it, if not rattle cans or "cheap harbor freight paint guns work too"

I'm thinking navy blue would work with the beige frame

this is the best match I can find, still don't know who made it.

Capture431.PNG

**edit
found it! 1962 Sears Roebuck T-Mate golf cart

now I'm thinking sky blue :LOL:

Capture432.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
A 12oz spray can of paint is usually 8-9 oz of actual paint but you don’t usually get it all out . A mini paint gun is usually 4-5 oz paint and can add bigger cups. They are best paint guns for small things and some small guns you can put bigger cups on them. If you have local HF check them out.
These small guns work best with small air compressors. Large paint guns take to many cfm to atomize properly - need big air compressor. You might skimp by because the golf cart is small..

HF mini gun the previous version worked great….and was cheaper. It is gone This one looks to be built better. Resembles an expensive SATA gun.

Paint mid day not as many bugs…they love fresh paint die on it. Don’t paint when bugs are out like dusk - night. Solid colors are best - easiest.

IMG_6083.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpeg

IMG_6082.jpeg

IMG_6087.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg
Tractor supply Paint colors are limited. You could go to automotive paint supply and get a ss urethane and hardener doubt take a quart. Call talk to them in your area. Don’t get none of that water based shit.

This Paint once hardener has been added has to be sprayed or left to be dried out-than discarded afterwords. You will Need thinner too. Follow directions.
Take picture of label on can because after first pour paint will get on it. 🤣
That hardener decreases dry time and according to label “No Isocyanates.” They took the tech sheets down so maybe the instructions are on the can. Again get their recommended thinner if you decide go that route. Brake cleaner from “O’Reilly” auto parts works well for cleaning your paint gun. Remember paint is reflection of surface prep bad prep shows and paint won’t hide it. I diy to have tools for next project. Save money too. Most paint rattle cans if you go that route work best if you line nozzle up with spray mark. I prefer mini gun.

I think Evercoat makes best fibreglass and bondos. Follow directions. Bondo has very short working time before it kicks. Follow directions.

Got refund for my Mpp Solar wireless dongle …..saved that $100. Ordered it several days ago and they send email wanting all my inverter info. I asked them to just cancel. Got Solar Assistant on it. Going to add my Victron shunt and tie it in to Solar Assistant. I think battery reporting will be more accurate afterwords.

Was just looking online the paints have doubled or tripled in prices. Wow. Ppg Omni is good value automotive paint.
Are you still going with the Vevor blue and white seats?

I think Evercoat makes best fibreglass and bondos. Follow directions. Bondo has very short working time before it kicks. Follow directions.
D71, sweet information!

Are you still going with the Vevor blue and white seats?
D71, maybe at the start, I'm not a good color matcher, I'll talk to my granddaughter they
know that stuff.

I think battery reporting will be more accurate afterwords.
I get that, I'm also a big fan of lots of good data.

because I'm running my panel in parallel, I feel warm&fuzzy using this cheap 10ga wire.

Capture434.PNG

Last edited:
Maaco says $500 or $600 to paint the fiberglass body. :unsure:

I think of stopping at harbor freight, tractor supply this week.
first thing I'll need is an orbital sander, and some bondo.

Paint mid day not as many bugs…they love fresh paint die on it. Don’t paint when bugs are out like dusk - night.
with my GF gone I can put up some plastic, open some windows and turn the back
bedroom into temporary painting booth 🤪

hours of entertainment :)

Capture435.PNG

because I tend to convolute things, in order to get some more gear reduction
I'm going to mount the motor backwards from the stock motor.
the disk brake rotors are going on the added shaft also.Capture436.PNG

IMG_4435.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_6091.jpeg
One of the problems with pvc it breaks down when subjected to UV single sheath. I know thhn wire outer coating comes off in uv exposure. The insulation is usually nylon over pvc and it is suppose to be in conduit. That nylon is suppose to add protection for the pull. PVC breaks down under UV. Probably last rest of our life time though.

PV wire has timned wire, dual sheath, and suppose to-be UV resistant… again the wire is tinned too.

IMG_6092.jpeg

Hahaha I wouldn’t spray it in the house take months get smell out. I knew it would be expensive but never know. Paints have 2x or 3x gone up. Just paint for a car is $300-$400 for cheap stuff.

You need a better mask then one in picture for paints. That one in your picture I used for sanding fiberglass-bondos. .

These are better for paint. The filters serious degrade over time. Like the filter is our military mask.
[~
IMG_6094.jpeg
IMG_6095.png

I thought it was funny watching ppl during covid try to mask up and be so careful. Then grab mask touch all over them on outside and fold up put in pocket reuse over and over. The contaminates if exposed are all over outside. Not that a piece cloth would stop it. I knew a guy sprayed with t shirt material around his face and sanded with nothing on face. He died of cancer around 35. He was great autobody guy. Paininting and such was hobby…. I worked at Macco spray painting long long time ago for few months. You could get car painted for $300-$500 🤣 painting was fun and decent money for second job.

Anyway for covid scare the only mask that would protect would be full face to protect eyes. You should probably not wear them if have heart or breathing problems. So you might want to be real careful. These are usually 2 stage filter. Pre-filter then main filter. I have known ppl that paint with silly paper covid mask like so many ppl used….they blew lot of paint particles out of their nose.
The N95 works ok for sanding if fitment is good. BTW I’ve used some good electric da too. Hook and Loop mean you can clean paper…the air da - got several high dollar blow dust around with exhaust. That shit - dust gets everywhere. Air DA = Air Hogs big compressor.

Last edited:
Sweet information D71, Thanks!

today's task is to remove the stock motor/speed controller and see if the stock
brakes can be repaired.(I have my doubts, I put disk brakes on my bike and was very happy with them)

I would also like to get a cover made for it so I can move it out of my workshop(not a lot of space)

Last edited:
Technology is great.. Amazing the cost difference. I paid lot of money for fresh air supply about 20 - 30 years ago. It was no where near this good. But better than regular mask. Certifications run prices up.
IMG_6098.jpeg

No certifications
IMG_6097.jpeg

This is about like old one that I have for electric da. It works well. Not sure on this one and the price is 2x-3x higher then paid for mine. The hook and loop sand paper is great. Try 80 grit for removing old paint might have step down. Don’t use chemical paint stripper on fiberglass as it can contaminate and weaken old fiberglas. Do more harm than good. Have adhesion problems . Make sure to clean it real good with like dawn soap, flush well, and let dry …..wipe down with wax grease remover get rid of contaminates use it sparingly one light damn cloth one dry wiping. Let dry again…… before start…. If not might grind contaminates into fiberglass. Working with glass is pita. Boat repair is best sources on youtube … if you want to cut-sand and buff then gel coat sprayed on might work too. Most fiberglass like boats is a gel coat finish vs paint.

Boat repair videos are best.

IMG_6099.jpeg

I have a lowes 15 miles from me, that sander looks like it just right for the job. :love:

I adjusted the brakes and they seem to work good, no scrapping noises at least.
I'm still going to figure putting disk rotors on the jack shaft I'm adding just in case.

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

Last edited:
I have a lowes 15 miles from me, that sander looks like it just right for the job. :love:

I adjusted the brakes and they seem to work good, no scrapping noises at least.
I'm still going to figure putting disk rotors on the jack shaft I'm adding just in case.

View attachment 209914

View attachment 209915

Just remember further away from wheel for brake less effect and more stress on drive train. Think it was jaguar that moved brakes inboard next to rear end chunk lessen sprung weight. Problem was the braking force and sent through half shafts and universal joints that would sometimes break. The car would spin out. The Hummer had similar problem in dirt when get stuck if got big tires spinning and hit brakes could break u joints - cv and twist axles.

how fast do you plan to go? I like disc brakes on my bicycle. 🤡🤣 Make sure you shim the calipers to disc properly or get grab on disc or bad pad wear. 🤣🤡
Drum brakes have lasted a long time on back of modern trucks….they still use drums on some of them Especially big trucks.
That new motor and battery pack is going to move unless you regulate it back.

That new motor and battery pack is going to move unless you regulate it back.
D71, in the ESC I can limit it's current and rpms, the main reason for adding gear reduction is to limit starting torque
on the motor that should help with range of my battery pack. with the bigger motor I may look at adding some steel
supports to the current motor brackets, going from 1.5hp to 7hp, and 1500rpm to 5000rpm. :unsure:

crap! my boss just got back from a month long vacation, now I'm going to have to work
again. but I did it some panel pointed at the sun :)

There is one buggy brand Yamaha or club that used shear bolt setup in rear end they could only take so much before shearing. Not sure about your buggy.

IMG_6102.jpeg

I have to wonder how that would work?

IMG_6103.png

I put one of these on a big bore motorcycle that I built ….it was fast off the line.

We geared our locomotive electric traction motors for different duties…passenger high speed or freight heavy pulls.

Example old dc motor setup. The newer 3 phase ac is more in-depth. Getting an ac traction motors to jog - cable - move locomotive around with 64dc was a bitch. They have to be able move loco with diesel shut down… the old dc were simple. 🤡 🤣

Local buggy speed is - think 30mph here.

D71, that cute, I was just in a factory that made train rail switching tracks yesterday, small world.
they need an inches per minute display on a few of their big old planer mills.

Capture437.PNG

diy solar

diy solar
Back