diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

watching an old man putting a golf cart in and back out of a pickup truck
is kind of like watching an old keystone cops movie :LOL:

but I got something to test out my motor with for only $300, with no broken bones so far.

View attachment 209220
View attachment 209221
View attachment 209222
I’d helped you if been there. Bad back and all rest. That is an old one. 🤣😀 Had friend that built golf carts that would wheelie. 😀🤣 Make sure the frame is ok. Golf carts get frame cracks….old age.

I thought you already had a cart?

Last edited:
Make sure the frame is ok.
the frame ,tires and axles is the only good thing on it. hour of entertainment :)
it get to paint it also.
I think it's a 1964 :oops:

IMG_4390.JPG

I thought you already had a cart?
the one I first wanted was sold before I could get there with the cash, crap.

I'm just happy to have something to put that motor on. :)

they be asking big money for golf carts. :oops:

Had friend that built golf carts that would wheelie.
my wheelie days are long gone. :cry:

while I made the seat for my bike, I may just order 2 of these and save myself some time.

Capture418.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
the frame ,tires and axles is the only good thing on it. hour of entertainment :)
it get to paint it also.
I think it's a 1964 :oops:

View attachment 209230

the one I first wanted was sold before I could get there with the cash, crap.

I'm just happy to have something to put that motor on. :)

they be asking big money for golf carts. :oops:

my wheelie days are long gone. :cry:

while I made the seat for my bike, I may just order 2 of these and save myself some time.

View attachment 209231
Waterproof? Been satisfied with Vevor products. Some boat seats are not. Should be…. If you have Tractor Supply check them for seat too. 🫣 Those old tube frame carts were probably Chromoly steel tube and tig or gas welded. Probably Stronger than modern lightweight ibeam frames. . 🤣

What voltage is - was it?

Good golf carts use be ~$500 until they allowed them on roads

Ultra simple motor control

Did your inverter come with wifi dongle?
D71, no, just a serial communication cable, but I could make one wifi with the new
Arduino Nano's with built in wifi and using the cable they gave me.

IMG_4393.JPG

What voltage is - was it?
I never looked, but I bet if I connected my 24V pack, I could turn the motor.
it's from the 60's IMO , I would guess 12V or 24V or maybe 36V.

*edit

it is 36V
IMG_4397.JPG

Ultra simple motor control
D71, very simple :oops:

forward/reverse :LOL:
IMG_4396.JPG

speed control :ROFLMAO:
IMG_4395.JPG

crap, I was thinking of pulling the fiberglass body off today so I could have it painted, but someone welded the seat rest on.:(
I've always wanted a welder, guess now is a good time to get one.
IMG_4398.JPG

looks like I may need to increase the ratios of the pulleys, the old motor top rpm as 1500, my motor is 5000

Had friend that built golf carts that would wheelie.
the old motor was 1.5hp, my motor is over 6hp, I bet I could do some wheelies. :LOL:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Just think how long that motor and motor control have lasted. Almost shame to replace them. 😀 baldor made good brushed motors back then. They had motors down.

650watts seems to be working …. But good sunshine. The 10-12% draw by system with raspberry 2% of that is disappointing for over night draws. Everything has a cost.

IMG_6047.jpeg

Are those the $60….230watt panels you mentioned? Make sure the wind doesn’t catch it. I don’t lay my panels in back yard - they tried to take off during big wind storm. That is a big shadow near your panels. Amazing how the shadows move around from different times of the year. Last thing you want is shaded panels or them to fly away..

Picture of My temp 325watt x2 = 650 watt array
EcoWorthy ground mount brackets were on Black Friday sale they were cheaper to-buy 3 so paid $89.99 each. It was bf before last. If you mount thicker panels to these mounts then the Ecoworthy brand will have to get different clamps like on amazon. I got some new clamp mounts from Amazon for about $30….mix maxed hardware

IMG_6010.jpeg

These are basically Unistrut. Most likely will go back with 4 each 390w bifacial panels where this is at but on permanent basis I am going to extend this one with parts from 2nd kit, use a leg in middle from 2nd kit and have all 4 panels on edge of old swimming pool deck to block it in.. I took pool out. Plan on Building going where pool sat. Will mount those panels in picture to the new storage building to provide power to it with small 24volt inverter - 24volt battery setup….

Plan setup new solar tracker to right side of picture but have to wait get building in. I need building set up to Check shadows. I am also looking for specific kind of new building so makes it more difficult. The buildings are crazy expensive now. Keep thinking of dropping in 20’ shipping container mounting panels side and top.

Black Friday is best time to buy things from this and most place or just get unistrut - lowes - home depot sell strut. I think Unistrut is sold in 10ft sections at big box stores at around $30-$35 a section.. probably stronger then wood. Termites won’t eat on it. 😀

IMG_6051.jpeg

Have to use the Unistrut hardware bottoms these are made for channel for bottom clamp.
IMG_6052.jpeg

Last edited:
Are those the $60….230watt panels you mentioned?
D71, yes these are 230W.

Make sure the wind doesn’t catch it
while far from perfect, my 5 panels I put out in the fall, are still there after winter.:)

I got 300lb ballast holding the treated 1/2 plywood frame to the ground, the 4X8 plywood sheets are
held together with 3 hinges on each side(make adjustment a breeze), each panel is held onto plywood
with 4 200lb zip ties. (one at each panel mounting holes location)

IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG

them clamps in the amazon link seem they would be much easier to hold the panels down then
fucking with the zip ties. I ordered some to try out. Thanks!

Last edited:
D71, yes these are 230W.

while far from perfect, my 5 panels I put out in the fall, are still there after winter.:)

I got 300lb ballast holding the treated 1/2 plywood frame to the ground, the 4X8 plywood sheets are
held together with 3 hinges on each side(make adjustment a breeze), each panel is held onto plywood
with 4 200lb zip ties. (one at each panel mounting holes location)

View attachment 209376
View attachment 209377

them clamps in the amazon link seem they would be much easier to hold the panels down then
fucking with the zip ties. I ordered some to try out. Thanks!
I seen the hinges Those zip ties need be uv resistant. If not get brittle as hell There are Z brackets that mount to panel then screw them down too. Used on roof mounts.

D71, I'm looking to try these, if I use T-Nuts on the backside of the plywood, I can hang
the panels much easier by myself, zip ties takes 2 people and 2 holes per location,
I hate asking for help from my kids, or my little brother.

Capture423.PNG

Capture424.PNG

Last edited:
D71, the way the zip ties are installed they never see the sun, they are on the backside of
the plywood surface.
The bolts are metric in the kit. M8 1.25 you will need bolts for the 5/16-18 nuts
Don’t remember the length.

Been doing things by myself forever too. Sucks but….

Last edited:
you will need bolts for the 5/16-18 nuts
D71, thanks, I've got a Ace Hardware 2 miles from home :)

lawn mowing season has already started here :unsure: having an Ace that close comes in handy.
my mowers are almost the same age as my golf cart, :LOL: I have 2 69 Dixon 44" ZRT mowers :LOL:

the only reason I like the Dixon mowers is they have a mechanical transmission, easy to teach
the grandkids how they work and how fix them, easier for me also.

Capture426.PNG

Last edited:
D71, I'm looking to try these, if I use T-Nuts on the backside of the plywood, I can hang
the panels much easier by myself, zip ties takes 2 people and 2 holes per location,
I hate asking for help from my kids, or my little brother.

View attachment 209384

View attachment 209387
What's the cost difference of unistrut vs the plywood you are using... Could make your frame out of strut like D71 mentioned.

What's the cost difference of unistrut vs the plywood you are using..
42ohmsPA, big I would think, each 4x8 sheet of treated plywood cost $40.00 each, $120.00 :oops:
to make 3 sided that can only hold 4 panels.

my thinking here is half the panel collect morning sun, other half late day sun. 🤪

the only reason I made it that way is so I can remove the ballast and move them as needed.
I'm trying the point the panels between trees, I still don't have a good read on the sun's track yet.(first solar season syndrome)

IMG_4409.JPG

Last edited:
42ohmsPA, big I would think, each 4x8 sheet of treated plywood cost $40.00 each, $120.00 :oops:

my thinking here is half the panel collect morning sun, other half late day sun. 🤪

the only reason I made it that way is so I can remove the ballast and move them as needed.
I'm trying the point the panels between trees, I still don't have a good read on the sun's track yet.(first solar season syndrome)

View attachment 209423
Hmmm buying at a big box store you'll pay about the same price for 4 10' sticks of strut. Even cheaper at an electrical supply store. Throw some hinges on the strut, make an a frame and anchor it to the ground.
Would be a heck of a lot easier to deal with than sheets of plywood. Could probably fit more than 4 panels too and last a lot longer.
Just some food for thought.

Attached my redneck strut mount I threw up to gain some extra production.

Attachments

• IMG_20240205_171120__01.jpg
    IMG_20240205_171120__01.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240204_172825.jpg
    IMG_20240204_172825.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 4
Would be a heck of a lot easier to deal with than sheets of plywood. Could probably fit more than 4 panels too and last a lot longer.
Just some food for thought.
42OhmsPA, I have plans to stop at home depot today, I'll take a look. thanks for the heads up.

bolting together plywood sheets is a pain for one person.

Last edited:
42OhmsPA, I have plans to stop at home depot today, I'll take a look. thanks for the heads up.

bolting together plywood sheets is a pain for one person.
The Ecoworthy kits shine in value because of over all pricing for all components to me.
A single unistrut foot at Home Depot is $27.35 x 4 = $109.40 Vs Ecoworthy ground mount at normal price ~ $130 delivered. You can join them together. Seen it on youtube what made me go with them. Can ground the metal mount in one spot…. Done. Unistrut seem easy to work with the kits have lot of assembly due to being cut for packaging.

Look on youtube can see them used in all sorts of ways. I originally thought about mounting the rack on wheels….almost trailer like. Some people screw them down to box or just 2x4. I would imagine you get snow so want them above snow level. Try out various angles too. There are online app calculators for best angles and directions for your area too.

Some ppl just use treated 4x4 and 2x4.

Shading is pita. Not everyone has good access.

We used a type of unistrut - but heavier for mini cranes. The ratings vary ….check them online. Sure you know this but… Scrape metal places sometimes have metal pipe, square tube, and tracks you can adapt. Prices use to be cheap at those places usually paid set price or by the pound. Repurposing……

I like steel much better than wood. All weather Plywood was $60-$80 a sheet during post pandemic. Advantech was crazy high too. Reading through forums ppl vary how mount panels.

IMG_6060.jpeg

The span is shorter with Ecoworthy ground mount then 10ft sections. I’d think the joints are weaker then one whole piece. Measure your panels leave room for clamps.

IMG_6062.jpeg

View attachment 209423

I would also suggest a cover on your IBC container, green water is not fun even if you just use it to water the garden.

Just remember you get most everything in ecoworthy kit for ~$130. Look on youtube ppl have great ideas on how to use them in various ways.

For my 4 each Canadian 390watt bifacial panels need ~165” just for them and additional space get clamps installed.
Combined weight of those 4 panels is ~252 pounds. They are awkward by myself.
Each
  • Weight: 62.6 Ibs.
  • Dimensions: 83.9 x 41.3 x 1.2 Inch

Why I did not buy those big panels. The 500-600 watt panels are big as sheet of plywood. Heavy - awkward too.

I have been considering putting 4 Ecoworthy 195 watt out to compare with the Canadian Solar 325x2 = 650watt array have out now.

The EcoWorthy 195watt bifacial panels are feather weights. Expensive…at ~$150 each. The 390watt were ~$196 each at the time plus shipping. Prices and availability have dropped considerably. I can drive go get them now. 4 of the 580-600 watt panels would be nice.
Size: 52.6 x 26.4 x 1.4 inches (1335*670*35mm), weight 20.48 Lbs.

Unistrut post

EG4 MOUNTS.

Another

Just wood

I get strong winds here. 😡

Eye candy wood
https://youtube.com/shorts/xcAwujfTN64?si=brElTOubFF2NEuoz

anyone have a link to an amazon CLAMP ON DC amp meter that they know works?

I'm looking at this one because I have used Klein Volt meters for a few years without failing.
Capture428.PNG

diy solar

diy solar
Back